+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big babies = early birth ?

If you have a history of birthing "big babies" even though the birth was uncomplicated natural ....is it true that the drs will not let you go beyond 40 weeks?
    2 women I know are preg with their 3rd bubs and both have been told they will deliver before 40weeks or on their due dates. These women are perfectly healthy and their babies are measuring 'normal' so far at 33 weeks.
    one if them is trying to induce labour (naturally). It just doesn't seem right to me!?!!
    Thoughts??

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was on track to be a big baby and I wasn't induced until 41+5 and he was 4.3kg.

A potential big baby isn't a great reason to be induced in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Having a big baby shouldn't mean a csec/induction. Ds1was 4.41kg and ds2 was 4.35kg(spont births at 9days overdue) Id like to see the drs try to induce me with this baby.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son was one week over and was 4.6kgs... I'm not sure about the norm but i will be asking to ensure I don't go beyond 40 weeks. 10pd 3oz was big enough for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My second was 10 pound 7
    If I have a 3rd no way I'll let them induce me. He got a little stuck and pushing him out was hard, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to be induced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first child was 4.3kg and was two days overdue. He got stuck (shoulder dystocia) which is very dangerous. He was very close having his shoulders broken.
    I went onto having three other children.
    I had scans at 38 weeks with all to make sure they weren't going to be as big. If they were I was going to get induce. I wasn't going to risk them getting stuck.
    But lucky all my three were in the 3kg range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They wanted to induce me early as my baby was 'big' in the last scan & I said no. I was happy for them to induce me when I was a week over due only. They were ok with it. Ultimately it's your decision. Bub was 4.2kg when born at 39 +6.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hell no! My babies were all big- over 4.3kgs (except DS, he was my tiny bub at 3.6kgs) and not once was induction for size discussed.
    In fact my hardest birth was DS'.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Worst thing ever to agree too. I was induced with ds due to his size and I had a previous 3rd degree tear with dd after spontaneous labour. Ob thought induction was best at 38 weeks to avoid a huge baby and another tear. Ds resulted in a massive episiotomy, vacuum birth followed by surgery for me down there. I do blame all this on induction as he was coming to quick and my body wasnt ready. As a result dd2 is now a scheduled c section as my bits wont be able to take any more trauma.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was normal size and had shoulder dystocia...( sorry bout spelling!) so when my second was measuring super sized.... 4 weeks ahead.... I was keen to be induced early to give myself a better chance of a vaginal birth.... Despite being told they wanted to induce me at 37 weeks the hospital was too busy and fit me in at 39+4. My son was born just under 10lb.... He dislocated both shoulders and broke his collar bone. He was huge. There were a lot of complications with his birth and he had to be resuscitated which lead to more broken bones I also had a third degree tear and was told to have a c section next time . BUT I do believe that a woman knows what her body is capable of. I had a strong feeling I couldn't get such a big baby out and I was right but i sure as hell wanted to try, but I know people who have had bigger than mine no problems so I don't think a dr should tell you what to do unless there are other factors/risks. I hope that made sense! I am so tired!