+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you get the MMR vaccine if you came in contact with someone with measles?

Would you get the MMR if you came into contact with someone who has measles ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No. Too late anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you'd never had the shot? Or if you had already had the shots as a child? If you had already had the MMR previously, then no, I would be confident that I was protected (as long as you had the two shots). If I had only had one, I'd ring up and ask the doctor.

If someone is unvaccinated and are in the same room as someone with measles you have a 90% chance of getting it. If it were me, I'd be ringing the doctor asap and asking if it would help to get the vaccine done.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-10-2013),Atropos  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This from the NT health website

If it is less than 3 days since you came into contact with measles, immunisation with MMR (measles, mumps and rubella vaccine) can prevent infection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The vaccine is actually recommended as prophylaxis to someone who is non immune if given within 72hrs of contact with infected person.
    Do you know if you are immune or not?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes vaccinated as a child and showing immune during preg blood tests 4 yrs ago and been exposed to it a few times since then. And yes as long as it is within 3 days of exposure the vaccine can protect. I was given the option yesterday but it was sudden and I like to think about things first and they waited til the last minute to offer it to me and I have never been offered it before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, for me, no I wouldn't do it. BUT, I am up to date with all my vaccinations anyway, so there would be no point

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many years will I be immune for ? I had a blood test to check immunity for most things as I had to have one for work anyway just hadn't got around to it, was prob the reason work offered the vax as they don't know my immunity status.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 08-10-2013 at 09:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    Yes vaccinated as a child and showing immune during preg blood tests 4 yrs ago and been exposed to it a few times since then. And yes as long as it is within 3 days of exposure the vaccine can protect. I was given the option yesterday but it was sudden and I like to think about things first and they waited til the last minute to offer it to me and I have never been offered it before.
    If you have demonstrated immunity I wouldn't bother, you don't need it!
    It won't do you any harm to have it but why have something you don't need right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    How many years will I be immune for ? I had a blood test to check immunity for most things as I had to have one for work anyway just hadn't got around to it, was prob the reason work offered the vax as they don't know my immunity status.
    This unfortunately is a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question.
    Some people have life long immunity, some people like me have waning immunity.
    It's quite possible that you are still immune from 4yrs ago when you last tested but it's just as possible your immunity may have waned.
    If they aren't going to do a blood test now, maybe it's best just in case to get the prophylaxis.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-10-2013)