+ Reply to Thread

Default Breast refusal

My son was EBM when at 2.5 months he began refusing the breast and it took 2 visits to hospital to learn that it was possibly thrush in his mouth that caused the refusal and by the time we figured out the problem he refused to breastfeed again. I tried everything from skin on skin, bathing together, lactation consultant, Osteopath, naturopath, GP, advice from the breastfeeding association and cafhs. It broke my heart that I had lost that close bond. He is now 8.5 months and I have been expressing the entire time as I want my boy to have the best. It has been hard work and very stressful as it takes up so much of my time and going out is a mission! I am now having lots of sleeping issues with him so I am sleep deprived and expressing is getting my down and I am struggling. Advice is that maybe its time to stop and put him on formula. It was bad enough that he refused the breast but to stop expressing gives me a huge sense of loss and I can't quite bring myself to do it even though I know its probably for the best. I am looking for some advice or experiences from other mums who have been through this and what they did. If there is any way I could breastfeed him again I would do it, I don't want to give up just yet. Is it possible to get him back on the breast after such a long time?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can definitely try to get him back on the breast, but he will have to learn how to breastfeed. Have you got access to a lactation consultant?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No advice about getting him back on. Just wanted to say your doing such an awesome job with all that expressing!! Your bubba is lucky to have such an great mummy! Best of luck!

Me + DH = DS and DD

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My goodness! You've had such a rough journey and you've done amazingly well to persist with expressing for so long. I agree with PP, what a lucky bubba to have you for a mummy.

As far as I'm aware it is absolutely possible! I've known of little ones that have shown renewed interest in the breast when number two comes along. Hopefully someone with more experience will come by and chat with you but I would start offering and see what happens, certainly can't hurt! I would try when you're both nice and relaxed and try not to get hurt feelings if he doesn't catch on right away. Best of luck xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-10-2013)