+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Desperate

Just wanted to hear from REAL people whether or not you have had success with any of those things that claim to boost weight loss when you are already doing everything else right. Like fat blaster, skinny tea etc etc.

I'm a bit sceptical but also a bit desperate. I've hovered around 70kg since high school. It's on the upper end of a normal weight range for my height but I'm quite comfortable there. Even within a week of having my son I was back to 70kg. But weaning him was a different story! I weaned him 6 months ago and have gained 6kg! It's heading into summer here and I'm very uncomfortable

I have always exercised regularly and eat healthy but obviously something needs to change...help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I noticed no one replied so I thought I would. I worked as a PT at uni and compete in triathlons/Ironmen events so know a bit about nutrition, exercise etc here are some tips:
    • Get a bit stricter and more disciplined about your diet, i.e cut down or cut out sugary/salty treats, junk food, alcohol etc etc Diet is much more key to weight loss than exercise. E.g 2 Timtams are roughly equivalent to a 5km jog. So those little snacks can pretty much negate any exercise you do. That’s why it’s important to cut out snacks and treats, they are very small in size, but highly calorific
    • Simplify your diet, don’t get caught up with the diet industries weight loss products such as shakes, and diets pills etc etc. Speak to a dietician if you are unsure of what you should be eating
    • Exercise is great for weightloss, but a lot of people fail to lose weight through exercise, because they choose an activity that really does very little. Aquarobics, wii-fit, walking, swimming breaststroke, cross-trainers etc etc you will have people in forums such as BH that will swear blind they lost 50kgs simply walking round the block every day, take what they say with a pinch of salt. Consult a professional if need be. And like your diet, keep your exercise regime simple e.g running, riding, swimming (freestyle) and make sure each piece of activity is done for minimum 45mins at a reasonable intensity e.g running 7kms or swimming 2kms. There are lots and lots of fad and gimmicky exercise activities/routines/equipment around, you’ll see them getting plugged on TV 24/7, stay away from these.
    • Maybe enter a few road races or beginner triathlons to motivate you, start with a 5km road race and go from there

3. The Following User Says Thank You to unsullied For This Useful Post:

smeksyluvzherbabys  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying!!!

Believe it or not I decided to do the opposite of what I was doing as "if it's not working, try something else."

I think I was eating so little that my body was just constantly in famine mode and wouldn't budge any of my extra kilos.

For the past few days I have been allowing myself unrestricted access to food as long as it's healthy. It feels so good to eat again! And knowing that I can eat whenever I feel hungry takes all my cravings away....

I've also upped the exercise up a bit. Instead of doing a 4km bike ride with 2 year old I do a 12km one a few times a week! I'll weigh myself in another couple of days and update you on how this works out lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    Hi I noticed no one replied so I thought I would. I worked as a PT at uni and compete in triathlons/Ironmen events so know a bit about nutrition, exercise etc here are some tips:
    • Get a bit stricter and more disciplined about your diet, i.e cut down or cut out sugary/salty treats, junk food, alcohol etc etc Diet is much more key to weight loss than exercise. E.g 2 Timtams are roughly equivalent to a 5km jog. So those little snacks can pretty much negate any exercise you do. That’s why it’s important to cut out snacks and treats, they are very small in size, but highly calorific
    • Simplify your diet, don’t get caught up with the diet industries weight loss products such as shakes, and diets pills etc etc. Speak to a dietician if you are unsure of what you should be eating
    • Exercise is great for weightloss, but a lot of people fail to lose weight through exercise, because they choose an activity that really does very little. Aquarobics, wii-fit, walking, swimming breaststroke, cross-trainers etc etc you will have people in forums such as BH that will swear blind they lost 50kgs simply walking round the block every day, take what they say with a pinch of salt. Consult a professional if need be. And like your diet, keep your exercise regime simple e.g running, riding, swimming (freestyle) and make sure each piece of activity is done for minimum 45mins at a reasonable intensity e.g running 7kms or swimming 2kms. There are lots and lots of fad and gimmicky exercise activities/routines/equipment around, you’ll see them getting plugged on TV 24/7, stay away from these.
    • Maybe enter a few road races or beginner triathlons to motivate you, start with a 5km road race and go from there
    Two Tim tams are about 200 cals and would be about 30 mins walk - and if you eat them within your calorie allowance for the day there's no issue

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (11-10-2013),wilding  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    Two Tim tams are about 200 cals and would be about 30 mins walk - and if you eat them within your calorie allowance for the day there's no issue
    Yeah my point being a lot of people don't take these little snacks into consideration and they tend think the exercise they are doing is much more effective than it really is.