+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    You'd be surprised. The urologist he saw said that it's actually a pretty common procedure in adult males, it's just that no one ever talks about it. DHs family don't know he has to have it done, my family don't know it's being done.

The point I was making about hygiene wasn't so much about keeping it clean, it's about knowing TO keep it clean. I only knew because it came up in my studies in nursing/midwifery and DH had no idea. I was more saying that it's easy for someone to say "well if you keep it clean you won't have a problem" but you're assuming that 100% of the population know how to clean a penis. I didn't have brothers or any close male family members growing up to know anything about male genital hygiene until it came up when I was in my 20s
    Even so, do you think routine circumcision is the answer?? Not education?

I wonder that the urologist said it was common, how common? He's a urologist so I'm sure it may be a common case for him to see, but common in the general population? I don't think so.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-10-2013),Atropos  (07-10-2013),beebs  (07-10-2013),CitrusRainxxx  (07-10-2013),tatia&shura  (08-10-2013),waterlily  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You'd be surprised. The urologist he saw said that it's actually a pretty common procedure in adult males, it's just that no one ever talks about it. DHs family don't know he has to have it done, my family don't know it's being done.

The point I was making about hygiene wasn't so much about keeping it clean, it's about knowing TO keep it clean. I only knew because it came up in my studies in nursing/midwifery and DH had no idea. I was more saying that it's easy for someone to say "well if you keep it clean you won't have a problem" but you're assuming that 100% of the population know how to clean a penis. I didn't have brothers or any close male family members growing up to know anything about male genital hygiene until it came up when I was in my 20s
    It's not difficult information to find out though. I mean, if you were to have a son, it wouldn't be difficult for you to find out how to keep his foreskin clean and how to teach him to do so.

I don't actually think it's very common at all in adult males. Going to see if I can find some stats.

Eta- from what I can see, there isn't a huge variation in numbers of infant boys circd and grown men who report as having been circd- I really don't think it's very common at all in the general population
    Last edited by Atropos; 07-10-2013 at 16:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

What about a vagina? There's more folds and creases in a vagina but we don't chop our girls' bits off.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    What about a vagina? There's more folds and creases in a vagina but we don't chop our girls' bits off.
    Toenails can be hard to keep clean if you don't know how, but we don't cut those off either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well, not in this country, and definitely not without any kind of anaesthesia in a non-clinical environment, all under the banner of 'culture'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think lazy parenting is a good excuse quite frankly, and to me that's what the 'hygiene' issue boils down to. Teaching our children to clean their genitals appropriately should not be optional :/

I was against it theoretically until I had my son, and then in reality I couldn't even contemplate doing that to my precious baby. Not on your nelly!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Toenails can be hard to keep clean if you don't know how, but we don't cut those off either.
    And ears, don't forget ears... Ear infections are rather common, better chop 'em off!

Lack if hygiene/infection is not the fault of the body part - don't knock the body parts people!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Even so, do you think routine circumcision is the answer?? Not education?

I wonder that the urologist said it was common, how common? He's a urologist so I'm sure it may be a common case for him to see, but common in the general population? I don't think so.
    If you see my initial post I say I'm neither for or against. I think it's a personal choice and one that shouldn't be judged by others. What works for my family won't necessarily work for yours.

As for the urologist I'm not sure exactly how many as DH didn't want me to go to the appt with him (and I was at work anyway) but that it was a lot more common than people think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Now we have the Internet and google there is no excuse for not knowing how to clean a willy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-10-2013),Atropos  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you see my initial post I say I'm neither for or against. I think it's a personal choice and one that shouldn't be judged by others. What works for my family won't necessarily work for yours.

As for the urologist I'm not sure exactly how many as DH didn't want me to go to the appt with him (and I was at work anyway) but that it was a lot more common than people think.
    This post is in the anti section. I would hazard a guess that most posters here do indeed judge people for lopping off the end of a baby's penis for no medical reason. Many of us do not regard it as a personal choice but as a violation of human rights.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (07-10-2013),VicPark  (07-10-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast