+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to explain my full situation, but I don't have the energy sorry :P

We have 1 day a week which is essentially the weekend for my partner. We generally do stuff as a family that day. Since he works from home, I also take a couple of hours once a week (about half of that our daughter's napping) to go and do whatever I want on my own. I also go out to friends' places/my sister's place (we're good friends) at least once a month. I do this after my daughter's asleep. I could do this far more often (and probably should) but it often feels like a lot of effort at the end of the day.

My partner's happy to look after our daughter any time I want a break. If he worked a "typical" job, I guess I'd take half a day our of the weekend, and an evening here and there for me-time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My children are grown and growing, but when the older ones were small I stayed at home a lot, it was a lot of effort to go out other than grocery shopping and my partner was not very encouraging or willing to look after the kids (there were three in a short space of time) but as they grew and went to kinder and school, friendships develop with women you meet - you do need to be the one to say something first, maybe get involved in a committee when your third is in kindergarten, but just put yourself out there. The kids make friends and there will be playdates etc, you'll be OK. That said, while difficult - it would be advisable to get some 'me' time in. Especially before baby arrives. What about Mum or MIL?? A day here and there? You always feel so refreshed and ready to return to mummy work when you've had a few hours, even one, to yourself!!

You sound like you are doing a great job BTW!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    The PIL are retired but live 12 hours away and my parents still work full time so my mum takes them for an hour here and there whenever she can. She also looks after my nan who suffered a broken hip recently and is struggling on her own so my mum finds herself pretty busy.
    I was considering joining my son's kinder committee next year but I've no idea how a committee runs or what each person does so I think I might just sit back and watch next year and decide when my second is in kinder.
    My husband encourages me to try and make dinner reservations with friends and he'll have the kids but the plans never get sorted and even though I do try and get it organised everyone seems to have something else come up or they just never get back to me. It's a bit disheartening. I feel I must have become rather dull since becoming a mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't see any of my childless friends. Social interaction for me is mostly my dad who visits regularly, my DH, or play dates. I don't even know how to change this so I understand OP.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummasaurus Rex View Post
    Where do all of you find the time to get to do these things? .
    I allocate one night a week, one half day a fortnight and one whole day a month just for me (no kids). Dh does bedtime on the night I'm off ( I have a 3yo and 1yo). I usually catch up with my friends who don't have kids for dinner or a drink etc.

We split a day and I have half ie before nap or after nap. Usually on a day Dh and I both have off. I either go shopping solo or sit in a cafe and read trashy mags. Or I catch up with friends.

One day a month I rope my mum in to mind one child (occ overnight) and leave Dh with the other and I bolt outside till bedtime. Dh gets the same time for him. We plan it in the calendar and its something we look forward to. I'm off tomorrow night for a girl's night out

I catch up with mummy friends when I have the kids.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummasaurus Rex View Post
    Where do all of you find the time to get to do these things? I always have the kids as DH works so going to get a massage during the week is not going to be relaxing with the kids there lol. DH and I have dinner or lunch alone once a month on a Saturday, my mum takes the boys that day and I always really enjoy that. And of course their isn't a cinema in town or many shops apart from Safeway, Millers and Target country so it grocery shopping or nothing.
    I really need to get some new hobbies that give me a chance to meet people and make friends.
    My df looks after her a fair bit! I book in as soon as he can get there from work so he meets us there & takes her then I catch bus home. I left my DIG, so don't really see many 'mum friends'. Df works 5-5 ATM so it's been hard but we make it work. Me and dd goto bed at 8 pm and he enjoys his Xbox lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a big group of mums I meet every Friday from 11 to 2 or 3..that's all..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didnt really see anyone... aside from family.

However recently I have been studying, 1 day a week, I do work placement 1 day a week and work 2 days a week. I thought id hate it all and give it up! Being busy makes me work harder and I am actually really enjoying it. These are things I do for me, which I never really valued before. I used to just enjoy my long, hot, uniterrupted shower on a day dh was home and that was it!

Find something you love and go for it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-10-2013)