+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I should add, in my last job I had to deal with a lot of people who were out of work and were suffering from various mental illnesses. For a lot of people, especially males, getting back to work can be the best thing for them. A lot of the ones I met had lost a part of their sense of self worth. There were a few we helped get on WorkCover because their illness was debilitating but the vast majority wanted to get back to work and get busy.

I know when my anxiety plays up, it actually does turn physical as well as emotional. I have extreme physical responses. I'd imagine for some it could be more debilitating than some physical illnesses.
    What you have said about people going to work and feeling a sense of worth is so true. With a huge number of the people I deal with, one of the most important things we find is getting them out doing something (volunteer work or even just doing activities) in the community. It can be tough with some very unpredictable people, and unfortunately with the stigma attached to some mental health clients (instability) a lot of places wont allow the more serious cases to do the volunteer work. It's a bit of a vicious circle! What would benefit them, they cant do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinky Doo For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes absolutely. I have a couple of auto immune diseases and go through terrible anxiety at times too - It makes me feel a million times worse when I talk to people about it and they respond with, 'but you look fine'.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CocktailBubba For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Yeah,
    It's atrocious. It made me feel
    Even worse about myself, the public
    System. I bet you see
    It all.
    Yes I see it all.
    There are some people who shouldn't work in healthcare, especially mental health...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Dinky Doo  (11-10-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (11-10-2013),kriista  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely. After dealing with PTSD and depression for many many years and marrying my husband who has bi-polar it is a subject very close to home. My mum is actually heavily involved with Beyond Blue and MHAA and there are some exciting things on the horizon. We need to get the word out that mental illness is real, but it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree patience. I have been very open on here with my
    Struggles for that very reason and I tell people irl too if it comes up.

I hate it so much but I am trying so jars
    To
    Not
    Be
    Ashamed
    Anymore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do. In fact I have a lot of sympathy for people who suffer. I feel pretty blessed to have had a good life this far, but I do suffer from mild anxiety. Nothing worth getting a diagnosis for as I'm able to suck it up in general. The physical symptoms (nausea, vom and diarrhoea) are the hardest to deal with for me.

I think if I was one of this 3 people who have suffered abuse as a child I'd be over the edge! Circumstance plays a big role in how you 'deal' I think and I'm lucky to have lots of support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. But did I always? No. Not because I didn't believe it existed but because I honestly didn't understand how bad it could be. Seeing some of the things on this forum has really educated me. My only problem now is working out how best to approach it when talking with people.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I do. I suffer from anxiety and pts myself, and we have a history of mental illness in our family. I wish there was more awareness about it in the community

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, absolutely.

However, exactly the same as other illness...some people will milk it for all it is worth and some people with get on with things.

In both mental and physical illness there are truly some that are totally debilitating ....and variances in severity with each condition. For example, I have rheumatoid arthritis...and atm it is under control so i get on with it. There was a stage when it wasn't and I needed a lot of support.

It is often harder with "invisible" illness for others to understand but i see them as equally hard to live with....but some people will milk it and some people will really suffer and some people will work with it best they can.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For sure. Unfortunately it runs in my family, my Mum and both her sisters, and my Dad have varying degrees of it, so the chances of me ending up with it were quite high, and yep, after having kids I now have far too much first hand knowledge of it.

The thing that has been playing on my mind lately is how to try to 'future proof' my boys against it, as one in particular I feel could be at risk of it.

I guess I just have to be open about it, teach them positive coping strategies etc as needed...

I'd love to see prevention programmes for kids for this, and for drug and alcohol addiction, again which runs in the family <sigh> one I didn't get pinged with luckily!