+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toy rotation system

Do you have one? How have you organised it? I'm having a huge toy cull and with what's left I want to rotate and need to know what works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No idea, but I'd like to do this too... So I'm subbing...

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing. I so need this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't do toy rotation but I have a tub each for cooking/food, blocks, little people stuff etc. and dd will choose a tub to play with and then must pack it up before she moves on to another one. I find this much more effective than just having everything together, she tends to only play with one or two tubs a day.

ETA when she was still playing with baby toys I did do rotation and every few days I would put a variety of things into a fabric cube. I would make sure there was atleast something musical, something with wheels (car, train etc) and something that required skill (shape-o ball, blocks, ring stacker thing etc)
    Last edited by atomicmama; 05-10-2013 at 17:33.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do, but my daughter's only 1.

I switch toys over about once a week. There's a large house-thing that stays in the lounge room or outside, some dedicated outdoor toys and a magnetic board & xylophone set up permanently. Otherwise, everything's rotated.
    I have a the most things in the kitchen where we play most (currently a toy laptop, a box full of balls, 2 books, a small basket with 4 picture card things inside, a stuffed fox, a pull-along crocodile and 4 little stacking cone things). There's always at least one thing with small pieces to put in/on/over other things.
    In the lounge I usually put some books and another toy or two (currently a teddy bear and a small tube with a long piece of material in it).
    I put a few out on a shelf at her height in her room. Most of the others stay in a big box in her room. She can get to the things in it, but usually isn't too interested. If she were, I'd put them elsewhere. Some things also live in the wardrobe.
    Will switch them over in a week, and try to make sure there's a variety in the type of toys in each room - but never so many that it's too annoying/time consuming to tidy up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has just turned 2 and with what we buy him and then gifts from other family he just has too much and plays with not much, just scatters it around the room. I'm over all the battery operated toys, most of them are going unless they have another function like sorting, pretend play type thing. From now on I'm sticking to the classics ie puzzles, cars/trucks, pretend play, sensory play. Already after my cull today he has actually sat and played with a few things. Now to sort into rotating containers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rotate my 11 month old's toys once a week.

I make sure he has one big toy (walker, activity centre), a set of blocks or duplo, a noisy toy, a soft toy and a musical instrument. He has free access to his books. If he has anymore then 5-6 toys there are just too many for him. He also has a drawer in the kitchen that he has free reign to.

The rest of his toys are kept in his toy box.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a rumpus room for the kids play/toy area and although I rotate toys, I would love a better system. In the room they have a toy box and basket with random toys, blocks, small table/chairs with play doh, a large basket of cars and 1-2 larger toys. At the moment I randomly select a bunch of toys and swap them oven for different ones but I don't think I do it often enough.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sometimes when the toys are all over the floor they get 'rotated' into a different order when I throw them back in the tub..not really what you were after I think

I actually use to do this, I had the expidet shelving from ikea. Then I realized how important for the imagination it was for them to be able to play with multiple sets of toys at once..for example a train track can be mixed with the animals to make a safari, with duplo/lego to make a city. Every time I tried to separate them I thought of combinations . I can totally see how it works for younger children though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Headoverfeet, that is true! My 4yr old was stacking this in a pile (without the pole and the middle part was 'wider') and he was placing his toy fish
    inside and calling it a fishbowl, then the cars inside for somethind else

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (06-10-2013)