+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Again, thank you for all the information. My phone is more unpredictable than a woman scorned, (I wrote a massive reply yesterday, which disappeared!) so I will make this post short and sweet.

My kids are 2 and 4 in December, so one of them is certainly getting closer to school age. Definitely something to take into consideration when choosing area. Having said that, I have lived in quite a few different places with my kids, and have realized that for me, location outweighs a more idyllic neighbourhood and a nicer home. Living central is crucial for us (since I don't yet drive), so I understand that we might have to pay more than anticipated for a more dodgy home. Home is where the heart is, so we will make it work, as per usual.

Just another question: Am I understanding it correctly in saying that the "heart" of the city is not actually the CBD (where the old town hall is), but rather around the Hamilton area?
    Last edited by MuminMind; 10-10-2013 at 13:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuminMind View Post
    A
    Just another question: Am I understanding it correctly in saying that the "heart" of the city is not actually the CBD (where the old town hall is), but rather around the Hamilton area?
    Pretty much, they are trying to revitalise the city centre and there are some awesome shops popping up but it still doesn't have that heart of the city feel. Hamiliton is much busier and dynamic, but expensive (or a bit dodgy) Tighes Hill is really close to Hamilton and has some appeal, as does Maryville.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The Junction is also cool but tends to be a bit pricey, but there are houses in your price range sometimes.
    http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...tion-411527971

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I suppose the best way I could describe it is that the CBD is not really 'buzzing' with activity and people. There are quite a few vacant shops.

Hamilton's Beaumont Street is fairly lively with eateries etc. I've lived in Sydney and it kind of reminds me of Sydney around that area.

I think you'd be happy if you could find the right house in Hamilton/Cooks Hill/The Junction. You'd have access to plenty of shops and stuff just by heading out and about on foot. I imagine public transport would be pretty good around there too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-10-2013)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome! It is so hard to get an idea of a place from simply looking at maps and reading council's suburb descriptions (they are never going to tell you about the brothels and the bikie gangs, are they?); so talking to the locals is fantastic.

Now, who wants to be my new BFF? I am slightly mad but mostly harmless; like people, animals, traveling, literature, wine and walks on the beach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think the best way to describe the cbd is a ghost town..lol.
    People just don't go there. I guess for most people there would be no need. It's probably a bit out of the way. Usually the CBD is centrally located and in Newcastle for some reason it isn't.

I've heard that Westfield at Kotara is responsible for the death of the CBD. I haven't really been here long enough to know if that's true? Makes sense though, in that the major shopping centres are probably more conveniently located for most.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love going into the CBD! I do only live in Cooks Hill though so it's close for me. The hunter st mall has one penny black which i think is one of the best coffees in Newcastle!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beetee For This Useful Post:

Hootenanny  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Now, who wants to be my new BFF? I am slightly mad but mostly harmless; like people, animals, traveling, literature, wine and walks on the beach.
    I'll be your pal MIM! Let me know if you end up moving here and we can buddy up

P.S. I love wine!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im about a 50 min drive away, im not overly into what you are but im good at listening and being awkward?

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (10-10-2013)

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We're on, Degrassi! <3

Don't worry Zombie_Eyes, I was just trying to sound sort of sophisticated; I'm mainly about gossip magazine, trashy tv and cask wine. I never actually walk on the beach either, it just felt like the right thing to write. And I don't mind awkward at all; I think I come across as a bit weird socially, so we are a match made in heaven!
    Last edited by MuminMind; 10-10-2013 at 21:47.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (11-10-2013),Zombie_eyes  (10-10-2013)