+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Unsettled 2 week old

DD has been so unsettled all day.. She hasn't slept at all! We've been up all night trying to calm her.
    Do they go through a growth spurt at this age?
    Has anybody else experienced this with their 2 week old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Have you got the wonder week app?

Maybe she's just overtired?

I remember when I had my dd2, I forgot just how much sleep they need at that age.

Will she settle in bed with you? That was the only way my son would sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Have you got the wonder week app?

Maybe she's just overtired?

I remember when I had my dd2, I forgot just how much sleep they need at that age.

Will she settle in bed with you? That was the only way my son would sleep.
    Nope... I think she's overtired as well but nothing is settling her. She'll fall asleep on me or DH then 15-30mins later she starts getting really edgy..

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Are you bf'ing?
    BF babies can often appear to be unsettled. I worked on the mantra if in doubt get the boob out. BF'ing cures just about everything in a 2 week old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP. There is a growth spurt around 2 weeks, so it could be that. It's also about the age when they 'wake up' and go from sleepy newborn to eyes-wide-open-discovering-the-world! Do you have a carrier you could put her in? Or maybe if you're bf'ing try feeding her in a nice hot bath (that used to work well to calm DS1).

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I found a really good swaddle helped with my DD- she likes to be swaddled with arms up and when I tried to wrap her myself I would suck majorly at it.. so I bought a love to dream swaddle, and she took to it like a duck to water. Her sleep improved significantly. She went from needing to be held all night long, to going down around 8pm and waking up around 3-4am.
    This week I have also started using her swaddle for naps, and I'm starting to see improvement there too. When it's really hot I plan on using sleepy wings instead, as they only cover her arms and not her whole body.

I think you just need to find that one or two things that your baby is really needing (swaddle, dummy, elevation at the head, fan on gently, white noise etc) and go with it.

Oh, and one last point. I was having trouble actually getting DD to go to sleep as well, until I remembered a good point Elizabeth Pantley made in her book No Cry Sleep Solutions- we need wind down time before we go to sleep. My house can be hectic- I have two almost 5 year olds on the go all day, they make so much noise and movement! So now before a sleep, I wrap her, get her Mummy Bunny (using it as a sleep cue) and we go sit on the rocking chair in her nursery for a feed. It's quiet, I can make it dark if I wish, and she can just unwind and gently fall asleep rather than being uptight and only falling asleep from exhaustion, which means she will wake up 10-15 minutes later anyway.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 2 week old too and find he gets really cranky if he's overtired. Are you putting her down when she shows tired signs? DS only stays awake about 1/2 hour before he gets tired again. When he starts showing tired signs (for DS it's yawning and hands in his mouth) I wrap him and put him in his swing or his cot with his dummy and 9 times out of 10 he'll nod off.

If she's not tired could she have a tummy ache/wind etc? I haven't had to use it but a lot of the mums in my DIG swear by Infants Friend when bubs is unsettled.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    How did you go today sugarskull?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put her down for a nap today and I watched her. She started to get angry, grunt and squirm. She was desperate to get her arms out of the swaddle. I unwrapped her, swaddled her from her underarms down & let her arms free. I placed her down in her side & she slept! Everytime she'd get edgy, she'd pop her hands up to her face & calm down instantly. She slept pretty much all day today. I guess she just doesn't want to be swaddled. ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1381477946.784939.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (25-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fingers crossed we all get some sleep tonight!