+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 10 month old solids

My 10 month old ds has been happily eating solids since 4 months. For the past month he has decided that I am no longer allowed to feed him and he wants to do it himself. Whenever I put the spoon to his mouth he turns his head away. I've tried giving him a spoon and access to the food bowl but he just flings the spoon away. Some finger foods have worked but about 90% of it gets chucked on the floor. Getting through a meal can take up to an hour then ages for cleaning up. He isn't eating as much as he used to when I was able to feed him, and has started to wake up early or during the night for a bottle because he is hungry, something we haven't hd to do for months and months.

I'm trying so so hard to be patient and try to take the pressure off by letting him explore the food, play with the texture etc, but I'm starting to dread mealtimes because I know he won't eat much and I'll have to deal With a massive mess. I realise learning to feed yourself is a process but how can I make it easier for him and myself.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I feed my 9mth old we each have a spoon. Or he has a piece of food in his hand while I spoon feed him. Seems to distract him and I'm able to get food into him while he's still playing/experimenting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    When I feed my 9mth old we each have a spoon. Or he has a piece of food in his hand while I spoon feed him. Seems to distract him and I'm able to get food into him while he's still playing/experimenting.
    Thanks for replying. That worked for me for a week or two then he caught on to what I was doing! I hope it keeps working for you. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've noticed that my 10 month old dd sometimes closes her mouth up and won't let me spoonfeed. If I give her some food (this extra spoon no longer works) to play with she gets distracted. Especially that string cheese. .. I put a few bits out and she likes to squish it etc.. then will open her mouth. Also spreading some of the food on the high chair tray so she can stick her fingers in it and play seems to help too.
    I'm finding her quite difficult lately (moreso than normal!!) To feed. Unless it's something she really wants.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Its messy but the only way is to let him keep feeding himself, it may take a few days but its a learning process - at the moment it's a novelty as he is getting to feel the different textures and learning to bite and chew but once he works it out he will be fine and actually start eating more

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, sometimes I just need reminding that what I'm going through is normal and that I can cope without cleaning out my supply of Shiraz.

I didn't consider teething but he does have one coming though. Silly me!

This boy is teaching me so much about myself, like how to be pAtient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I've noticed that my 10 month old dd sometimes closes her mouth up and won't let me spoonfeed. If I give her some food (this extra spoon no longer works) to play with she gets distracted. Especially that string cheese. .. I put a few bits out and she likes to squish it etc.. then will open her mouth. Also spreading some of the food on the high chair tray so she can stick her fingers in it and play seems to help too.
    I'm finding her quite difficult lately (moreso than normal!!) To feed. Unless it's something she really wants.

Must be our bubs age tam.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Must be!! They are trying to show who is boss!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup definitely an age thing. Ive heard its the start of showing their independence. Finger food is the only thing working at the moment for us.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app