+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    If you have private health you will have alot more options.

Over the lady two months I have been inpatient in 3 public hospital Psych wards and they are seriously atrocious. I literally had to beg for them to take me which was traumatic and humiliating all at once and one place I can't even remember what my bed looked like they had me so drugged up. Then sent me
    Out off my face on anti psychotics and Benzos with a prescription for 5 drugs and a train ticket.

I have just got private health and plan to
    Go somewhere proper in May. In the meantime I am kept balanced by a cocktail of addictive drugs.

we have PHI but its extras not hospital cover..

i think my anti deps arent working anymore and i need different ones..

i also think i have another disorder but i dont know........

do you know much about schizophrena or hearing voices?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take mental illness just as seriously as a physical illness.

The stigma in society associated with mental illness is alive and well

It is hard to get help, it is hard to get additional support once there is a diagnoses, it is isolating!

Peoples advice of things like "just snap out of it", "tough love it what they need"....etc etc etc make me want to scream.

So much needs to be done for additional support for those diagnosed with mental illness, their families and carers to bring this level to one of being adequate.

It is exhausting!

Frenchie I haven't been on lately as we have been moving so I hope things are going okay with you. I think about you a lot and hope you are getting support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    we have PHI but its extras not hospital cover..

i think my anti deps arent working anymore and i need different ones..

i also think i have another disorder but i dont know........

do you know much about schizophrena or hearing voices?
    Maybe add hospital on
    So you can get some
    Decent help. It's only a 2 month wait for
    Psychiatric.

I believe I have borderline personality disorder and a couple of shrinks have said so too. I always knew there was more. I dont know about hearing voices but I hear evil thoughts if that makes
    Sense.

What anti d's are u on? I'm
    On pristiq and it works for awhile when the dose is upped then stops
    Working. I'm on the max
    Dose now so I'm getting through on
    Xanax and suboxone. I just stopped my
    Olanzepine (anti psychotic) because is was making me put on weight.

Hugs to you, I really can't stress
    Enough getting private cover for inpatient xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post

It is hard to get help, it is hard to get additional support once there is a diagnoses, it is isolating!

Peoples advice of things like "just snap out of it", "tough love it what they need"....etc etc etc make me want to scream.

So much needs to be done for additional support for those diagnosed with mental illness, their families and carers to bring this level to one of being adequate.

It is exhausting!

Frenchie I haven't been on lately as we have been moving so I hope things are going okay with you. I think about you a lot and hope you are getting support.
    Well
    Said.

Thanks Cherilee. I am
    Winning at the moment. Being back
    At work helps. I'm on Xanax, not ideal
    At all but it's getting me
    Through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Yes, most definitely. I have a major depressive disorder and anxiety. Some days, I can't face the world, I can't go to work, nothing. It sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, though ywo people come to mind who I believe were playing on it.. A few direct quotes...

"I have multiple personalities. I need lots of presents for xmas"

"if you need to murder someone, tell me and I will, I'm mentally ill and won't go to prison"

"I don't need to look for work. I convinced my case worker I'm unemployable." ...they literally didn't shower for 10 MONTHS to maintain this charade...
    "I can't shower now, ill have to find a job"

........enough said!

However, those who are legit and struggling, sometimes I wonder if its even harder for them to live day to day than someone who say, is confined to a wheelchair?

If we seen a wheelchair comming (most decent people) make room/help to make it easy for them to continue on their way..... You can't generally see someone who has depression, anxiety, bpd etc do its harder to accomodate their needs if you don't know...

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that FOR ME, it's actually been much harder to deal with mental illness than any physical one (or physical pain). It's so hard to explain, hard to describe, and hard for people to believe you or not treat you like a freak when you tell them.

I say that I suffer anxiety as a matter of fact these days... I the more of us who do, the less stimga there will be... but I know it can be pretty hard to open yourself to the kind of criticism that could come from it. Mine's controlled for now, so I feel strong enough to say "I have anxiety," the same way I could say, "I have brown eyes."

I think some people think you're BSing or making excuses... even when they believe you, they often don't understand what it even means. They don't get that it can make even the most simple task a difficult one, especially since I can tell them that I am aware how absurdly I'm reacting to a situation, I cannot stop myself from feeling that way. Rationally knowing my reaction is abnormal doesn't mean I can stop it from being so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post

It is exhausting!

This is my biggest problem...no family support. They live in the dark ages where mental health is 'rubbish...sweep it under the mat and get on with your life' attitude. I'm very lucky my dh has stood by me and done as much research as he can to help me. If I had family support I don't think I'd be nearly as bad as I am now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely get where you are coming from.
    My dh has bipolar and my parents are less than supportive of either him or myself. Dad is getting better and has made an effort to understand but mum just hasnt at all. She always says I "make too many allowances" for him...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is very much as serious as a physical illness. I have suffered from mental illnesses and make it a point to be as open about it to friends and family so they know it's ok to be honest if they aren't feeling well mentally. I really wish there was more support for them, but so many people who haven't suffered it, or known anyone who has, refuse to believe it even exists. DH when we first met, honestly didn't 'believe' in mental illness - safe to say he does now! ;p.

I think I deal with it easily, as besides myself, my sister, father, mother, best friend, at least 3 cousins, friends by marriage etc suffer from it, so we all live surrounded by it on a daily basis, and it becomes your normal. Personally I suffer from OCD, heavy anxiety (daily panic attacks) body dismorphia and depression that swings back and forth. OCD and Anxiety are prevalent in my family the most. I choose to not take anything to help, besides trying to get it out of my system by talking/writing about it - and keeping a mental checklist to talk myself down from a panic attack, I carry water, tissues and an asthma inhaler around like security blankets, because if I have them, I know I should be fine, unless it's a huge one where you literally feel like you're going into cardiac arrest or just about to die, which thankfully hasn't occurred in a few years!