+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning from BF tips?!

Can anyone share tips on how to wean my 17MO boobie monster?! She can't get enough morning noon and night! I know the WHO says 2 years is optimal but I feel like I've come to the end of my BF journey and want my boobs back with your someone clawing at them 24/7! Any help would be appreciated - I'm not into letting her cry but understand there may be some tears and disappointment involved. Just want to try to so this as gently as possible

Thanks lovelies

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I start by not offering not refusing and by cutting feeds shorter and shorter, eventually they will have 2 sucks and you can take them off than I moved onto refusing altogether as long as they are happy.

When I cut them shorter I try to distract them/offer a food or drink depending on why they were after a bit of boob.

I did this with both my boys and it only took a few weeks for them to completely stop with very little tears

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Night weaning is a good place to start, and it can help you to cope with the day feeds more. I have heard many people had success with Jay Gordon's method http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Also moving to set feeds, rather than whenever, can help and then slowly cut these down.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

IslandPrincess  (08-10-2013),me+he&she=three  (08-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first two babies, I did it gradually over about a month, just reducing feeds, using distraction and making sure they were having enough food and cow's milk during the day. I gradually got it down to one feed in the evening, before dropping that feed.

With my third baby, I weaned her at the start of the year, when she was 17 months old.

We decided to do it cold turkey as I had to go into hospital and thought I'd do it then as I was ready to wean her anyway. She was still feeding during the night (just for comfort), so the first night was terrible! DP got up to her, cuddled her and offered her water/cow's milk etc but she wouldn't have a bar of it and screamed. We got no sleep (I don't think the neighbours got any either).

The following night she screamed for 10 minutes or so, then had a drink of water and went back to sleep. By the third night I think she realised and pretty much slept through, and so all up it only took a couple of days for her to not be interested anymore.

The only thing I'd suggest if you do go cold turkey, is to keep expressing small amounts, so that you don't end up with mastitis (...as I did )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think night weaning first is the way to go & I did a combination of gentle encouragement at 2 years old with DD1 like telling her that no milk until the sun comes off, made sure she came straight off as soon as she had finished feeding, rolling her over and patting her to sleep versus falling asleep with a nipple in her mouth.

BUT you have to be really determined and not give in. I was pregnant at the time and in AGONY with feeding so I was tired, but determined.

She eventually bit me one night (by now she was 3.5) as I was feeding her to sleep (this was her only feed) and I said calmly that was it, no more feeding and that was it. I thought it would be very dramatic (mind you getting bitten was terrible!!) but, she took it well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IslandPrincess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I too would suggest you night wean first and then schedule the day feeds. You might feel much better knowing you are only nursing 1-3 times a day.

But if you get there and have still had enough then I'd suggest you use HOF idea of distraction.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone I may give night weaning a go as a starting point. I like the sound of the Jay Gordon method so will try that. She's been feeding 24/7 as in hourly pretty much day and night. I've had a hard time getting any food into her because she is full of BM so I figure this can't continue and she needs nutrients beyond what she can get from that. I honestly didn't think I would ever want to wean her until she was ready but I think it is best for both of us. I tried to give her an organic vitamin enriched milk/formula tonight after dinner to fill her up but she didn't want a bar of it...will be a loooooong ride that's for sure! Thanks for all the advice!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

IslandPrincess  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the same situation.. And have been putting off weaning because it's going to be a hard path to walk.. Good luck x

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MZmama For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (09-10-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    By the time I was weaning DD at 18ish months she was sleeping through so I just tried cutting down on the day time feeds - mainly by distracting her from it during the day. We kept up the wake up and good night feeds for about a month or 6 weeks after the day feeds stopped.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I night-weaned DS at 14 months- he was up all night and would only settle with a feed. I prepared mentally for a few tough nights, but it was so easy I wished I'd done it months earlier. When he woke at night I offered him water and told him there was no boobie until the morning and he had to go back to sleep. He woke a few times the first night, and I'd give him water and pat him back to sleep. And then the 2nd night he woke once. And the 3rd night he slept through. He's 2 next month and still occasionally wakes at night, but he'll ask for water or sometimes just have cuddles in our bed. But mostly he's slept through since I night weaned him.
    After that I tackled day feeds. I'm a slow weaner- I drop a feed every few weeks or so. In week 1 I skip the chosen feed every third day, then the next week skip it every 2nd day and the last week I only give it every third day.
    Then I tackle the next feed until they're all gone. I leave the morning and night feeds until last- I'll change the routine so it's straight up and breakfast before a feed. And at night I'll swap dinner, bath boob, bed to dinner, boob, bath then bed before I start skipping feeds.
    I've weaned this way with all 3 of my little ones and I find it fairly gentle on them and not too much of a shock on my over-producing boobs!
    Good luck.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (09-10-2013),me+he&she=three  (09-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-10-2013)