+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off - Share your healthy recipes/snacks

So in my obesity thread, a lot of posters were saying that a lot of parents don't know about healthy choices & simply are uneducated. So please educate us!!! Please share your healthy recipes & a snacks & we can all work together towards a healthier lifestyle for our families

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been making this recipe up lately (http://www.stayathomemum.com.au/reci...apricot-slice/)because my DD was begging for slice to take to kinder because her kinder friends had slice in their lunch box.

There is another raw date slice on the same site as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm... snacks

Sweet:
    Banana pancakes - mashed banana & egg, mixed, fried
    Banana bites - 1 banana to 1/2 cup oats, mashed, any additions, baked like biscuits at 180 for 10-15 min
    Pikelets - wholemeal flour, baking powder, mashed banana, berries (or other additions), milk if needed. Fried/baked/cooked on non-stick flat toaster
    Bliss balls - medjool dates (or drier ones soaked), favourite nuts, cocoa. Finely processed, rolled into balls, coated in coconut

Savoury:
    zucchini slice
    savoury muffins
    arancini (essentially baked balls of risotto)

GirlsRock - That apricot slice looks delicious! My partner would love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do rice paper rolls, just grated carrot, cucumber, iceberg lettuce and some tuna seasoned with a bit of sesame oil and some soy.

Lamb koftas we just season some minced lamb, add an egg and I usually make it into little pop type shapes on some paddle pop sticks so DD can dunk it in some taziki. I make a batch and freeze them in 3s so I have them on hand for DDs lunch.

Smoothies are always a go to as well, fruit, natural yoghurt, some milk, LSA and chia.

Dried fruit balls, soak whatever dried fruit in a bit of boiling water, blend in the food processor, add whatever nut meal you like, some fresh OJ. Roll into balls and cover in coconut. We do cranberry, apricot and hazelnut, peach and almond, mango and walnut. Whatever we have on hand really.

As a sweet treat sesame and chopped nut 'brittle'. I chop some nuts up so they're okay for DD to eat, then coat it all in a bit of raw honey and cinnamon, spread out flat on a baking tray and bake in the oven.

For when I can't be bothered to do a proper meal, I get a roast chicken, shred the meat, toss it in a wok with some finely diced snow peas, grated carrot, chopped water chestnuts any other veggies I feel like, add water, a little bit of stock, soy. When the veggies are done I spoon the mix into lettuce cups and put a little bit of San Choy bow sauce on the top. Takes no more than 15 mins.

I usually try to substitute things for healthier options as well, white flour for wholemeal or nut meal, butter for coconut oil etc. I always offer DD a bowl of fruit or veggies to snack on while I'm organising her main meals as it keeps her happy and out of my way while I'm cooking. I usually leave the fruit and veggies for her to snack on through the day if she doesn't finish them, if they're cut up and lying around on her table I find I eat them as well (much better than my biscuit addiction!)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RandR For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (07-10-2013),Renn  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing for lots of inspiration

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing cause these are great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just popped some banana chips in the oven to cook. It's just sliced banana dipped in lemon juice. Pop on baking paper and cook at a low heat (100 fir fan forced oven) for around 1-2 hours.

I've also got banana icecreams in the freezer. Banana, chobani natural Greek yoghurt, chia seeds, honey and water. Blended & put into moulds. My boys love these as a treat.

I'll add more recipes shortly

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make what I call "super healthy lasagne" and DD looooves it. It is basically normal lasagne but I replace the meat in the sauce with veggies, lentils, kidney beans and chick peas. I sometimes put a small amount of beef mince in but you don't have to. I use mountain bread instead of lasagne sheets, make white sauce with hardly any butter and skim milk, and do just a bare sprinkle of low-fat cheese on top. it's a really decent alternative to "normal" lasagne and tastes just as good IMO - DD prefers it to her grandma's extra-meaty, extra-cheesy version.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (07-10-2013)