+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would do both! I would do the reversal and start IVF. Cover all bases. If it happens naturally yay, if not you're not wasting time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi angie
    We are in the process of waiting the full 12months of being on our private health insurance now so that we are covered for the hospital/theatre fees. At the moment we are still looking at going with Dr Woolcott in Sydney, which means we will be flying down for the op and staying at least 1 or 2 nights before flying back. I've read a lot of positive things about him and i find the way his fees are all worked out to be easy to understand and on the more affordable side, (well for these kind of procedures haha)
    We haven't gone to our GP yet though to discuss anyone local, but we will do, have had so many things going on in other areas.
    How has your search been going? Have you found anyone more local?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I would do both! I would do the reversal and start IVF. Cover all bases. If it happens naturally yay, if not you're not wasting time.
    haha if only! Unfortunately that would be rather invasive and very expensive all at the same time. Plus the VR may work then we would have gone through the hormones, costs and time of IVF for no reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peninsulagirl View Post
    Hi Ange1111
    My DH did some research and he is booked in to Metrocentre in Gold Coast QLD in 2 weeks (20/06/14). He is booked in this Friday (in Melbourne) for a pre consultation, where I assume they do a untrasound to check all the bits in order. They booked in all the approintments pretty quick after he made inital contact with them. You have to pay the full value of the VR up front at least two weeks prior to the procedure, which I guess is fair enough, as they may have had no-shows in the past I presume. Then you can claim from Medicare and/or your healthcare insurance after the proceedure.
    Anyway.. thats the news so far!

If anyone else is reading this, I would like to know how their experience with Metrocentre has been? Just for curiosity sake!

Good Luck for the operation, I hope it goes well! Please let us know how you got on and found the Metrocentre.
    I have heard good things about the Metrocentre and the bonus for us was that it is local, but when we enquired they said they aren't affiliated with private health and we found their prices to be a fair bit more than other surgeons,they said something about since they don't use a day surgery/hospital but their own place they have set up, then you can't claim the hospital fees back, so it would have meant more out of pocket, so it put us off a bit. Unless i totally read it wrong and didn't understand what they meant haha
    All the best though and please let us know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies
    Wanted to wish you all the luck my dh had VR done October 2012 with dr leich at the metrocentre he was amazing and still is so supportive
    Dh reversal worked we are just wanting on his SA to improve we have been ttc for 17 months now since VR and still patiently waiting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Felicia For This Useful Post:

monroe78  (25-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, I know this thread is a bit old but would love to hear how everyone is going? My husband and I went through the metrocentre for his VR in 2012. It was successful at first (sperm tests were promising) but since then the counts dropped. Dr Leich suggested we go back for a second operation but we thought we would at least go to see a FS at Repromed first for a second opinion. She said flat out that it is not wise to go back for another VR if it wasn't successful the first time. This was mainly based on years since Vasectomy (now 11) but she also spoke about the antibodies. We were considering both options but we have now decided and are going ahead with IVF instead. Mainly because I think we will have a better chance and we think it could save us time and money. My DH is 44 so we don't want to spend a lot of time trying for something that may not work.

Its a tough choice because if you see a VR dr they will tell you all the reasons their way is best and then you see a FS who performs IVF and they will tell you VR's are too unlikely to work and their way is best. I have heard success stories for both and I think you just need to go with what is best for you in terms of time, finances and emotionally...

I would suggest getting both opinions and hearing all the positives and negatives before you choose. We went straight for the VR but I would maybe at least hear from an IVF FS first if I were to go back and do it again. Best of luck and I'd love to hear how everyone is getting on!! Being in the same boat, I would love to hear success stories and share experiences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emily3011 View Post
    Hi all, I know this thread is a bit old but would love to hear how everyone is going? My husband and I went through the metrocentre for his VR in 2012. It was successful at first (sperm tests were promising) but since then the counts dropped. Dr Leich suggested we go back for a second operation but we thought we would at least go to see a FS at Repromed first for a second opinion. She said flat out that it is not wise to go back for another VR if it wasn't successful the first time. This was mainly based on years since Vasectomy (now 11) but she also spoke about the antibodies. We were considering both options but we have now decided and are going ahead with IVF instead. Mainly because I think we will have a better chance and we think it could save us time and money. My DH is 44 so we don't want to spend a lot of time trying for something that may not work.

Its a tough choice because if you see a VR dr they will tell you all the reasons their way is best and then you see a FS who performs IVF and they will tell you VR's are too unlikely to work and their way is best. I have heard success stories for both and I think you just need to go with what is best for you in terms of time, finances and emotionally...

I would suggest getting both opinions and hearing all the positives and negatives before you choose. We went straight for the VR but I would maybe at least hear from an IVF FS first if I were to go back and do it again. Best of luck and I'd love to hear how everyone is getting on!! Being in the same boat, I would love to hear success stories and share experiences

Hi Emily
    As yet we have not had the first sperm test from the procedure, is it due in a few weeks. But now I am getting nervous hearing about your situation. Did surgeon for the VR suggest why the counts have declined and why a repeat procedure would help?
    Have you tried IVF before? Are you located in VIC or elsewhere?

Sorry to hear about your situation. Admittedly it is very difficult to make a decision when you can receive a substantial amount of conflicting information for both procedures IVF and VR.
    And yes these days unfortunately it feels like its all about the money.

I had an interesting situation recently, my DH and I did 2 rounds of IVF at the start of the year. We saw our FS and decided to take a break for various reasons. Anyhow, given we decided to get a VR we did not advise the FS of this fact and did our own thing and have not been in contact with them since April. Only a few weeks back I received a call from the IVF clinic advising that that the FS had forwarded them my new program and they are ready for me to start another cycle. What the!

Its all a bit daunting and scary when you think about it. I guess don't get too stressed about things and take things in your stride.

Anyway I hope the IVF is successful.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Peninsulagirl,
    Please don't be worried by our situation as it sounds like everyone's experience with all these things are so different! The doctor said it is likely that scarring or blockage has caused the decline in sperm - so it's having trouble getting through the tubes again. So he did think a second operation could help again.

We're in the NT but we had the operation at the metro centre on the Gold Coast. We have never tried IVF before so it's a bit daunting!

Best of luck for your results coming up!! I really have my fingers crossed for you both.

Do you mind me asking why you decided to go the VR path after your two rounds of IVF? Did you find it difficult? If we have no luck this route then we may try the VR one more time. It is really hard to know the right thing to do, I think we just have to follow out instincts hey... I have heard success stories from both VR's and IVF so I think we just have to do what's right for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Emily,
    Hows your IVF going? have you started a program yet, or still checking it all out. It can be a bit daunting and the lingo is confusing, you will be the expert in no time.

For us to go down the path of VR after 2 rounds of IVF was simply the IVF path was just not feeling right for me. It did not feel natural, and I could not get it straight in my head how all the medical intervention was going to make the one chance successful, when a lot of it is up to fate. I totally get it that the IVF path is great and works for many couples, but as you may read from all these forums, there are many that have been doing IVF for many years and gone through many rounds.

The 2 rounds we had, the first resulted in only one embryo available for transfer. The second resulted in none. Therefore after $10,000 I felt that a VR would be a better investment, and if successful then there are much higher chances of conceiving than waiting for IVF rounds and treatments and $$. I personally wanted to get a VR in the first instance and then do IVF if that didn't result but the IVF FS said that VR wouldn't work. But l guess we'll just see how it all goes eh!

Anyway I am happy to pass on some knowledge for first timers if you are stuck. I also felt a little like a fish out of water, the first time, not knowing what was the right and wrong questions to ask along the process. Even though the nurses along the way were lovely and supportive, for me it was like they assumed we knew some things (which we didn't).

Anyway, enough of my rant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for responding! I completely get what you are saying about IVF and it makes sense that you would want to try a VR. I felt that was the best way to start also. I have my fingers crossed for you. I think there are so many positives to going that way and have heard many success stories!

We had our follow up appointment with the FS today and are looking at starting our first cycle 5 October, injections around 25th and egg pickup 6 nov so fingers crossed...

Our results all came back positive for me so no additional problems.

It turns out that along with a low sperm count DH also has poor motility rate so that May have been an issue even if the vasectomy was successful? So I think at least we know this is probably the best way forward for our situation, I feel more comfortable with this decision now.

One question you might be able to help with... Did you take any time off from work while you were getting the hormone injections (in addition to the day of the egg extraction and day after)? I had a friend who went through IVF recommend taking about a week off towards the end of the injections due to crazy hormones and emotions and I'm just trying to work out what leave to ask for (I'm steadied cause it's the worst timing for work I just didn't want to have to wait for any longer)... Any suggestions would be great!

Have you and DH received your first sperm test results yet from the VR? Sending you lots of positive thoughts!!