+ Reply to Thread
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Once toilet trained...

When did you stop reminding your kids to go to the toilet? DS has been tt'd for ages, nearly a year and hasn't had an accident in months and months. But I still have to tell him to go to the toilet or he just never goes, he holds on till he needs to do a poo or he goes just before his bath in the evening. He will also restrict what he drinks so he doesn't have to go. Wondering if I should stop reminding him so he learns to go by himself or if I should just keep reminding him. He's 3 3/4

Thanks
    Reviews
    i basically forget to keep reminding dd. i did it for maybe the first month of TT. i still remind her before we go out though. the only time she might "forget" is during her day sleep if she's in a longer heavier sleep.
    im fairly confident she has learnt that feeling when she needs to go. once they are in kinder/school i wouldnt expect the teacher to have to keep reminding each kid to go to the loo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remind DD before we go out and before she goes to bed. She is 4. She does take herself though but those are the times I need to be sure she has gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only time I ask DD to go to the loo is before long car trips...where we ALL go...even DH and I...it stops arguments lol

Other than that I leave her to it...they need to learn to regulate it themselves and a few accidents help them in the long run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I TT'd DS1 (a couple of months before he turned 2) I never asked him if he needed to go, I asked him to tell me when he needed. I think that way he needed to approach me instead of me sort of reminding him it was time. Seemed to work for him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Almost embarrassed to say it......but DD is 9, yep 9!!!!, & we still have to remind her!!! Not that she has had an accident, but it's like pulling teeth to get her to go! And she holds on for dear life, then at the very last minute you will hear her make a mad-dash for the loo, followed by the stamp, stamp, stamp of her feet trying to hold on while she quickly gets the loo ready for action!!!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We only remind ds #2 before a car trip. Or we end up whizzing at the side of the road, other than that he just goes.

He is 4.5 and been toilet trained 9 months.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since DDs been toilet trained we only remind her before a longish car trip and bed.

We still have to do it at 4.5yo... Otherwise 10 minutes into the trip she's asking to stop to pee or she's going in the middle of the night which she turns into a massive, noisy drama

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds has been tt for a few months (2.5) he done it on his own . He just told me he needed jocks, no nappy and I went with it...
    I remind him a few times a day, but he quite often also will just randomly announce "I need potty/toilet!" (did just now, yay for wee and poo in the toilet!)
    He has the occasional accident.. (one every few days?) But sometimes when I ask, he says no...and he usually goes a bit later on his own.

Fwiw, I worked in childcare, a room of 30 children ages 2-5. The younger or more recent tt ones were asked several times a day.. (before morning tea/going outside, before lunch, before sleep, before afternoon tea/outside, before supper/parents arrival etc). The more confident ones were asked before lunch or if they were seen dancing around.
    The freshly trained ones were actually taken to potty/toilet.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app