+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use to be like a lot of you ladies (not saying that in a judgey way ) very very anti circ, until my three year old developed phimosis (when I was 7months pregnant), we tried the cream but unfortunately it didn't work and he had to get circd. I use to get him to play with it at every bath time and always made sure he cleaned it but it didn't matter. He was in an incredible amount of pain leading up to the operation and also after. We use to have to put him in the bath to wee and he would double over in pain. still now 9 months on is very sensitive about his willy- I'm not sure if that is because it still hurts or he remembers it hurting or because its just sensitive because it use to be covered up.
    I was in two minds about our DS2. On one hand I was little traumatized by my first sons experience on the other hand I made all the arguments of why fix it if its not broken, you don't cut tonsils/appendix/spleens out just in case etc etc etc
    I talked to as many people as I could who had sons with phimosis who webt on to have two or three boys and majority said that it ran in the family. One son had it and the next did too.

in the end we got it done, I still sometimes regret it but then I think of my other son and how heartbreaking it was too see him,

I'm not trying to turn anyone pro-circ I'm simply just saying try not to judge everyone who circs, some people yes do it for silly reasons and don't research it but some like me make educated decisions.
    I really hope nobody's sons end up with willy problems (which are apparently on the rise - as informed from my peadeatrician who isn't pro circ) as its just awful, and I know many people can't understand until they are put into the position but just try not to be so judgmental about people circing - some of us feel bad enough already

DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    I use to be like a lot of you ladies (not saying that in a judgey way ) very very anti circ, until my three year old developed phimosis (when I was 7months pregnant), we tried the cream but unfortunately it didn't work and he had to get circd. I use to get him to play with it at every bath time and always made sure he cleaned it but it didn't matter. He was in an incredible amount of pain leading up to the operation and also after. We use to have to put him in the bath to wee and he would double over in pain. still now 9 months on is very sensitive about his willy- I'm not sure if that is because it still hurts or he remembers it hurting or because its just sensitive because it use to be covered up.
    I was in two minds about our DS2. On one hand I was little traumatized by my first sons experience on the other hand I made all the arguments of why fix it if its not broken, you don't cut tonsils/appendix/spleens out just in case etc etc etc
    I talked to as many people as I could who had sons with phimosis who webt on to have two or three boys and majority said that it ran in the family. One son had it and the next did too.

in the end we got it done, I still sometimes regret it but then I think of my other son and how heartbreaking it was too see him,

I'm not trying to turn anyone pro-circ I'm simply just saying try not to judge everyone who circs, some people yes do it for silly reasons and don't research it but some like me make educated decisions.
    I really hope nobody's sons end up with willy problems (which are apparently on the rise - as informed from my peadeatrician who isn't pro circ) as its just awful, and I know many people can't understand until they are put into the position but just try not to be so judgmental about people circing - some of us feel bad enough already

DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!
    So you circd your son for medical reasons - no one would judge you for that! Sounds like you tried everything else first.
    With your second, I can see why you decided to do it. I know from my own reading and research that phimosis is actually only occasionally an inherited condition, so no, I wouldn't have taken the same path, but as I said, I can see why you did and I don't judge you for it.

Eta- when people do it for religious reasons, cosmetic reasons, "hygiene" reasons or because everyone else in the family was done- then yeah, I judge. Not medical reasons though.
    Last edited by Atropos; 08-10-2013 at 09:52.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-10-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    So you circd your son for medical reasons - no one would judge you for that! Sounds like you tried everything else first.
    With your second, I can see why you decided to do it. I know from my own reading and research that phimosis is actually only occasionally an inherited condition, so no, I wouldn't have taken the same path, but as I said, I can see why you did and I don't judge you for it.

Eta- when people do it for religious reasons, cosmetic reasons, "hygiene" reasons or because everyone else in the family was done- then yeah, I judge. Not medical reasons though.
    I agree, I think those reasons are not warranted. And i wish people would look more into it. However I have to remember that it's not my place and there may be more to their story.

I too researched the phimosis being inherited and came to the same conclusion as yourself however when I spoke to real people about it, I found it to be slightly higher than occasional. - through forums like this and also friends with sons.

But like I said I use to turn my nose up at anyone who circd (except medical of course). I guess experience changes perspective.

DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Lexim - This is the anti-routine infant circ section. No one should judge you or think badly of you for having your son circ'd for medically necessary reasons. There is a world of difference between medically necessary circ'ing and routine infant circ'ing. Whilst we might talk about being "anti circ" what we really mean is "anti routine infant circ'ing". If an adult wants to be circ'd or a child needs to be circ'd for medically necessary reasons then that does not mean they cannot still argue against RIC.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-10-2013),beebs  (08-10-2013),Mathermy  (08-10-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree, I think those reasons are not warranted. And i wish people would look more into it. However I have to remember that it's not my place and there may be more to their story.

I too researched the phimosis being inherited and came to the same conclusion as yourself however when I spoke to real people about it, I found it to be slightly higher than occasional. - through forums like this and also friends with sons.

But like I said I use to turn my nose up at anyone who circd (except medical of course). I guess experience changes perspective.

DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!
    See, I do think it's my place. I think it's anyone's place to object to the violation of another persons human rights. Especially one that can't stand up for themselves.
    Your story is a grey area, one medical, one non-medical but possibly preventative- like I said, I can totally see why you made that decision. I still would have based my own choice on statistical evidence rather than anecdotal data as the stats are based on real people too I do understand though that you had to watch your ds1 go through a hard time and wanting to prevent any chance of your second suffering too- I can definitely understand your reasoning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Jennybaby  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This, I understand why Lexim did it too, and I understand why you would get your second son done, if it runs in the family etc. I don't think that is the same as getting it done to look like daddy etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    This, I understand why Lexim did it too, and I understand why you would get your second son done, if it runs in the family etc. I don't think that is the same as getting it done to look like daddy etc.
    For the record I think the "look like daddy" is the worst argument.
    Pretty sure growing up I didn't compare my vagina to my mums lol lol lol

DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty sure growing up I didn't compare my vagina to my mums lol lol lol
    LOL! This reminded me of something.

When I was younger my little sister asked why my breasts weren't "droopy" like our mother's... Hehe...

Not an issue anymore now though, because mine are now droopy too!

Hehe anywho, back to topic!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OneWithUnagi For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Given its not the norm now when he's a teenager he'll be the ' different' in the change room, when he's with girls. This was an issue for my high school boyfriend. Everyone was circ'd back then and he wasn't. It sounds like a small issue but it's not to a teenage boy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm not so sure about the 'look like your mates' argument either way. My hubby was the odd non-circ'er amongst his friends. They were too busy talking about who had the biggest willy to notice who was circ'd and who wasn't....

Even if a child is bothered by the fact he looks different from his mates I think that's a perfect opportunity for the parents to guide him towards stronger character development.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See, I do think it's my place. I think it's anyone's place to object to the violation of another persons human rights. Especially one that can't stand up for themselves.
    Your story is a grey area, one medical, one non-medical but possibly preventative- like I said, I can totally see why you made that decision. I still would have based my own choice on statistical evidence rather than anecdotal data as the stats are based on real people too I do understand though that you had to watch your ds1 go through a hard time and wanting to prevent any chance of your second suffering too- I can definitely understand your reasoning.
    Totally agree. It's important to speak up for those without a voice.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-10-2013)