+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bub measuring behind

I just had a Middy appointment and apparently bubs fundal height is only at 25wks (same as it was 2 weeks ago) although im 29wks tomorrow.

Im booked for an ultrasound to check bubs health at 2pm today.

Has anyone else been in this position and what was the outcome?

Midwife said it could be because of how bubs is laying (across my belly, not up and down) and not to stress just yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was measuring behind most of the pregnancy and the ultrasound results came back that dd was on the smaller side (but still healthy) and that I was very much baby, so not a lot of fluid. I was also already dilated and she was well engaged so that affected the fundal height.

I had to be monitored every week and faced early induction at every appointment if the ob didn't think dd was doing well. She ended up coming 2 days before her edd and completely healthy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

galoomp  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Baby's position can absolutely affect fundal height. Fundal height is only accurate if baby is head down, in an ideal position.

In my case, my fundal height stopped increasing, then went backwards, then Increased slightly. Lots and lots of ultrasounds showed that I had very low fluid, and baby wasn't growing well so I was induced. The decision to induce was made after multiple weeks of twice weekly monitoring, growth scans, checking fundal height.

One measurement that's slightly off isn't enough for concern. I dare say that your baby's position will be to blame. Don't stress yourself out over this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

galoomp  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. I know she is transverse, i can feel her across there and so did the middy. She's never been up and down. And in the last 2 weeks ive absolutly felt her kicking higher up, so i know my uterus has grown. Im not that concerned, more so excited to get to see her again unexpectedly, but theres always that niggle of worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My obs told me not to worry to much about the fundal height (mine was two weeks bigger than it should be) as it's not an indication of the baby size rather just the uterus size.
    If you bub is transverse (mine is too) the he/she could be as big as gestational age and you wouldn't be able to tell measuring the fundal height.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to stress . My fundal height was always behind with DS1. Around 30 weeks it was 24cm, so I was sent for growth scans fortnightly over the next 6 weeks and all was fine. They estimated him to be on the small side but his growth was above average, seems I just carried very small and he was tucked in nice and tight. He was born a very healthy 3.16kg.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

galoomp  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was like this but was a few weeks behind she ending up with IGUR where she had stopped growing & was born at 37 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I measured behind the whole time with DS (always 4 weeks). I had some extra scans and he was fine. At 38 weeks I was measuring 33 so was induced at 39 weeks for suspected IUGR. He was a healthy 6lb 5oz.

Second time around I also measured behind but my OB was comfortable with letting me go with only one extra scan. Went into labour naturally at 39 weeks (measuring 35). DD was 7lb 3oz. I just don't do big babies or big bellies.

All the best, I'm sure bub will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im measuring small for fundal height as well. My scan is on friday im 32 weeks. Last time she was checked she was also transverse and middy and ob both said fundal height doesnt work on babies in this position. I think shes turned now though as im feeling movement higher up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im measuring small for fundal height as well. My scan is on friday im 32 weeks. Last time she was checked she was also transverse and middy and ob both said fundal height doesnt work on babies in this position. I think shes turned now though as im feeling movement higher up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app