+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Swimming Lessons

HELP! I just had a very heated discussion with my husband about whether we should persist with our 2 year old son's swimming lessons. And I need opinions and advice!!
    He HATES them! Gets hysterical. I want to continue as I think it's important - perhaps look into private lessons but my husband thinks we shouldn't push him he's too young for it to make a difference.
    I grew up a strong competitive swimmer - my husband did not. I remember seeing kids in primary school barely able to swim 25m and I do not want that for mine.
    Am I being unrealistic? Should I wait until he's old enough to reason with?? Or stick with it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    New teacher, new pool, but definitely stick with swimming lessons.

I wouldn't care about competitive swimming, but I do think its important for kids to be able to swim. It may just save his life one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest cried for the first term, not hysterically, but tears every lesson. We kept going and with lots of encouragement and a great teacher it got easier.

I also found that going to the pool together for fun (outside lesson time) really helped too. Dd2 was difficult, I got into the pool with her every lesson. I'm glad we perservered with it, they both love the water now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not going to commenting if you should keep him in or not but you need to be doing lots of swimming with him, one half an hour lesson a week is not going to help a kid that hates water, lots if water play with you will make a huge difference

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maximum22 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (09-10-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm with your husband - I put DS into private swimming lessons as soon as he turned 2 and he went from loving the water to hating it - I took him out after 6 weeks and now at nearly 3 I've taught him how to jump off the side of the pool and dog paddle to the side , he loves the pool/ beach again and I think ill start proper lessons again maybe next year - all they need to know at that age is water safety and to enjoy it and get used to the water- if he's hating the lessons take him out and wait until he is ready - 2 is too young , there is plenty of time to get him proper lessons later

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take him out if he hates it that much. My DD went at 6 months and hated it. I took her back at 3 and a half and she loved it and is a really strong swimmer now at 5 and a half. I personally hate the water and it stems from being made to go in at a young age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would pull him out and do water play yourself. At 2 they aren't taught too much anyway.

My son hated the lessons and at 4.5 I have just enrolled him at a private pool and he absolutely loves it. He has passed his first "preschool" level in just 3 weeks - there are only 8 levels and he will go through them over the next 1.5 years til he starts school

I think if he really hates it then the stress might mean that he never really loves swimming, but if you give him a bit of time then next time you try he might feel differently

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you know what he dislikes about it?

Is it that he hates the water? Being without you in the water? Hates the teacher? Water too cold? Etc etc

My ds1 cried for 2 terms this year (he's 3.5). He didn't like that the teacher wouldn't hug and cuddle him.

I didn't want to give up, not because I was mean but because I thought that there will be a fair few people in his life who he'll have to learn how to deal with.

So I persisted.
    On top of that, we went to Hawaii this year and all the practicing at swim lessons suddenly came to fruition. He enjoyed that he knew how to 'nearly swim'.

We got back from our trip and he's a different kid- confident in his ability, cracks jokes with the same teacher and constantly has a smile on whilst in the water.

If you think that this is the best place for him to learn, then I say keep at it& add in practice with you and dh.

If you can swap him elsewhere then maybe do that.

My ds2 hated one of the teachers that he had- and he was only 1 at the time. But she really was scary looking and very loud, so we took him out. He wasn't going to learn anything other than fear with that lady.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pull him out too. Forcing it might just make him hate the water even more. And like others said do water play with him, go to the beach and get him used to water and swimming in a more relaxed environment then start lessons again later on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From around the age of 2 some children start to develop a fear of water. This lasts usually around 6-12 months. My son had this fear and we were advised by the swim school to stop lessons and bring him back in 6 months. My friends daughter was also like this but her fear extended to the bath/shower. For months my friend would flannel wash her and wash her hair outside whilst she sat on a stool. I remember reading other hubbers stories a couple of years ago. You might like to do a search. Good luck.