+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked
    936
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedMummy View Post
    Try Iron Horse Inn at Cardiff, amazing garlic damper and a few variations of schnitzel. You can get vouchers online for a second meal for $7 too.
    Got to love a shoppa docket. They have one for the WBH too.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 06-10-2013 at 19:09.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

    ExcitedMummyxxx  (10-10-2013)

  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,694
    Thanks
    1,185
    Thanked
    3,209
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why did you choose Newcastle? Was it just a random pick? We are in merewether but living in a mining town during the week. We get back some Sundays though for the Newcastle farmers markets that I just love.


    Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,618
    Thanks
    905
    Thanked
    1,482
    Reviews
    19
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi. I do not live in Newcastle but was almost posted there so did a fair bit research, including a trip over. I really recommend you take a trip over and check it out prior to movin, if feasible - just in case you get there and suddenly think 'oh dear, this wasn't the sea change I was imagining'. No matter what everyone told me about Newcastle i really needed to see it in person first to make sense of the areas and what areas I would be happy to live in.
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 06-10-2013 at 19:19. Reason: Irrelevant

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,017
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    Hi. I do not live in Newcastle but was almost posted there so did a fair bit research, including a trip over. I really recommend you take a trip over and check it out prior to movin, if feasible - just in case you get there and suddenly think 'oh dear, this wasn't the sea change I was imagining'. No matter what everyone told me about Newcastle i really needed to see it in person first to make sense of the areas and what areas I would be happy to live in etc.
    Also Newcastle apparently has a 'smell' about it because as soon as anyone found out I wasn't from there they would ask if I noticed the smell?? I didn't really - maybe this is a Newcastle in-joke I don't get. Interesting little tidbit for you.
    Best of luck.
    Really? I've never heard of or noticed this apparent smell.
    I think the air smells just like air... no different in scent to the air I use to breath in Brisbane. The air quality might be poorer due to coal dust though.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

    ExcitedMummyxxx  (10-10-2013),αληθη  (06-10-2013)

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked
    936
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Really? I've never heard of or noticed this apparent smell.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Me either. That's really strange. I've been here 14 years now and have never heard of that.

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked
    239
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There used to be a smell and quite bad smog from BHP but they have gone now and the air is clean. There is certainly a smell on kooragang island from the pool fibreglassing but no one lives there anyway.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked
    176
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are currently renting a flat in one of the suburbs mentioned by PP where there are a lot of restaurants etc. We love living here, but it is expensive ($400 p/w for a 2 bed flat with a shared concrete 'backyard'). There is lots of 'wildlife' always walking past our place from the huge DOH area a couple of kms from here, and they have broken into my car a couple of times, but other than that we don't have a lot of trouble. I lived in cardiff for quite a while and it was great in terms of public transport, walking distance to good supermarkets etc. I think maryville/tighes hill/islington is a LOT better than it ever was before, it's actually a very affluent area these days, and those suburbs are great inner city living! Will come back if I can think of anything else

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,017
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubintummy View Post
    We are currently renting a flat in one of the suburbs mentioned by PP where there are a lot of restaurants etc. We love living here, but it is expensive ($400 p/w for a 2 bed flat with a shared concrete 'backyard'). There is lots of 'wildlife' always walking past our place from the huge DOH area a couple of kms from here, and they have broken into my car a couple of times, but other than that we don't have a lot of trouble. I lived in cardiff for quite a while and it was great in terms of public transport, walking distance to good supermarkets etc. I think maryville/tighes hill/islington is a LOT better than it ever was before, it's actually a very affluent area these days, and those suburbs are great inner city living! Will come back if I can think of anything else
    Lol @ 'wildlife'.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  11. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked
    176
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Lol @ 'wildlife'.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's the nicest word I can think of 😜

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

    HarvestMoon  (06-10-2013)

  13. #40
    αληθη's Avatar
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanks
    3,031
    Thanked
    805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really think you should look into Lambton or Wallsend for your pets and kids as well as rent affordability for a decent place. My ex did his teaching placement this semester at Wallsend South Primary and he thought it was a great little school. I'm not far from Lambton Public which is also quite nice. A mate's girlfriend has just finished at Kotara High which is apparently quite good and she enjoyed it there. I think rent at Kotara is reasonable as well and you have the Westfield and homemaker there for shopping and whatnot. It's not hard to catch a bus to Hamilton or Darby St for the cafés and hipster-ness.


    Sent from my talky stick with a minion glued to me.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-08-2013, 21:15
  2. Baby talk. Stop it.
    By snowqu33n in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14-05-2013, 15:15
  3. For those fed up with all the baby talk/announcement on FB...
    By ExcuseMyFrench in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 16:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Little Kickers NSW
Little Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we provide a positive fun-filled soccer program for children aged 18 months -7 years in a vibrant, group play environment.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!