+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Potential exposure to measles - paranoid!

Please tell me if I'm being overly paranoid about this.

My DH's ex-wife had to go to hospital the other night as she needed an injection to stop her throwing up (stomach virus). She got a call the next day asking her and her boyfriend to come in and have an injection because there was a baby with measles in the emergency dept at the same time she was.

Even though my step-sons didn't go to the hospital with her, she was home with them for almost a full day before receiving the jab for measles. Technically she's the only one that's been exposed to the virus, but if she picked it up at all she's potentially spread the germs around her house - which could lead to either of the boys getting it. One of the boys has a weak immune system as it is.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with measles?? I know it can take around 14 days for it to manifest after exposure, so DH has rearranged the boys usual weekend stays to basically quarantine them. I'm 14 weeks pregnant and not sure what my immunity is like to measles as I haven't had an immunisation since my early teens.

There's an outdoor event on this weekend that I'd like to go to, but I know they'll be there and I don't want to be mean and tell them that they can't come near DH and I in case they're infectious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if your dr tests you but mine did when I first found out I was pregnant. They dont normally tell you if your immunity is fine. I was boderline under so just had to stay away from big events

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post
    Please tell me if I'm being overly paranoid about this.

My DH's ex-wife had to go to hospital the other night as she needed an injection to stop her throwing up (stomach virus). She got a call the next day asking her and her boyfriend to come in and have an injection because there was a baby with measles in the emergency dept at the same time she was.

Even though my step-sons didn't go to the hospital with her, she was home with them for almost a full day before receiving the jab for measles. Technically she's the only one that's been exposed to the virus, but if she picked it up at all she's potentially spread the germs around her house - which could lead to either of the boys getting it. One of the boys has a weak immune system as it is.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with measles?? I know it can take around 14 days for it to manifest after exposure, so DH has rearranged the boys usual weekend stays to basically quarantine them. I'm 14 weeks pregnant and not sure what my immunity is like to measles as I haven't had an immunisation since my early teens.

There's an outdoor event on this weekend that I'd like to go to, but I know they'll be there and I don't want to be mean and tell them that they can't come near DH and I in case they're infectious
    Measles is very contagious. If you are in thè same room as someone with measles and you don't have immunity, there is a 90% chance you will catch it. Did you not have a blood test to check your immunity? If not, you can ask for one.
    Are the boys vaccinated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure I was tested for immunity, but I think that was only for rubella (german measles)?

I think the boys were vaccinated when they were younger, but not sure if they've had the booster shot that's recommended for teenagers. Do you think it would be unreasonable for me to ask their mother to get it done? She has been very understanding about rearranging the weekends, which I'm thankful for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post
    I'm pretty sure I was tested for immunity, but I think that was only for rubella (german measles)?

I think the boys were vaccinated when they were younger, but not sure if they've had the booster shot that's recommended for teenagers. Do you think it would be unreasonable for me to ask their mother to get it done? She has been very understanding about rearranging the weekends, which I'm thankful for.
    I think they should have the booster regardless- it's important for them as well as the community

If you were tested for rubella you were most likely checked for measles too, it's worth a check though. How many days will there be between the exposure and the outdoor event?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Atropos. She was exposed on Friday night, the event is this Sunday, so just over a week. Symptoms usually start 10-14 days after exposure though.

I'm actually just waiting on a call back from my OB now to see what she says so I can stop stressing about it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to let you know
    They usually only check rubella, not measles in pregnancy
    Its just that the vaccination contains both, so you'll get immunised for measles again if you need the booster shot :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I thought Gandalf.

Unfortunately you can't get vaccinated while pregnant as the vaccine contains live virus so it's not safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Just to let you know
    They usually only check rubella, not measles in pregnancy
    Its just that the vaccination contains both, so you'll get immunised for measles again if you need the booster shot :-)
    I was checked for immunity to measles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    I was checked for immunity to measles.
    Yes, hence why I said *usually*
    I know in the public sector in SA we only test for rubella unless there would be a specific reason to test for the others