+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was little.
    3.5kgs (7lbs 7oz)
    I was induced at 12 days over which ended in a c-sec.

My second was big.
    At 37 weeks I went for my check up and was told due to the babies size I wouldn't be able to have my VBAC.
    When I asked how big we were talking the OB just looked at me and said "big"
    I requested a GD test as the one I had at 28 weeks seemed high to me but was apparently fine.
    2 days later I got a call from the hospital asking me to come in.
    I was 37w 3d and just as I was about to leave to go to the hospital in regards to the test results my waters broke and contractions started pretty quickly, I was 6cm by the time I got to the hospital and was getting peeped for a c-sec.
    Turns out I did have GD, hence big baby, and she was born via c-section at 37 weeks 3 days weighing just over 5kg (11lbs 4oz)

In my case my large baby was a natural start to labor at 37+3 weeks which seemed to progress faster.
    And my smaller was an overdue induction that seemed to take forever.

I don't think size was the cause, I think it's just that every pregnancy is different.
    I've heard of people have the opposite to my experience.
    I don't think a "big baby" is a reason to induce either.
    I wish I was never induced with my first and just waited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was 40w + 12d when I was induced with prostin gel and my dd was 4.3kg or 9lb8oz.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My first son was average-ish at 4kg at 40+11.

My second son was bigger at 4.8kg at 40+8.

I would never be induced, unless there was some other indication that the baby might get stuck. Particularly as I had a horrible post dates induction for my first.

People wince when I tell them about my second labour, but he came out very quickly, with no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was attempting vbac with my 2nd. I had a growth scan at 38weeks to check my pelvis and his head. He estimated to be 9lbs I was asked if I wanted to be Induced and I declined. I went into labour naturally spot on his due date but complications ended in emergency c sect. It had nothing to do with his size. He was born 8lb 12oz

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onelasttime View Post
    My first child was 4.3kg and was two days overdue. He got stuck (shoulder dystocia) which is very dangerous. He was very close having his shoulders broken.
    I went onto having three other children.
    I had scans at 38 weeks with all to make sure they weren't going to be as big. If they were I was going to get induce. I wasn't going to risk them getting stuck.
    But lucky all my three were in the 3kg range.
    This is very similar to my story. My first was 4.07kg, but her abdominal measurement was larger than her head measurement which is why I had the shoulder dystocia. She had nerve damage to her arm which resolved spontaneously.
    With my next 2 I had late growth scans, not just to check size, but most importantly to check the head/ abdominal circumferences. My OB and I agreed if the head was smaller or if bub was over 4kgs I'd have a csection. But they were fine, so I went on to have 2 early inductions at 38,4 and 39,2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine two biggies where DS 4.32kg/ 9.5lbs 1 day early.
    DSS 4.52kg / 9.96 lbs 2 days early.
    So certainly not true in my case.
    DSS I was measuring 5 weeks ahead both scans and measuring. His shoulders where measuring bigger then his head but there was no talk of early induction as induction in itself increases the risk of shoulder dystocia. I researched this to death at the time. Three main risks previous shoulder dystocia, induction , large baby. The first twobeingbthe biggest risks.
    They took big baby precautions as they called it . Lucky, as he did get stuck but it was managed well and all good in the end.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 11-10-2013 at 10:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Size estimates are really inaccurate anyway so there is no way I would be induced early for a 'big baby'. I had a 9 pound 11 baby at 42 weeks. No one mentioned anything about his size until a couple of days before he was due and even then all they said was "He feels like a good size". If they had tried to induce me early for any reason other than mine or my baby's health, they would have been told where to go.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My biggest bub was born at one day shy of 42 weeks, he was 9lb 4 but being a homebirth, there was no pressure to induce, I wouldn't have done so in any case.

I did have a nosy and out of line GP say to me 'that's going to be a big baby, you are going to have a hard birth!' (I was there about a horrible cough I had ) and I took great delight going back to him after the birth saying 'Oh I had a 4 hr homebirth, it was great!!' Douchebag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At a 36week scan my bub was measuring in the 37th percentile for head circumference. We had a meeting with an Ob to discuss the results and possible birth options. We were told, due to new research they no longer recommend early induction based on scan results and to come in for another meeting if he hadn't arrived by his due date as they wouldn't allow us to go more than a week over.
    He arrived 1 week early and weighed 4.24kgs. A long, assisted birth (vacuum extraction) and shoulder dystocia. Bub received a subsequent birth injury and spent 3 days in intensive care. I'm glad bub was able to arrive in his own time but I'd hate to think what could have happened if he went over! I think I would have decided to be induced on or near my due date. Everyone is different and no two pelvises are the same.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My first was born at 40+3 3.7kg, 2nd was born at 40+3 4.3kg, was told my 3rd would be huge at 33 weeks they estimated bigger than my 2nd..she was born at 41+5 at 3.5kg (no nothing wrong with her placenta, it was huge and healthy!).

All were born spontaneously, the last 2 at home.