+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week

Default Centrelink and self employment

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with centrelink and working for yourself?

I posted a few months ago about being unhappy in my job. Not long after that I was let go but quickly found employment elsewhere. The big problem is that it doesn't cover my required hours and the work I'm getting is all night work (4.45-11 one night and 5-9.30 the other). What really annoys me is I said I was available all hours but preferred days and the manager interviewing me crossed out my preference and put any time. There were days were I'd do night shift, finishing at 11.30 and then have to start again at 8am. Also I told them gymnastics nights were Monday and Wednesday so I'd prefer them off. They are the two nights my shifts are on. I recently told them I was changing that to Tuesday night and now it looks like I'll be rostered on then too.

I'm clearly not being listened to and it's causing me a great amount of upset. My sleep patterns are all over the place (eg I slept from 4am-1pm today), I've developed a few health problems and others have reared their head again and I know they're all down to stress and anxiety. I get so upset leading up to a shift that I get physically ill at times. Worst thing is I can't leave until I have something else or my benefits will be cut off.

This is where I get to the point of my thread. I've posted a couple of ads on gumtree looking for work. Each time I've had several people ask me if I can clean their house. By now I'd have close to a full week of clients if I did this. I've knocked them back because I honestly didn't know how it would all work with CL and if they'd accept it as my required hours and what not. I'm getting to the point of desperation with it all. I've applied for a heap of jobs and only one has resulted in an interview. Most don't even acknowledge getting the application. Cleaning isn't really something I want to be doing but it pays the bills. So if anyone has an idea of how it would all work some advice would be great.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes CL will accept it as your required Hrs.

You need to get an ABN, which is free. Pay your own tax if you earn over the threshhold.

You will need to self report your income every few months to CL, letting them know how much you have earned then do a yearly statement.

Before tax you take off expenses, such as travel time and fuel and if you are cleaning, your cleaning expenses, any equipment such as vacuum cleaners etc.

Then you pay tax on the amount after expenses and this is the amount you declare to CL.

It's relatively easy once you get going. Just keep a spread sheet and back up spread sheet. And a log for your KM's driven.

How much are you looking to charge? I'd find out what the companies in your area are charging and charge similar amounts (or just a few dollars under to be competitive), most charge at least $25 up to $33, but i wouldn't go under $25 for that type of work.

Then contact those that have contacted you. Also do a little contract up to cover yourself, and have them sign it, stating cash money must be on the bench before you will begin work etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Awesome. Thanks so much for that. Going rate seems to be $25 an hour here. Some charge less if using the clients equipment which I'm thinking of doing until I get myself set up a bit better. Dad is an accountant so he can help me get all the bookwork side of it sorted. I've looked into public liability insurance and have the rest of the stuff already (police check, blue card and white card) so it's seeming pretty achievable at this stage.

Now I just have the big decision to make. Set it up as a temporary thing while I study or set it up as something more permanent and consider getting a car and equipment loan.