+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 80
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    That's terrible your DH was never taught to clean his penis by his parents. But I still can't accept that as a reason for circumcision. You say you don't agree that keeping it clean would solve the problems yet also that your husband was never taught to clean it? So was that the issue? If he was never taught to clean it properly I can see why there could be an issue, but then it's a failing on his parents part and not a reason to have a penis circumcised. Many people get annoyed at this analogy but would you have a child's ears cut off because they didn't clean behind them?

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-10-2013),BigRedV  (07-10-2013),Mathermy  (07-10-2013),Tainted  (07-10-2013),VicPark  (07-10-2013)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,019
    Thanks
    5,460
    Thanked
    4,397
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I'm neither for or against circ for a baby, I think it's the parents choice and they shouldn't be judged on it by others. But I have to disagree with the points from above.

    You say that a foreskin causes no issues to males in this day and age? You'd think keeping it clean would solve all the issues? Well my DH was never taught by his parents that you need to roll back the foreskin and clean it (either because they didn't know or felt awkward having the conversation). He's now waiting to have a circumcision as an adult and totally flipping out over it. He has got some sort of scarring and can't retract his foreskin at all. It's painful at times when we dtd without a condom (and even sometimes with one). He will often sit down to pee as he's never sure which direction it'll come out. He's tried the steroid creams and no success. Given his issues I would be leaning towards getting a baby boy of ours getting circ'd. Also DH has a 17yo brother who I imagine would have similar problems given the upbringing (but that's not up to me to ask!)
    Doesn't that just prove my point? You're saying the issue stems from his parents not teaching him how to clean it properly

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-10-2013),VicPark  (07-10-2013)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I'm neither for or against circ for a baby, I think it's the parents choice and they shouldn't be judged on it by others. But I have to disagree with the points from above.

    You say that a foreskin causes no issues to males in this day and age? You'd think keeping it clean would solve all the issues? Well my DH was never taught by his parents that you need to roll back the foreskin and clean it (either because they didn't know or felt awkward having the conversation). He's now waiting to have a circumcision as an adult and totally flipping out over it. He has got some sort of scarring and can't retract his foreskin at all. It's painful at times when we dtd without a condom (and even sometimes with one). He will often sit down to pee as he's never sure which direction it'll come out. He's tried the steroid creams and no success. Given his issues I would be leaning towards getting a baby boy of ours getting circ'd. Also DH has a 17yo brother who I imagine would have similar problems given the upbringing (but that's not up to me to ask!)

    Your husband's problems are rare and uncommon. If all or even half or a third of all men out there were experiencing the same issues with their foreskin I would certainly be more pro-circ!

    I'm sorry for your husband's discomfort but it's not really clear it's due to lack of hygiene from what you describe.

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I'm neither for or against circ for a baby, I think it's the parents choice and they shouldn't be judged on it by others. But I have to disagree with the points from above.

    You say that a foreskin causes no issues to males in this day and age? You'd think keeping it clean would solve all the issues? Well my DH was never taught by his parents that you need to roll back the foreskin and clean it (either because they didn't know or felt awkward having the conversation). He's now waiting to have a circumcision as an adult and totally flipping out over it. He has got some sort of scarring and can't retract his foreskin at all. It's painful at times when we dtd without a condom (and even sometimes with one). He will often sit down to pee as he's never sure which direction it'll come out. He's tried the steroid creams and no success. Given his issues I would be leaning towards getting a baby boy of ours getting circ'd. Also DH has a 17yo brother who I imagine would have similar problems given the upbringing (but that's not up to me to ask!)
    So why not just teach any future sons how to clean themselves and care for themselves? Had your poor DH been taught that he wouldn't be suffering now- he's not suffering because he wasn't circumcised, he's suffering because he wasn't taught how to clean his genitals. It's a pretty big distinction IMO.

  7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (07-10-2013),beebs  (07-10-2013),Ellewood  (07-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (07-10-2013),NancyBlackett  (07-10-2013),RobinSparkles  (07-10-2013),Stiflers Mom  (07-10-2013),Tainted  (07-10-2013),VicPark  (07-10-2013)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,554
    Thanks
    879
    Thanked
    559
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    To be like dad! I have friends who did it for this reason only.
    This one bugs me! My DH is circ'd. DS is not. Ds and DH used to shower together when DS was a littlie and he never mentioned anything about being different to dad! That one goes in the 'old wives tale' file for me!

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

    HarvestMoon  (07-10-2013),Sonja  (07-10-2013)

  10. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't even really buy the lack of hygiene argument these days... We live in a hygienic country with clean water. Infections do sometimes occur but are treatable and avoidable. More serious issues are rare and nit a reason to routinely circumcise! I'm not sure i have/am teaching my young son how to be hygienic with his penis as he does it naturally, plays and pulls his own foreskin back in the bath.

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I don't even really buy the lack of hygiene argument these days... We live in a hygienic country with clean water. Infections do sometimes occur but are treatable and avoidable. More serious issues are rare and nit a reason to routinely circumcise! I'm not sure i have/am teaching my young son how to be hygienic with his penis as he does it naturally, plays and pulls his own foreskin back in the bath.
    Surely surgery itself poses a bigger infection risk?

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    "It's cleaner," only makes sense if you're planning on living in filth and disease and having a wash once every few months at best.

    My FIL brings it up all the time (DP and his whole family are super pro-circ), and talks about when he was deployed in Cambodia and Papua New Guinea and places like that (he's in the Army), and how they couldn't clean and all the guys who weren't circed got infections blah blah. I think that makes sense, if there's no fold to collect dirt and filth, it's less likely to require regular maintenance. BUT... how common is that situation to your average Australian boy?

    On the OFF CHANCE he joins the military and finds himself living in that sort of situation, can he not just get it done himself? No surgery is pleasant, but given one of the wussiest, sookiest men I know got himself done (due to aesthetic preference) as a teen and said it was fine - he just took 2 weeks off to heal - I don't think it's going to be too much of a problem if a grown man decides it may be beneficial to be circumcised.

    It's like removing tonsils at birth in case tonsilitis is an issue. Removing breast tissue from young children in case of breast cancer. It makes no sense.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (07-10-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-10-2013)

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Surely surgery itself poses a bigger infection risk?
    Indeed

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,169
    Thanks
    1,265
    Thanked
    2,576
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Your husband's problems are rare and uncommon. If all or even half or a third of all men out there were experiencing the same issues with their foreskin I would certainly be more pro-circ!

    I'm sorry for your husband's discomfort but it's not really clear it's due to lack of hygiene from what you describe.
    You'd be surprised. The urologist he saw said that it's actually a pretty common procedure in adult males, it's just that no one ever talks about it. DHs family don't know he has to have it done, my family don't know it's being done.

    The point I was making about hygiene wasn't so much about keeping it clean, it's about knowing TO keep it clean. I only knew because it came up in my studies in nursing/midwifery and DH had no idea. I was more saying that it's easy for someone to say "well if you keep it clean you won't have a problem" but you're assuming that 100% of the population know how to clean a penis. I didn't have brothers or any close male family members growing up to know anything about male genital hygiene until it came up when I was in my 20s


 

Similar Threads

  1. What is attachment Parenting and Natural Parenting
    By ChaoticMummy in forum Natural / Attachment Parenting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 03:44
  2. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays. We also offer outdoor programs during the summer months (Oct-Mar) at Rostrevor college.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!