+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 80
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks
    1,301
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not cutting anything off my babies, they are as nature intended.
    I hate that my sister had her boys done to 'look like their dad'. well ya know what? They look nothing like their red-headed father, they are both very blonde with very different facial features.
    I also hate that I was repeatedly asked when I was going to have it done to my sons. Unless medically necessary, I will never be the one to say yes to ridding them of their foreskin!

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

    Cicho  (07-10-2013),Sonja  (07-10-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-10-2013)

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks
    1,301
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    cont... I will, however, make sure they know how to clean themselves.. All of themselves, from the foreskin to behind their ears.
    Really feel for those who weren't taught.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

    Cicho  (07-10-2013)

  5. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I'm neither for or against circ for a baby, I think it's the parents choice and they shouldn't be judged on it by others. But I have to disagree with the points from above.

    You say that a foreskin causes no issues to males in this day and age? You'd think keeping it clean would solve all the issues? Well my DH was never taught by his parents that you need to roll back the foreskin and clean it (either because they didn't know or felt awkward having the conversation). He's now waiting to have a circumcision as an adult and totally flipping out over it. He has got some sort of scarring and can't retract his foreskin at all. It's painful at times when we dtd without a condom (and even sometimes with one). He will often sit down to pee as he's never sure which direction it'll come out. He's tried the steroid creams and no success. Given his issues I would be leaning towards getting a baby boy of ours getting circ'd. Also DH has a 17yo brother who I imagine would have similar problems given the upbringing (but that's not up to me to ask!)
    Yes I did see your initial post - the above post was the one I was referring to. While you say you are 'neither for or against' and that it should be a parent's choice, and 'what works for my family won't necessarily work for yours', it seems like you're saying that it's a parent's choice to either 1. teach their child to be hygienic or 2. circumsise




    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    If you see my initial post I say I'm neither for or against. I think it's a personal choice and one that shouldn't be judged by others. What works for my family won't necessarily work for yours.

    As for the urologist I'm not sure exactly how many as DH didn't want me to go to the appt with him (and I was at work anyway) but that it was a lot more common than people think.
    Women get urinary tract infections too. Not sure how its related to circumcision...?
    Last edited by Ellewood; 07-10-2013 at 16:48.

  6. #44
    MilkingMaid's Avatar
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks
    3,787
    Thanked
    2,144
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I'm neither for or against circ for a baby, I think it's the parents choice and they shouldn't be judged on it by others. But I have to disagree with the points from above.

    You say that a foreskin causes no issues to males in this day and age? You'd think keeping it clean would solve all the issues? Well my DH was never taught by his parents that you need to roll back the foreskin and clean it (either because they didn't know or felt awkward having the conversation). He's now waiting to have a circumcision as an adult and totally flipping out over it. He has got some sort of scarring and can't retract his foreskin at all. It's painful at times when we dtd without a condom (and even sometimes with one). He will often sit down to pee as he's never sure which direction it'll come out. He's tried the steroid creams and no success. Given his issues I would be leaning towards getting a baby boy of ours getting circ'd. Also DH has a 17yo brother who I imagine would have similar problems given the upbringing (but that's not up to me to ask!)
    But you DON"T tell your sons to roll back their foreskins and clean underneath them, the area has its own secretions (smegma?) and you don't mess around with it. In fact messing around with it actually can CAUSE the introduction of infection. Your Dh's parents were completely correct, and your DH has his problem not because of them, but simply because he picked up an infection somewhere, or has a naturally tight foreskin giving him problems, it happens sometimes, but is no reason for routine circ

    Care of an uncirced penis is the same as for a finger, just wash the outside.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 07-10-2013 at 17:01.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (07-10-2013),Chippa  (08-10-2013)

  8. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    834
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked
    520
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    You'd be surprised. The urologist he saw said that it's actually a pretty common procedure in adult males, it's just that no one ever talks about it. DHs family don't know he has to have it done, my family don't know it's being done.

    The point I was making about hygiene wasn't so much about keeping it clean, it's about knowing TO keep it clean. I only knew because it came up in my studies in nursing/midwifery and DH had no idea. I was more saying that it's easy for someone to say "well if you keep it clean you won't have a problem" but you're assuming that 100% of the population know how to clean a penis. I didn't have brothers or any close male family members growing up to know anything about male genital hygiene until it came up when I was in my 20s
    Surely it was up to his parents (dad if he had one around). To teach him how? Its similar to the way all girls need to be taught to wipe front to back to avoid UTIs

  9. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    But you DON"T tell your sons to roll back their foreskins and clean underneath them, the area has its own secretions (smegma?) and you don't mess around with it. In fact messing around with it actually can CAUSE the introduction of infection. Your Dh's parents were completely correct, and your DH has his problem not because of them, but simply because he picked up an infection somewhere, or has a naturally tight foreskin giving him problems, it happens sometimes, but is no reason for routine circ

    Care of an uncirced penis is the same as for a finger, just wash the outside.
    I think once it retracts you do? From rich.org.au-
    Penis and foreskin care

    Most young boys will frequently touch or play with their penis. This is a normal part of their development and how they learn about their body Once the foreskin is ready to be retracted, your son will most probably discover this for himself.

    Your son's foreskin should never be forcibly pulled back for cleaning. There is no need to clean inside the foreskin in young boys.
    Once the foreskin is easily retracted, your son should learn to do this as part of normal washing in the bath. Ensure he rinses off any soap and pulls the foreskin back to cover the head of the penis afterwards.
    Wash the penis the same as any other part of your son's body and be careful to rinse off any soap.
    Make sure you change wet or dirty nappies promptly.
    Try leaving him without a nappy for short periods of time (fresh air is helpful), especially if he has nappy rash.
    Soak in a warm bath to soothe red/ sore skin. Dry thoroughly afterwards.
    Do not apply antiseptic creams or lotions to the penis or foreskin (unless prescribed by a doctor).

  10. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    139
    Reviews
    0
    I'm against.

    My Thoughts.
    *"it hurts more to have it done as an adult"
    How do you know that? Have you asked a newborn and an adult about the pain and compared answers.
    Also if I made that choice for my son. Then he can't in future.
    If he is intact and doesn't like it for whatever reason as an adult then he can just arrange for it be be removed.
    I have seen many online forums where men try to "grow" their foreskin back.
    I would rather my son go through temporary pain for the look he wanted later on in life due to his own free will than having to go through life not liking his appearance and going to painful extremes so he can get the look he once had naturally at birth.

    * "it might need to be removed later on in life due to a medical issue":
    Adults/children get appendicitis, should we remove those at birth to avoid future problems too?

    * the father is circ;
    so??? Do you think the father won't be able to teach hygiene because he doesn't own a foreskin? What about single mums of boys, same sex (female) parents with a son? Do you think they will struggle with teaching a child how to clean?
    If you can clean a newborns circ wound I'm sure you can teach them to clean an intact pen!s.
    And what's this with people wanting it to look like the dad's... That seems a bit weird to me.
    That brings me to the next one...

    *"It looks better"
    Says who?? You, the parents? It's not like you should really care how appealing your sons pen!s looks.
    The only people who should ever care about how your sons pen!s looks in future is him.
    You won't be the one to live with it for 60+ years.
    Like I said before, when he grows up and he doesn't like foreskin well then he has a CHOICE to have it removed, much easier than trying to get it back.

    *"it makes sex feel nicer for the male*:
    How? The male foreskin protects head glands making them more sensitive when the skin is retracted.
    Which by the way, the skin goes back naturally behind the head during intercourse pretty much having the same effect as a circed pen!s.
    Foreskin doesn't get stuck, block or get in the way of anything.
    If he feels when he is at age to have s3x that it's restricting him in anyway then he can make that choice.

    *"it's unhygienic"
    Yeah maybe in a BC time period where bathing was limited.
    Im sure if it was such an issue they would be pushing every new born to be circ'd.
    However in the year 2013 they are advising against it because of many reasons, 1 of those reasons being wound infections after circ, Go figure.
    Plus it's natural. Need I say more?
    My ears can get infected. Should I remove them?

    *foreskin carries STD's and other infections more than in circed":
    Genitals are genitals. They will carry any infection it's susceptible to if the person has unsafe sex.
    Teach your children about safe s3x and the importance of it.
    If infections like thrush etc being passed back and forth when he is in a committed relationship come to mind when choosing to circ, I think he will be just fine.
    Woman self treat for this frequently sometimes, I'm sure your son can also take a one dose oral pill to stop the back and forth problems with thrush.
    Not that it matters anyway, a circ penis is still susceptible to all infections that an intact one can get.

    *"it was done for true medical reasons":
    This is the only reason I see that the procedure should still be preformed.

    *"religious reasons":
    I've never personally been involved in a religion that involves this practice. So perhaps excuse my ignorance...?
    All I'm going to say is it's not my choice to decide my child's religion or preform things on my child's body or alter any of their body parts for said religion.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bergeron For This Useful Post:

    SAgirl  (07-10-2013)

  12. #48
    MilkingMaid's Avatar
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks
    3,787
    Thanked
    2,144
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Atropos thank goodness for this thread! Here's me with little ones, I never realised penis care needed to change a bit later on... Thankyou for pointing all that out

  13. #49
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And even if there are sometimes issues, which we all know there are. It still doesn't follow that we should remove it "just in case". There is a far higher rate of appendicitis, should we routinely remove them from babies or kids "just in case" they are the unlucky ones that get appendicitis in the future.

    Those arguments never stack up!

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (07-10-2013),Atropos  (07-10-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-10-2013)

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    @Atropos thank goodness for this thread! Here's me with little ones, I never realised penis care needed to change a bit later on... Thankyou for pointing all that out
    I have daughters, but also a step son, so looked it up a while ago JIC!


 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is attachment Parenting and Natural Parenting
    By ChaoticMummy in forum Natural / Attachment Parenting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 03:44
  2. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!