+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMa View Post
    I think it's more of an out of sight, out of mind thing. If you've lost a leg - it's obvious and people make concessions. With mental illness its not as straight forward...
    Yeah and physical illness is relatively easy to get your head around. You catch a virus or infection or some organ isn't doing its job properly. Of course it's the same with MI- hormones are out of whack or synapses are firing wrong or whatever. But we've only recently discovered a lot of that stuff, so I think people will take quite a while to get over old superstitions and misconceptions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I should add, in my last job I had to deal with a lot of people who were out of work and were suffering from various mental illnesses. For a lot of people, especially males, getting back to work can be the best thing for them. A lot of the ones I met had lost a part of their sense of self worth. There were a few we helped get on WorkCover because their illness was debilitating but the vast majority wanted to get back to work and get busy.

I know when my anxiety plays up, it actually does turn physical as well as emotional. I have extreme physical responses. I'd imagine for some it could be more debilitating than some physical illnesses.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-10-2013),Miados2007  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Lilly. You are right. I have been in three Psyxh hospitals lately (public)
    And the system is atrocious. One I can't even remember the bed I slept in
    Because they had me so drugged up. One I had to completely
    Lose the plot several times
    And bang
    Doors down for them
    To admit me because i was 'out of their area.' I was suicidal and sat there being interviewed for five hours and got handed a business card for my area omg.

I have phi now and plan to get some
    Proper help in May. Until then I just have to stay heavily medicated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JessaKye View Post
    Zzz
    Are you sleepy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it's just as important. I work in mental health and often see the stigma around those with mental illness and how badly they are treated by both the healthcare system and also the general public

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Are you sleepy?
    Lol that would be my 2 year old who decided to play with my phone and made a creative reply.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JessaKye For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KnockKnockPenny View Post
    Yes it's just as important. I work in mental health and often see the stigma around those with mental illness and how badly they are treated by both the healthcare system and also the general public
    Yeah,
    It's atrocious. It made me feel
    Even worse about myself, the public
    System. I bet you see
    It all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, absolutely. As someone who works very closely with people who have some extremely serious mental health conditions, and also have close family members with varying degrees of mental health issues, I have seen the worst of the worst when it comes to mental illness.
    On the other hand there are hugely varying degrees of mental illness.. And that can be difficult for some people to empathise appropriately. For example, the person with mild depression is less likely to be understood as having a mental health issue than the schizophrenic sitting next to them, much like both of these are less likely to gain sympathy compared to someone who has lost an arm or leg (being that this is visable)..
    I believe that many many people think that a mental health issue is self inflicted or controllable and sadly that is due to their lack of understanding and knowledge and (dare I say) ignorance about mental health. I think that until you have either suffered yourself or seen someone close to you suffering, it really is hard to gain that understanding.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinky Doo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely. It's crippling!
    For example- a panic attack leaves me on the floor unable to breathe properly, heart racing (tachycardia) and sweating and feeling nauseous.

Pretty sure that's physical ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely I do.
    My dh has bipolar disorder so it has been a big learning curve for us.

Eta I suffer from anxiety which has gotten much worse since dh's diagnosis

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by kezanazz; 11-10-2013 at 15:58.