+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips on getting a job?

Tips on getting a job? I've been applying and plenty of jobs are being advertised coming up to christmas. I think I've got a pretty good cover letter (that I'm editing to suit each job) but no interviews I think maybe it's because I haven't worked since 2008 & I'm young

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you had anyone else read over your cover letter and resume?

Might seem silly but when I was hiring if there was a spelling mistake I'd overlook the person. Having a second person check little details can help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Follow the application up with a phone call - it puts a real person behind the piece of paper. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If you haven't worked since 2008, have you filled the gaps in on your resume?

Have you put down 'home duties' or similar for a bit of an explanation? Otherwise you probably just look long term unemployed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Most places will hire juniors over the holidays but they won't put it in their ads that they're specifically looking for juniors. It can be very hard though. I thought getting back into retail would be my best bet when I went back to work but I struggled to even get an interview. I was out of the work force from July 03 to feb 13. 9.5 years is a darn big gap and according to most it was too much. I explained in my cover letter that I was getting back into the work firce after taking time off to be a SAHM.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Research the company, make sure your letter isn't just relevant to the role, but the company too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    If you haven't worked since 2008, have you filled the gaps in on your resume?

Have you put down 'home duties' or similar for a bit of an explanation? Otherwise you probably just look long term unemployed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Exactly this. Explain your personal situation in the application letter if you can- like you have taken a break to have children and wish to reenter the workplace. And to make sure you stand out you can 'jazz' it up a little by adding colourful font or enclose a photo. Stupid as it sounds, it helps to make a difference. And the less 'formal' and "professional" I made the application letter and the more personal - ie I use to put crap in like "this sounds like the perfect match as a job I can envision me doing this role for many moons" and "I thank you for taking the time to read this and wish you well for the upcoming holidays regardless insert smiley face" the more interviews I got lol.

As the pp says a follow up- a phone call or email will also show you are super keen and keep you in their minds. Ask in the follow up if there is any other details you could provide...

Good luck, I'm soooo glad I do not have to deal with that s..t any more, as much as I hate my job at times I really don't want to go through the process of getting another.

Edit: short, to the point and sweet is the best. If they see a big page if crap most ppl zone out.

Additional edit: never underestimate the power of humour and honesty (just don't go OTT lol).
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-10-2013 at 15:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find it best to simplify your resume in dot points and I break it down,
    Ie:
    Job title, company, dates between
    Responsibilities :
    -blah blah blah
    Skills Developed:
    -blah blah blah
    Achievements
    -blah blah blah

Thanks
    Reviews
    The last line if your cover letter should thank them for their time and state that you will follow up with a phone call in the next few days. Call in 3 days after sending the résumé.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your cover letter should be short and sweet or people will tune out. Also a pp said something about spelling mistakes and small errors. I was hiring for an admin position a few years ago, and we got over 140 applicants. I had 2 applications that I remember that came in, people had obviously sent in a generic cover letter and had not bothered checking. I had one applying for target and another for beacon lighting! Didn't read any further into those.
    I think if you have a good reason for not working since 2008 then absolutely explain that because I think most employers would see the gap in between jobs and give up, especially if they are getting as many applications as we did!
    What sort of jobs are you applying for?