+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Neighbourhood children whats the etiquette?

So being school holidays dd & ds have bern playing alot more with tbe neighborhood kids always at eachothers houses and playing in the street which is great.

My question is when it comes to food and snacks and drinks? Morning tea is usually fresh fruit and nuts or yogurt for us, lunch sandwiches or leftovers or eggs whatever goes, afternoon tea fruit or slice biscuts ect. I was out of politness and offering the other children a piece of fruit at morning tea time as I cut it up fruit salad style anyway and think its rude my kids eating and the others not. Well I think thats were I.went wrong. Ive made a few plates of sandwiches too and given water ice blocks if my kids have asked for them.

But now I find these kids are aaking for food here and going into my fridge freezer for iceblocks and whatever! Im going through food like its going out of fashion and it doesnt help cos dd & ds are so generous they share anyway.

I did notice the mum across the road whom ive fed her kids 4 days last week sent my 2 home as they wanted a drink and that's ok. But her kids came back with my kids and her 2 had iceblocks and mine didn't. I quizzed dd as she's 6 and she said their mum only had 2 iceblocks and she was thirsty and the mum said go home for a drink? On the other hand another mum gives them what they want when they want it.

I dont know what to do really, these kids eat heaps and im going through more iceblocks than the mr whippy van. Do I say no or oblige to the im hungry and thirsty? I should say also id never deny a drink of water to any child, everytime ive offered food ive made them run home to ask if thats ok so the mothers are well aware the children are eating here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's really hard. I'd feed them if it was me, but put a limit on it. Just offer water, say no ice blocks etc without asking, and feed them some fruit at morning tea and sandwiches for lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unless I have invited other kids over for lunch/dinner I'd otherwise send them home. I remember as a kid we all got sent away when others had lunch and we'd wait on the footpath or go home until they came back out to play.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I wouldn't feed them anything unless I had the ok from the parents first.. just taking into account allergies, intolerances, and special diets they could possibly be following.

If that's all ok though, it really depends how you feel about it all. If you don't like that your neighbour isn't feeding your kids as you are hers, send her kids home at snack time or tell them your kids will be out in 20 mins as they have to go inside and have some morning tea/lunch/afternoon tea.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (07-10-2013),HugsBunny  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    I would probably send them home in your case apart from drinks and maybe the occasional water ice block or snack because the other mother obviously isn't into sharing. You shouldn't have to feed her kids as well as your own.

If you don't want to do that, instead of providing everything for their lunch ask them to being some fruit and you can cut it up to add to your sandwich plate.

We generally send each other's kids home to eat and share afternoon tea on the lawn. We have a pretty good neighbourhood routine because our kids are all the same age (26 kids under 8 in 9 houses, plus one lovely old lady on her own who thankfully adores the kids).

Mornings are inside activities/shopping/errands, then it's lunch, naps, afternoon outside time, dinner etc. If I have a few of the older girls (5yo) over for craft or whatever in the morning then I will cook something with them to eat like a slice or piklets (their mums usually come over too when that happens).

Lunch and dinner are always at home unless we all have a picnic and then we bring our own. I send the kids home for their lunch. As I said, afternoon tea is usually on the front lawn and we share but all bring something like fruit or bread/veggies and dip.
    Your neighbourhood sounds lovely!

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with pp about asking them to go home whilst your kids are eating lunch. This is what we did as kids unless it was an organized play date.

I wouldn't mind making neighborhood kids some lunch but if the favor isn't returned I would find it quite rude.

Me + DH = DS and DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would never deny any child a drink of water if the were thirsty/asked for it/hot day, whatever.
    as for food, i would call my kids into the house to eat and JUST my kids. let the other kids know its their lunch time or morning tea time ect and they will be back out to play soon. i would not offer other kids meals or snacks. esp if it is not hapening to your kids. plus, how freakin expensive!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My problem is I find it hsrd to say no. But I like the idea of contributing something form there homes. I ciukd akways say do you have any fruit at home you coukd bring over and ill happily cut it up or go ask mummy to make you a sandwich and you can est it here with my dd and ds?

Its a group of about 8 -10 kids. Mist mums are like me and its no problems. I also appreciate when my kids are sent home at meal times as id rather feed my kids. But yes its the kids that come over and just ask for food that annoys me. Then again im a pediatric dietician and I think or no what if they dont have much food at home or fruit. Dumb cos its nit really my responsibility is it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe whip out the anti-bark collar or make them dress up before giving them any food?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

delirium  (07-10-2013),lambjam  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally should nancy make them entertain me!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (07-10-2013)