+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default So I get the house.. Now what?

My DH has decided he is going to leave, & leave DD & I in the family home.

I've been on the phone all day, & have done all the sums, I now have an idea of what my income will be post married life.

I now can't decide which I am better to do, obviously DH & I own the home 50/50 but still paying off the mortgage. do I rent it from him? Or pay the rest of the mortgage myself/buy the home?

Basically to rent the house from him & I put his child support payment towards rent, id only need to come up with an addition 130 a week. for an extra 100 (230p/wk total) I could pay the mortgage myself, but I don't have an capital to buy his half off him right away. Refinancing the loan would mean repayments would go up, I can't afford to pay much more per week.

WWYD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would you look at selling and using your half of the profit to buy a new home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd pay the extra if possible and buy him out at some point, otherwise sell and buy something smaller.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there any equity in the house ? If so, then yes you will need to pay him out, according to the correct % split. If there isn't any equity in the house, then you could pretty much just refinance the house into your name, with you as the title holder and mortgagee etc. However this would still need to be stamped through the courts (and you should still seek legal advice on this also), in order to get the house over to your name without any stamp duty etc.

But the decision is ultimately up to you, if you want to stay in the house, with the mortgage, or if you want to move on and have a smaller house or rent etc.

Please take into account as your income side of things, and affordability, child support (if any), and any rent assistance from Centrelink and any FTB A and/or B.

Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4LeafClover For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (10-10-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was in this exact situation, we paid 1/2 the mortgage each, (which in effect meant he paid the mortgage, and then paid me only a remainder of c/s every week) and I used the PPS to live off.

We put the house on the market, and split the proceeds, and I have luckily been able to buy my own place now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't pay stamp duty if you buy him out. Keep that in perspective. Go see a mortgage broker... And a solicitor. You don't pay 50/50. At worst 60/40. You only give him 40% maximum of the equity in your home, if you have custody of your child.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @mumtobe36yo what would the split be with the mum having custody of 3 children? (I did 50/50 with my ex, I know I was soft on him, I want some ammo next time he tells me I ripped him off!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you will probably have to sell the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If the split is amicable I'd see if you can both continue to pay it off together. Get more equity in it. Also who knows if the split might make you both realise you want to be together? Then you still have the family home.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    @mumtobe36yo what would the split be with the mum having custody of 3 children? (I did 50/50 with my ex, I know I was soft on him, I want some ammo next time he tells me I ripped him off!)
    My solicitor started off 80/20. They played it hard ball. And I settled against my solicitors advice 60/40, and I only had one child. My solicitor at the time was fantastic, he since passed away. But every time things get difficult, I thank him for looking after my better interests at the time.

At the time my ex and I were almost amicable, he didn't want anything other than money, he gave me full custody of my son at 18 months old...he really didn't want a child, was just too immature at the time even though he was 35. Enter his new partner 6 years later and my ex wanted 50/50 custody. My solicitor had passed away by this stage but his legal paperwork and paper trail, have got me through the past three years. My son is now 9 years old. I don't mind my ex seeing my son, in fact that's what I originally wanted, but he didn't fight the custody arrangement at the time. He sees his dad regularly now of course. But my solicitor forewarned me of this, and had prepared something of the kind if circumstances change. Bless him! Saved me heaps in solicitor costs when things turned ugly.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumtobe36yo For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (10-10-2013),Mummy Potato  (10-10-2013)