+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Who else hates open inspections? *vent*

Last week I gave my Property Manager our minimum 28 days notice - our lease ends 17th Nov. My Property manager informed me that they will start to have open inspections for our place next Saturday, I hate them! I hate strangers going through my house without my permission (not like we really have a choice to say no). I hate the stress of looking for a new place to call home & playing the waiting game to see if were approved. GRR!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (09-10-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never had one but I can imagine they are 10 times worse than rent inspections with people nosying about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I've never had one but I can imagine they are 10 times worse than rent inspections with people nosying about
    Yeah, its just awkward when people are looking through your place. I saw my place online and theyre listing it as $5per week less than what we are renting it for. Which I found really odd. I'm more stressed about finding a new place to be honest. I get stressed easily lol.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yes I hate them! And since we had our last house on the market through various agents for a total of 4 years with many, many inspections- I hate them even more!

And we thought the stress was gone once we moved... but of course having to rent, we are subjected to 6 monthly inspections! and the owner likes to come through with the agent too!

Our last inspection was scheduled for days just after DD was due, so I called and had it moved forward as much as possible. We got it out of the way, went on to have DD and then were subjected to another inspection for the owner who wanted the house valued for tax purposes!

Sorry, off on slight tangent- but I really, really hate having people go through my house

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I first moved out my first place I rented after 6 months out of our 12 month lease was put up for a private sale. It was so frustraighting having people come through when I had a newborn, and was like "oh a baby! Let's not wake it" at the top of their lungs while he was sleeping -_-. Anyway we moved once our lease was up & the house eventually sold 4 years later...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am actually moving out before I tell my property manager we're gone. All furniture and small items, cars, backyard equipment, everything will be gone. I've had a friend who had a nasty experience when a group of not very nice people entered her home and stole a lot of goods while she was home - she recognised them from the open they had earlier in the week. My brother's house was also open for new tenants recently, and there have been four attempted break-ins since. People use them to case joints. I know it's not always possible to get your things out beforehand but I would suggest hide anything at all valuable way out of sight.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (09-10-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate the pressure of feeling like the place has to be presentable whilst in the middle of packing/getting ready to move!! Luckily I haven't had to move for a while now, but the RE I am now renting through conducts routine inspections 3-4 times a year!! It's not as though we have anything to hide, it's just that feeling of being "inspected", and the stress of making sure it's tidy whilst single parenting 2 small kids and working/studying full time. Wish I could afford to buy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I am actually moving out before I tell my property manager we're gone. All furniture and small items, cars, backyard equipment, everything will be gone. I've had a friend who had a nasty experience when a group of not very nice people entered her home and stole a lot of goods while she was home - she recognised them from the open they had earlier in the week. My brother's house was also open for new tenants recently, and there have been four attempted break-ins since. People use them to case joints. I know it's not always possible to get your things out beforehand but I would suggest hide anything at all valuable way out of sight.
    Yeah I've always pretty much found a new place and moved before I gave them the 28 days notice. Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of starting to pack to make the place look a bit bare so there isnt heaps of our stuff on display.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Benji  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pack as much small stuff as you can as early as possible. I'd pack all photo frames, personal items etc away before open inspections. I hate people looking through at your stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The rental we lived in for 2.5 years was put up for sale when DD2 was a newborn, so we had an open house with a 6 week old baby! I did the best I could but TBH I wasn't particularly fussy, just made sure the place was tidy.

I did jam a lot of crap into my walk in robe, and closed the door. Someone during the inspection actually opened my robe door to take a look inside! I wasn't happy about that at all. I considered closed cupboards personal space.