+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I consider mental health issues as important as physical health issues, if not more.
    Why? Because mental health is an under reported issue that people find difficult to get help for due to stigma, fear, lack of understanding. More effort and support is needed to help people with mh issues as they are often vulnerable and unable to access needed help.
    Also mental health issues can create physical issues - neglect for physical health can lead to deterioration of health.
    I have personal experience with mental health as I have anxiety and experienced severe anxiety and depression during my pregnancy. I am only now 3 years later finally feeling some significant progress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Good
    To hear from everyone. Unfortunately
    I think the small
    Cross
    Section
    Of
    Respondents doesn't represent the outdated views of
    Many people
    Out
    There

Sorry about my weird typing, I have new
    Nails and I'm finding it
    Hard on my phone lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely. In many ways I think mental illnesses are more difficult to deal with. It can be much harder for people to acknowledge themselves, for others to be supportive of, to find appropriate treatment.

We're going through some of this at the moment... My partner has just (finally!!) been to see a doctor regarding his depression. Unfortunately, he got a dud. There are far too many doctors and other health professionals out there who don't seem to take mental illness seriously.

Unfortunately, as you say OP, the responses here aren't an accurate representation of the views of the general population. I think that's changing though. I'm 24, and most of my friends are in their 20s. I have 4 friends with some form of mental illness who are very open about it. There are then my partner, one other friend, and another friend of my partner's who all appear to have depression but are not at all open about it. Of all my friends and relatives above the age of 35, I don't know a single person who is open about mental illness. Also, having spoken to high school students about mental health in the past, the majority are usually very willing to acknowledge mental illnesses as real and significant illnesses.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a ramble, but my point was that within my experience... the younger people tend to be more open about mental health, less likely to attach stigma to mental illness etc. Hopefully that's true across the board and attitudes are changing...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Tbh I'm wary when people say they have a mental illness as I just don't understand it properly.

I can comprehend a physical illness or disease state very well as well as some mental illnesses like bi polar, multiple personalities etc but I don't quite understand anxiety or depression.

Maybe its cos I'm under exposed to it IRL? I know I get anxious or depressed from time to time but usually changing my lifestyle fixes it. As far as I'm aware I have no one in my immediate circle that suffers from a MHI.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    for me personally my depression is like this : bouts of suicidal thoughts, uncontrollably crying for hours for no reason, unable to get out of bed, cant shower, eat , sleep...rapid heart rate, huge mood swings ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    for me personally my depression is like this : bouts of suicidal thoughts, uncontrollably crying for hours for no reason, unable to get out of bed, cant shower, eat , sleep...rapid heart rate, huge mood swings ...
    Similar to my depression. Is hours major depressive disorder?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-10-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Tbh I'm wary when people say they have a mental illness as I just don't understand it properly.

I can comprehend a physical illness or disease state very well as well as some mental illnesses like bi polar, multiple personalities etc but I don't quite understand anxiety or depression.

Maybe its cos I'm under exposed to it IRL? I know I get anxious or depressed from time to time but usually changing my lifestyle fixes it. As far as I'm aware I have no one in my immediate circle that suffers from a MHI.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I have described depression on here before as the following: imagine winning a million dollars but being unable to feel anything but numbness, sadness and deep sorrow. That's what having depression felt like for me, no matter what I was completely unable to feel an ounce of happiness... this went on for months and I honestly thought I might die. It wasn't just a bad mood or a passing stressful moment, it felt as though I had been zapped of the ability to ever feel anything besides dread ever again. And that's a good word to describe the feeling, actually; utter dread, all day, every day. It is an absolutely horrendous condition and very, very real.
    Or imagine the way you would feel if someone you loved died ( sorry that is very hypothetical and the only example I could compare depression with), well to me that is what depression felt like, but no one had died.
    Added : I can totally understand how people who have never experienced it or saw a loved one suffer through it could find it hard to understand. That's why we need more awareness and less stigma. Depression does not mean you are crazy or insane. No one chooses it. It often actually can be caused by hormone levels and chemical imbalances.
    And just because we can't see the brain, doesn't mean that it is not a real thing iykwim, the brain is physically there and is the part affected by mental illness so, it kinda IS a physical disease...
    Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 12-10-2013 at 17:05.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Similar to my depression. Is hours major depressive disorder?

no one has ever given me a proper diagnosis... just told i have sever depression but for me i think theres more but i dont know who will listen to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    no one has ever given me a proper diagnosis... just told i have sever depression but for me i think theres more but i dont know who will listen to me
    It's soo hard to get proper help. I'm still struggling...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    It's soo hard to get proper help. I'm still struggling...

im sorry you are struggling..

i actually want to go to an inpatient clinic or something to get intensive help but i dont know where to even start for that

Thanks
    Reviews
    im sorry you are struggling..

i actually want to go to an inpatient clinic or something to get intensive help but i dont know where to even start for that
    If you have private health you will have alot more options.

Over the last two months I have been inpatient in 3 public hospital Psych wards and they are seriously atrocious. I literally had to beg for them to take me which was traumatic and humiliating all at once and one place I can't even remember what my bed looked like they had me so drugged up. Then sent me
    Out off my face on anti psychotics and Benzos with a prescription for 5 drugs and a train ticket. I was also in a public detox back in May.
    Never again.

I have just got private health and plan to
    Go somewhere proper in May. In the meantime I am kept balanced by a cocktail of addictive drugs.