+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Time Mum Struggling..

Hi

Im a first time mum with my DD two weeks old.
    I am finding it hard adjusting to all the changes in my life. For example, out of my own routine and comfort zone. My DH has been amazing, doing house work etc.. I feel bad though ad I feel as though I should be doing these things. Something as simple as cooking dinner of a night time, I am struggling with..
    Does anyone else feel the same or are able to change their experiences..
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom88 View Post
    Hi

Im a first time mum with my DD two weeks old.
    I am finding it hard adjusting to all the changes in my life. For example, out of my own routine and comfort zone. My DH has been amazing, doing house work etc.. I feel bad though ad I feel as though I should be doing these things. Something as simple as cooking dinner of a night time, I am struggling with..
    Does anyone else feel the same or are able to change their experiences..
    Thanks
    It's been awhile since I had DS1 but I do remember feeling like I had to get right back into the swing of thing, I got over it pretty quickly. Mostly because I realised DH was amazing and really wanted to do all the things you wrote about, he wanted to help me and to be part of the process of me settling into life as a mum.
    I will admit that life as a mum is a massive change, but give yourself time to adjust, it will soon feel natural.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CassJ For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't cook dinner for... oh I really don't know, weeks at least, although it seemed like months.

Adjusting to parenthood is HUGE, especially if you're the primary carer. Honestly, if you and your daughter are fed and alive at the end of the day.... what does it matter if you live off of crackers and can't see your floor for a few months?

Obviously that's not ideal, but your main job at the moment is to get through the day. The rest will come. For me, it was a good 4 months before I really started to get into the swing of things. You'll get there, and you're definitely not alone.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (07-10-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the same when I had DD1! I struggled to do so many things, like cook, do dishes, even have a shower! I felt like I was always feeding or trying to sneak in a nap. I think it lasted a month or so before I got myself and DD into a bit of a routine.

Sounds like you've got a great DH it's great he's helping out and definitely let him! Having kids and running a house is a partnership

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first six weeks are the hardest, after that you will start to get slightly back to normal. DD is 2 and I still frequently have cereal for dinner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes we expect to be Super parents, I think - I did at first. I thought life would go on like it was before - but it doesn't!

Breastfeeding can be very draining and I always found myself hovering - half the time, I was worried to do something to wake bub up or afraid to move if she was asleep on me.

But this usually always settled down for me by about 6 weeks. You'll find a routine for yourself - and it's great that your DH is helpful. Just go with the flow and it will all be fine while you adjust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a second time mummy and sometimes, particularly in the first few weeks, I've felt like that and it's totally ok! It's hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember it well, OP. Please be gentle on yourself x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is 7 weeks and I feel the same way. It has gotten easier though as the weeks go on. Hope it gets better for u soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does get easier.
    Those first couple of weeks/maybe even months are a write off.
    It's a huge change!
    Just focus on your new Bub

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby