+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 80
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    555
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Given its not the norm now when he's a teenager he'll be the ' different' in the change room, when he's with girls. This was an issue for my high school boyfriend. Everyone was circ'd back then and he wasn't. It sounds like a small issue but it's not to a teenage boy.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

    Lolakitty  (08-10-2013)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Because it can almost be a cultural thing. I suppose the same reason why I never thought about circ'ing future sons, because dh isn't done.
    I don't get this reason at all. I have big boobs. If my girls are flat chested do I get theirs done so they look like me? Looking like dad isn't usually a cultural reason. It's just a convenient one.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-10-2013),Ellewood  (07-10-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (07-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (07-10-2013),headoverfeet  (07-10-2013)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked
    22
    Reviews
    0
    I have a cousin who was circumcised as a baby and the procedure went wrong after healing the scar tissue was tightening around the head of his penis to the point that it affected urination. Another op was done and they removed to much. This has affected him both medically and self confidence wise.

    Sent from my GT-I8730T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    612
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked
    271
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Never really thought about it until we found out we're having a boy - and people actually asked about it.. I have 2 friends who had foreskin issues in their late 20's and needed operations etc. hence why one asked. But 2 isn't a big figure and as OP said, they can take pain killers and make they're own choices. It's not something we will do to our son.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

    headoverfeet  (07-10-2013)

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,029
    Thanks
    5,464
    Thanked
    4,403
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't get this reason at all. I have big boobs. If my girls are flat chested do I get theirs done so they look like me? Looking like dad isn't usually a cultural reason. It's just a convenient one.
    I suppose when it's normal for everyone in your family to have a medical procedure done, you most likely view it as the thing to do.

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's pretty clear that the foreskin causes no issues for babies, children, teen boys or men in this day and age, so why cut it off?

    Since all boys are born with a foreskin on their penis then clearly it's meant to be there and has a purpose. I've studied medical science and know how incredible the human body is and that virtually every part of out body has a specific purpose (or did have evolutionarily). It's beautiful, amazing and genius.

    To me it's the pain yes, but it's more so the why do it factor... Why change what is naturally perfect?

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (07-10-2013),Mathermy  (07-10-2013)

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    1,386
    Thanked
    1,357
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    To be like dad! I have friends who did it for this reason only.
    I think this is the most stupid reason! Everyone's genitals look different anyway... Just like a pp said some may have bigger boobs. I don't think a child will give a damn if his doodle looks different to daddy's. maybe in his teens he may feel different if his mates are done and he's not but in this day and age there is such a mix anyway, he's not going to be the only one in the change room who looks 'different'.

    I also find it so interesting how people say 'oh it's a cultural thing' and people accept this but if someone said they don't agree with something else like gay marriage due to religious reasons then that's not acceptable. Both come down to human rights.

    Maybe that's not the best example but I can't think of anything else right now to compare it to and I guess my point is that a cultural reason just shouldn't be enough to mutilate our boys. No offense to anyone, it's just MY view. For the record I'm Christian and my mother was a bit shocked when I told her we weren't circumcising my DS and I guess she expected me to due to our religious beliefs.

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think the BS reasons for circ are put forward as a subconscious smokescreen for the real reasons of culture and heritage... For example Daddy wants bub to be like them and mum wants to at least appear to be going through the process of thinking the issue through 'logically.'

    *** I do think there are a small number of selected cases where circumcision is medically necessary, I'm not talking about those cases.

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    652
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have yet to find one good reason why someone should be circ'd (routinely). As I've posted many times.. you don't really need your appendix and some people get appendicitis yet we don't routinely have those out do we?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

    Abi&Beth  (08-10-2013)

  15. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,184
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked
    2,593
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    • it's more clean and hygienic - surely teaching your son how to keep it clean can't be that hard...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    It's pretty clear that the foreskin causes no issues for babies, children, teen boys or men in this day and age, so why cut it off

    I'm neither for or against circ for a baby, I think it's the parents choice and they shouldn't be judged on it by others. But I have to disagree with the points from above.

    You say that a foreskin causes no issues to males in this day and age? You'd think keeping it clean would solve all the issues? Well my DH was never taught by his parents that you need to roll back the foreskin and clean it (either because they didn't know or felt awkward having the conversation). He's now waiting to have a circumcision as an adult and totally flipping out over it. He has got some sort of scarring and can't retract his foreskin at all. It's painful at times when we dtd without a condom (and even sometimes with one). He will often sit down to pee as he's never sure which direction it'll come out. He's tried the steroid creams and no success. Given his issues I would be leaning towards getting a baby boy of ours getting circ'd. Also DH has a 17yo brother who I imagine would have similar problems given the upbringing (but that's not up to me to ask!)


 

Similar Threads

  1. What is attachment Parenting and Natural Parenting
    By ChaoticMummy in forum Natural / Attachment Parenting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 03:44
  2. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays. We also offer outdoor programs during the summer months (Oct-Mar) at Rostrevor college.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!