+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This annoys me. She should have been reffered to an endocrinologist. Most public hospitals have outpatient clinics. From there she would have been reffered to a diabetes educator and nurse. Its not a simple case of cut out sugar and take these pills. She also needs a glucometer and to be registered with ndss. Get her to see another dr.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Chunkydunks  (09-10-2013),Purple Lily  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm type 2 and the first thing I was told was to see the diabetic educator at the clinic and I was referred to an endo. I found out all my info about diet from these two and also what complications could arise if it went unchecked. It is a hell of a lot more complex that a flat "no sugar" thing.

Since being diagnosed I have had blood teats every 3 months. This is to check what your average bsl has been over that period of time. I have also been seen by a podiatrist because circulation to thw extremities can be poor and problems with the feet can occur. I've seen a dietitian (who knew nothing about a vegetarian diet so was useless to me but that's beside the point) and an exercise physiologist.

The main thing for her to know is that this can be easily controlled through diet. If she follows the advice given to her about diet (from the right people) she could get to a point where she doesn't even need the metformin. I am fully diet controlled but I take metformin to help with fertility.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (09-10-2013),Purple Lily  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    I'm type 2 and the first thing I was told was to see the diabetic educator at the clinic and I was referred to an endo. I found out all my info about diet from these two and also what complications could arise if it went unchecked. It is a hell of a lot more complex that a flat "no sugar" thing.

Since being diagnosed I have had blood teats every 3 months. This is to check what your average bsl has been over that period of time. I have also been seen by a podiatrist because circulation to thw extremities can be poor and problems with the feet can occur. I've seen a dietitian (who knew nothing about a vegetarian diet so was useless to me but that's beside the point) and an exercise physiologist.

The main thing for her to know is that this can be easily controlled through diet. If she follows the advice given to her about diet (from the right people) she could get to a point where she doesn't even need the metformin. I am fully diet controlled but I take metformin to help with fertility.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone
    Well done chunkydunks on being 100% diet controlled! Its easy enough in theory but 7 out of the 10 patients I used to see simply didnt have the disapline it takes. Good luck with it all :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Miados it annoyed me too! She told him how bad her diet is and she is clearly very overweight yet he sent her home with no information. Shes 120kgs and around 160cm tall.

She told me this morning that the only thing he did tell her was that she can eat fruit. But I thought you wouldn't be able to eat too much fruit because it can be high in natural sugars? Shes basically been living off it because shes confused at what she can or cant eat.

My mum has just dropped some diabetic cook books around to her so that should help. She has another appointment to get other results tomorrow so I have been nagging her to make sure she leaves with a referall. If she doesn't Ive already told her we will be going back together and getting one.

Chunkdunks thank you so much for sharing. Such a positive story and you should be so proud xo

Thanks again for your help ladies Its greatly appreciated by both my sister and I. I have passed everything onto her and she's very grateful for all the information

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi ladies just wanted to say thanks again for your help and thought I would update! She went back to the gp that weekend and he admitted that he had forgotten to give her a referall :/ The tablets were making her throw up constantly so she had to half the dose which seems to be working much better

She had her first diabetes education class today and has left feeling so much better and clearer about everything. She did mention that a lot of what her gp told her was wrong now that she has been to this class. I'm so glad I asked on here for help so really thank you ladies

Oh and a month ago she was 120 kgs....today she is 112kgs! Very proud of her
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 30-10-2013 at 12:54.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-10-2013),veggiemama  (12-11-2013),Witwicky  (30-10-2013)