+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping Difficulties/Insomnia

Is anyone having any difficulties sleeping?

Lately, I've had a lot of problems getting to sleep.
    For the past week it's been really difficult for me to get to sleep. I get drowsy, go to bed and just lie there, trying to drop off. Obviously can't afford to sleep in and am worried about functioning on zip. It's now starting to make me anxious.

I don't drink caffeine (although I did have some soft drink today...) or have a lot of sweets or anything like that. Trying not to allow this to make me anxious but I am starting to worry about it.

I see a lot online about insomnia but all the articles refer to third trimester and leg cramps, frequent urination being the cause. I don't have any of this - it's getting to sleep in the first place that is proving to be frustrating.

Does anyone have any routines/remedies that helped?

I don't want to have to go to a doctor for help.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had that problem in the second trimester. I leant a breathing technique in yoga that helped me. Take a big deep breath and count as high as you can while still comfortable (I would count to 4 as I could do that without getting out of breath), then out for the same count. So in, 1, 2, 3, 4, out, 1, 2, 3, 4, and repeat, and don't let any other thoughts enter your head except your breathing and counting. I'm not sure if it was the increased oxygen or just the distraction of counting, but this would usually get me to sleep in no time at all.

Good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm awake at the moment because of this. I woke up to pee, and I can't get back to sleep. I've been awake for an hour and a half... no idea how to fix it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had really poor sleep this whole pregnancy, between the getting up to pee, the not being able to get comfy, the trapped nerve in my shoulder, the waking up like clockwork at 5 am( if not before)... It's been a nightmare so I know exactly where you are coming from.
    I'm not going to be much help to you as I'm not sure if the only two things that seemed to have helped are a) coincidence or b) practical for you but here goes.
    I had a Vicks vaporizer for a while, the aroma therapy with that seemed to work for a short while (? Co-incidence) and currently my DH is overseas and I've been sleeping better. I think I'm easily roused and with him in the bed he keeps waking me and I can't get back to sleep properly.
    I'm in two minds to ask him to sleep in the spare room when he gets back.
    Other than those two things all I can do is send hugs and say I feel your pain.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been sleeping in the spare room for a week and my sleep has been so much better! I'm 24 weeks and prior to moving beds I would struggle to sleep more than a few hours a night with being uncomfortable only having half the bed to move around, DH snoring and just generally not being able to sleep. I fall asleep and don't wake till morning now!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RaaRaaMumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate the anxiety that accompanies sleeping - you worry because you can't sleep which seems to exacerbate the problem! I managed to fall asleep at 4.30am, woke up half an hour later and eventually dropped off again. Woke up at 8am so I'm grateful for the few hours I did get. Might try a vigorous walk today, ban soft drink (I enjoy a glass in the afternoon), and stop TV an hour or so before bed. See if that helps. Will try some breathing techniques too. Thanks, Ladies. At least I'm not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup I have always been a terrible sleeper but from second trimester to now (nearing end of third) it's been very bad. I will be tired all day and most times don't nap as if I did makes it worse at night, but even if I don't I still find getting to sleep very difficult. Then I finally fall asleep and wake up to pee. Or get Braxton hicks, it's just awesome and so over people saying it's to get you used to baby coming! At least I will be able to sleep a little when bub sleeps! I'm so uncomfortable with this belly too

Thanks
    Reviews
    The breathing exercise worked. I didn't count, just focused on each breath, making it deep and next thing I know I had two hours of sleep under my belt! Perhaps sleeping during the day wasn't wise but I just needed some sleep. I was relieved I got it.

I'm up now but no tv on and just getting ready for bed. If I can't sleep I won't stress about it, I'll just get up and read or try and relax in bed.

I'm also looking at nutrition options too - like an increase in fish oil and maybe taking some magnesium.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm still awake this is ridiculous ahh I get so frustrated and now bub wants to kick me and move like crazy looks like another bad sleep night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been getting restless leg syndrome the last few weeks which makes it hard to get to sleep. I've been applying a heat pack at bedtime which helps to some degree.
    It's also just harder to get comfortable now with my expanding belly. I use extra pillows in bed which is of some assistance. I tuck one between my legs or hug it or place it under part of my back so I'm on a slight tilt.

Definitely sucks when you're so exhausted though and unable to nod off.