+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Need advice on a very attached 2 year old please??

I think I'm in trouble but its more what my family and friends keep putting in my head. Have I honestly done this all wrong??

Okay DD is 2. We have never left her with anyone. She co slept and I guess you could say we took the attachment parenting approach. I have no one to leave her with and we do not believe in leaving her with strangers/babysitters so she goes everywhere I go and I mean everywhere. (I have no choice as DH is FIFO)

She is okay if we go out as in she will leave me to play with her friends but as long as she knows I am still around. My concerns are (yes I know its early) but how will she go to school? How will I ever get to do anything without her (even for an hour) How will I have another baby because I will have to leave her for a few days whilst in hospital and I worry about how DH will handle it??????

She's 2 so does it improve on its own? OR have I set myself up for a child that cant be without her mum? DH is telling me to stress less as shes still young and in a year these thoughts will be a thing of the past. I hope so but how is he to know he has no experience.

Experience please??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was/is very very attached too. She has just turned 3 and she is getting a bit better...but the time 18 months - 3 was quite extreme. DH is here all the time...but omg if he tried to do bedtime it sounded like she was being painfully tortured lol We had to get routines in place for me even to be able to leave to do the shopping...we still do these now but the intensity is lessening.

She has just started sleeping through (thank heavens) in her own room and is slowly getting more and more confident. In fact, i think her confidence comes from being so attached...if that makes sense.

Is it causing a problem now? If it isn't then just be happy that she is so safe and secure in your care. School will be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    btmac thank you that does give me hope

River SONG see this is the thing it gives me no problem now at all. I actually love it but its the future that worries me. Having another baby, school, what if an emergency means I have to leave her? I never worried until recently as family keep commenting on me being in trouble. DH and I love having her everywhere we go including dinners and family cant understand this as to why we take her everywhere but in all honesty we really love it. DH doesn't care what people think and never listens but for me I am feeling like I could possibly be doing my daughter more damage that anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You are not damaging your little one!! You are loving her!

DS is quite clingy too....he is 9 lol but he was fine at school/sports etc. He still prefers to have me there...but is very confident to go alone. He is more confident than most of his friends lol

Go with your gut...just love your little one and hold her close...in the future, you will have times where you want to hold her close but she will be all grown up!

If there is an emergency, deal with it then but don't limit your affection just in case.

When new bubba comes along, you will find more love...it will be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Loco! My DD is super clingy too. She does go to daycare and stays with family occasionally, but she likes to be near me and to be carried etc. It always takes her ages to settle into situations, even with family, and my FIL always tries to take her off me before she's ready and tells me I'm a 'party pooper' and that I should sneak off when she's not looking (no chance!!).

I can see her confidence improving though and I think having a secure attachment to me & DH is going to ensure she always feels like she has a safe place to come to.

I love taking DD out places too, she's so good in restaurants because we often take her out with us.

I reckon you're doing fine. She'll adapt when a second bub comes along (and she'll be almost a year older so will understand much more).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    You are not damaging your little one!! You are loving her!

DS is quite clingy too....he is 9 lol but he was fine at school/sports etc. He still prefers to have me there...but is very confident to go alone. He is more confident than most of his friends lol

Go with your gut...just love your little one and hold her close...in the future, you will have times where you want to hold her close but she will be all grown up!

If there is an emergency, deal with it then but don't limit your affection just in case.

When new bubba comes along, you will find more love...it will be ok.

Thank you so much. My family picked when I co slept then they picked when I baby wore, then they said let her cry more. You think its over then they start picking at something else.