+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Changing eating habits?

I have been quite lazy recently, and offering easy foods (pastas like kids ravioli, nuggets, pizza, toasted sandwiches, 2 min noodles etc) for dinners as life has been chaotic. 2.5yo ds was refusing all his veggies anyway so I havent even been plating them up... for any of us. Anyway afew weeks of this and ive had enough. I know that I need to offer ds veggies every meal, and be a positive role model for him.

It all started going downhill when I stopped being a sahm. I am now out of the house 4 days a week, I get home at 4 or 5pm depending what day it is. Dh starts work between 5 & 6pm

Ideally id love to all sit down together for dinner... but most nights it cant happen since dh has to rush out the door for work almost as soon as I walk in.

Any tips on helping get back into healthy dinners and getting through mealtimes with minimal stress at such a rushed time ?? 6mth old dd has just started having solids at tea time so I suppose she can start sitting at the table with us if I get a high chair for her.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by blissfulfairy; 06-10-2013 at 07:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First of all just wanted to say its not easy making that transition back to work and in my expirience something has to give for a bit and its usually dinner. I mean myself included coming home after 9 hours of work and having to cook is a pain in the rear but something thats not avoidable.

I started doing big cook ups on sunday. I would make a big batch of bolognase sauce make a lasagne with it freeze it. Then freeze the leftover sauce and all I had to do was take it out in the morning and either boil the pasta at night or toss a salad. I would portion all my meat out in to packets of what we would eat as well and meal plan. For example 3 steaks will come out and I stock up on things like steam fresh frozen vege nutritionally speaking there is stuff all differences between frozen and fresh. I would also make potato bake in big batches and freeze it, soups, even taco mince, I love my slow cooker I could prepare everything in the morning or night before chuck it all in and dinner would be done when we got home. Fried rice and most asian dishes freeze well then just boil up a pot of rice of an evening. It still takes alot of prep on a sunday or saturday night for me if we are not busy but it sure does ease the evenings and if dh is home before me he sees what ive taken out for tea and knows how to heat it or what else to prepare.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (06-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We too are busy, but go back to basisc when time stretched ie: meat, (potato/rice/pasta) and salad or veg. As long as the meat is defrosted it takes 30 mins max to boils some potatoes (less for pasta and rice) 5 mins to throw together a salad and we are done. What does help m3 is having a dishwasher! Saves me heaps of time!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsoptomistic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know... Some days by the time u get home its getting on to 530-6pmand having to cook is so draining... I agree i do spaghetti sauce and freeze in batches... Little lamb cutlets cooked in the oven is easy with a corn cob and some cucumber and carrot sticks it pretty easy.. Not much involved in that... Ive started giving my kids our stirfrys ( cut it up the night before so quick) ... Baked beans on wholemeal toast isnt bad when you cant be bothered too .. Home made chicken pieces like nuggets take about 3 minutes to cook on the stove top with veges. But i dont stress if some working nights the meal isnt the best but itry to limit it to one slack night and just make sure on the non working days i feed them good healthy stuff... A tin of spaghetti one night a week wont kill anyone. Some nights nothing is ready and im late and oh well!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (06-10-2013),Miados2007  (06-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jfblady72 View Post
    I know... Some days by the time u get home its getting on to 530-6pmand having to cook is so draining... I agree i do spaghetti sauce and freeze in batches... Little lamb cutlets cooked in the oven is easy with a corn cob and some cucumber and carrot sticks it pretty easy.. Not much involved in that... Ive started giving my kids our stirfrys ( cut it up the night before so quick) ... Baked beans on wholemeal toast isnt bad when you cant be bothered too .. Home made chicken pieces like nuggets take about 3 minutes to cook on the stove top with veges. But i dont stress if some working nights the meal isnt the best but itry to limit it to one slack night and just make sure on the non working days i feed them good healthy stuff... A tin of spaghetti one night a week wont kill anyone. Some nights nothing is ready and im late and oh well!!!
    Exactly a sandwich for dinner or beans on toast is not by far the worst thing in the world.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I menu plan so each day I know what I have to pull out of the freezer in the morning and what I need to cook that night. Frozen veg are my friend as is cooking in double batches so I don't have to cook every night

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also my kids love avocado and vegemite or eggs on toast :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering if it's possible for your DH to cook before he starts work to take the pressure of you on those days & allow you to all eat together if dinner is ready shortly after you get home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Try go back to basics and do meat/fish/chicken and 3 veg once or twice a week, it literally takes 15 minutes to cut up and steam veggies while grilling salmon or chicken tenders on a stick or lamb cutlets - start your 6 month old watching you all eat fresh whole food - have no packet sauces or packet noodles and pastas - just marinade in lemon juice, garlic and olive oil

You could make your own crumbed fish ( flat head fillets are great for this) or chicken the night before ( I use rice crumbs, herbs, chia seeds and parmasean cheese) again with steamed veggies

Lamb or falafel wraps - make your falafel or make some lamb skewers the night before - takes 10 mins to grill and make up a Greek salad, get some shredded cheese, tzatiki and mountain bread or pita bread and make a wrap/kebab ( works well with chicken tenders also)

Things to bake in a tray are great as it's all in one pan! I roast cod fillets on top of cherry tomatoes, cut up baby potatoes and lemon , just add crushed garlic and olive oil, chuck in oven for about 25 mins then fold through baby spinach leaves ( also works with chicken pieces)

Tacos/burritos are quick if you chop it all up in the morning, marinate your meat/ fish then just stir fry fish or beef strips when you get home , serve with taco shells, shredded lettuce and cheese , chopped tomatoes and I can make fresh guacamole in 2 minutes!

Absolutely put your 6 month old in the high chair at the table, start giving her finger foods to eat/play with while she watches you all eat and she will want to join in!!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 06-10-2013 at 09:02.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's mum you should write a recipe book or start up a fb page with all your recipes!! Great ideas, thank you 😄

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stac84 For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (06-10-2013),Elijahs Mum  (07-10-2013)