+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MuminMind View Post
    Thank you for your responses!

HarvestMoon, (if you don't mind sharing); where did you come from when you moved to Newcastle? Somewhere bigger or smaller, for example? Do you like it in Newcastle?

I gate to admit it, but nature (including the beach) is really not so important to me. I like graffiti, buskers, food and art. And wine!

I suppose what I am most curious about, is how many suburbs are considered part of/close to the city centre. Looking at maps and reading about the individual suburbs, I still don't quite understand if all the great places are spread out, or whether there is a "heart" of Newcastle, so to speak.
    I moved from Brisbane. Initially I noticed a lack of services in comparison to a capital city, but I guess there is going to be less of everything when moving to a regional area, right? Lol.
    In terms of food, it really sucks! I think i might find this more so because I'm a vegetarian and Newcastle hasn't really caught up with the notion that not everyone consumes your typical meat laden diet.

It's not all bad though. For the most part I like it.

Newcastle is odd in that the city is not the heart of the city like you would expect.
    The city centre reminds me of a small version of the Queen st Mall in Bris ( if you've ever been there?) It's just a hell of a lot quieter. A lot of shops sit vacant as no one really goes into town. I think they are working at trying to revive it but who knows if they will succeed?

I think you might like suburbs like Hamilton or Cooks Hill, maybe even The Junction. Rents are probably a bit higher in these areas but it's probably where you are going to find what you are looking for by the sounds of it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Actually Warners Bay might interest you as well. I know you don't care for nature and it's right on the lake but there are cafes and restaurants along the esplande. It's really nice..I would live out there if I had the money. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cooks Hill is a great suburb! Thats where we live! It has everything you are after in terms of graffiti, buskers, cafe culture and wine! It's nice and central to buses and trains and there are 2 shopping centres within walking distance.

The junction and Hamilton areas are also nice areas with similar sort of culture and easy to access public transport from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've just moved to Adamstown Heights & I love it! It's really central to everything but it's quiet & leafy.

You would probably like Hamilton?

I like that there's heaps of stuff to do and see here, and it's cheaper & less dirty/crowded than Sydney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you want arty and hustle and bustle the best places are probably Hamilton (but not all parts), Cooks Hill, Inner Newcastle, maybe Tighes Hill or Carrington - there are some nice spots and not so nice spots. I loved Lambton, it was close enough to everything and has nice little shops and community. The public transport seems ok, maybe just check the maps/timetables when you find somewhere you like. Do you want a house or a unit, most inner city places are units - particularly if you want affordable.
    Stay away from Mayfield and Windale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Really depend on what you can afford rent wise. If your looking to be close to the beaches, cafes , restaurants etc Hamilton South/The Junction would work but it's pricey. It has good bus services but you'd need to bus it to a station for the train. I know people who live in Cook's Hill and love it.
    Hamilton south has that giant DOH area within it. I think I would avoid it like the plague! It's all sorts of dodgy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Hamilton south has that giant DOH area within it. I think I would avoid it like the plague! It's all sorts of dodgy.

The other side of Hamilton south is really lovely, the side closer to Hamilton east/the junction - it's a bit pricier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    The other side of Hamilton south is really lovely, the side closer to Hamilton east/the junction - it's a bit pricier.
    Fair enough. I'd still be reluctant to live anywhere near there though.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Newcastle! So many options and the buses are great and there are heaps of tracks to walk where you want to go (I'm in uni suburbs on a border, so the uni and shopping centres are close to walk to and it's such lovely walks!). If you like beaches you could look at Newcastle and the Junction. Personally I love Warrabrook and Lambton as somewhere to live, so lovely. I'll be looking in these areas when I move out of this place next year
    The uni has two child care centres with vacancies and there are so many other options around as well depending what area you choose.

Sent from my talky stick with a minion glued to me.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Actually Warners Bay might interest you as well. I know you don't care for nature and it's right on the lake but there are cafes and restaurants along the esplande. It's really nice..I would live out there if I had the money. .

Yes! I love going to Warners Bay for coffee and it's gorgeous there.

Sent from my talky stick with a minion glued to me.