+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Urgent Advice Needed- An unusual situaiton

We are moving to Australia on PR visa for first time on 31st October 2013 whereas my expected delivery date is 25th December 2013. I have just read on some forum that in Sydney/Australia, this is too little time to be able to secure an appointment for delivery in public hospitals through Medicare. Private Health insurance/ hosptials seem out of our reach. I ll be grateful if any of the senior members could help me as to what should I do in such a situation? I do have an address in Sydney where I ll be staying but cant come before 31st of October for several reasons. I am so worried so is my husband. we don't have any job or lots of funds so got worried reading this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you need to ' secure' a place in the public. That's what it is...a public hospital. They can't turn you away. Private you'd have more trouble. Can you call and speak to someone before you get here? I wouldn't worry about it but to put your mind at rest. You would have a problem getting into a birth centre I'd imagine though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks a lot for your prompt response.... what is this birth centre? don't we have any birth centres inside public hospitals? who should I talk to ? any ideas... will public hospitals provide facilities for the baby birth even if we don't find a place in birth centre? secondly if u hv any idea about the airlines as I ll be already into 33rd week when we fly on 31st ... is it safe to travel on a long flight 15 hours plus 4 hours approx.... will emirates allow me to get on board?

Thanks
    Reviews
    secndly....is der any public hospital near wiley park 2195 nsw area. How far is that hospital from boulewarde wiley park ? what is the process to contact someone from that hospital? thanking you a lot in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can't help on hospitals as I live on the other side of the country. Birth centers sre midwifery led care centres. Some attached to a hospital others separate. they are hard to get into. Every thing regarding care ofvthe baby will be done in a public hospital. No idea for airlines. You might need a medical certificate?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For such a long flight you will likely need medical clearance. As for hospitals in that area I can't help as I'm in another state.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second that you'll definitely need medical clearance to fly, I've flown while pregnant myself but not on a long haul flight. If you can call Emirates Airline and ask them what you need. While on the flight make sure you drink lots of water and walk around also do some stretches exercises and get yourself some compression socks to prevent blood cloths.As for hospitals in Australia, you have the choice of public or private. Public is through Medicare and you'll be fine to give birth in one of those on short notice, you won't have a choice of doctor and you'll probably be sharing a room with other mothers and babies but Australian medical care is great and you'll be just fine! As for private hospitals those are for patients with private health it costs more to be on private however you would have the choice of doctor and a private room, you'll be too far along for that as most private insurance companies require a member to be on a suitable plan for 12 months before birth. Then there's the birthing centers, those usually have a natural feeling for those who wish to birth in a more homely environment instead of hospital, they are staffed by midwifes and usually do not have the resources to deal with high risk births, I'm not sure how you'd get into one of those but I imagine there would be a waiting list.Your best bet is to go public. When you arrive make an appointment with centerlink they have all kinds of services and info to help you figure out the next step.Also you shouldn't give out your address in a public forum, you should delete that info from above, it's dangerous. Best of luck! Emigrating can be daunting but you'll be ok make sure you make use of all the free services like maternity aftercare and mothers groups after baby arrives.forgot to tell you, when you arrive find your local gp (general practician) it's like a family doctor, they would give you a check up and can point you in the right direction regarding hospitals and services
    Last edited by ciaomamma; 06-10-2013 at 03:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What country are you from?? We cannot turn away a lady in labor so you won't be turned away from a public hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ciaomumma pretty much covered everything I was going to say!! :-)

A hospital will not turn down a pregnant woman in labour. Just ensure the one you turn up to is public, or it could get messy afterwards with costs.

DEFINATELY get a medical certificate from doctor staying you are able to fly. Then call emirates. Ensure that is enough.

DEFINATELY DEFINATELY DEFINATELY go to your local centrelink on arrival - dont delay this. They will be so helpful to let you know what benefits etc your entitled to.

Find a local doctor near your home, book in, so you can get things like blood test etc all sorted so they can start a record for you.

Your first 1-2 weeks here should be very busy finding al these things and having the appointments however will make your labour run smoothly.

Just google public hospitals near (suburb, nsw, Australia) and you will find them. just ensure you delete your address details up top. Wouldn't want someone knowing your new to Australia and where your living.

Best of luck!!! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Emirates require a medical cert to fly after 28 weeks. I only know as we have PR visas and are planning to move over from the UK next year but are also thinking about ttc number 3. So I've looked into the implications!

Best of luck with the move and the new baby