+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Yes, hence why I said *usually*
    I know in the public sector in SA we only test for rubella unless there would be a specific reason to test for the others
    Well in NSW I'm pretty sure it is routine because like I said I was tested for it and I don't think I was a special case since no one ever mentioned it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spoke to my OB's nurse. She said that ordinary measles don't cross over the placenta, so the baby would be fine, but I wouldn't have a fun time of it!

No need to completely avoid being around my step-sons, but limited contact is probably best just in case - I don't need any extra strain on my system - so changing our weekends around to go past the quarantine period is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you remember how many measles shots you have had? If you have had one you are 96% covered, if you have two you are 99% covered. In Australia, it depends on when you were born as to how many shots you have had because they didn't introduce the second booster till sometime in the 80s. I was born in 77 and only received one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post
    That's what I thought Gandalf.

Unfortunately you can't get vaccinated while pregnant as the vaccine contains live virus so it's not safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty sure I've had 2 beebs. One when I was little, then one starting high school. I was just under the impression that they recommend you get a booster shot done something like 7-10 years afterwards?? I remember seeing a poster up in the docs office once that said something to that effect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, not with traditional measles, 2 shots and you are done. Some people lose immunity to rubella and need to continually have shots, but I've never heard of it with normal measles.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post
    Pretty sure I've had 2 beebs. One when I was little, then one starting high school. I was just under the impression that they recommend you get a booster shot done something like 7-10 years afterwards?? I remember seeing a poster up in the docs office once that said something to that effect.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No, not with traditional measles, 2 shots and you are done. Some people lose immunity to rubella and need to continually have shots, but I've never heard of it with normal measles.
    The 7-10 year thing is most likely for whooping cough, you can lose immunity from that vaccine and actually catching the disease from 4 to 10 years, total PITA!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is no recommendation for boosters for the MMR vaccine for anyone except for women planning pregnancy who have a blood test showing low levels.
    (I'm an immuniser).
    A PP mentioned having one vax you are likely to gain immunity 95% of the time, this is correct.
    The shot you got in high school depending on your age may only have been Rubella (if you are as old as me!) the MMR vax only come available in Australia in 1985 or 1986.
    Not to scare you but the immunisation handbook does state that Measles in pregnancy can cause preterm delivery or miscarriage but not any congenital abnormalities.
    There is a very good chance you are still immune from your childhood vaccines but a vaccine immunity can wane over time.
    If your partners ex is immune there is no issue here. If she is not, she is not infectious at this stage.
    If she has the vaccine within 72hrs of exposure she will not be a risk to the kids or you.
    The kids should be immune if they have been vaccinated as it won't have been that long ago, so they cannot bring it home to you, don't worry.
    I'd suggest the best thing to do is to ask your gp to test your immunity. That will put mind at rest when you come back immune.
    Maybe she will be agreeable to testing as well?
    I'm happy if you want to ask me any questions.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (11-10-2013),Atropos  (10-10-2013),beebs  (10-10-2013),Gandalf  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks bubbles that's great info, much appreciated I definitely had the MMR vaccine, I was born in 1985.

We won't be seeing the kids for another couple of weeks anyway so definitely well past the time where they would show any signs of infection. DH talks to them on the phone almost every night though so they still get to have some contact.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (11-10-2013)