+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH does karate, he started to join DS when he started getting into it...DD has just started.

We do our best to get outside every weekend...even if it is just to the park for an hour. We have struggled greatly with this as DD has been a shocking sleeper. She finally started sleeping through 2 weeks ago (she is 3 ) and things have been picking up.

We have a trampoline and swing set and will often all just hang in the backyard.

We talk about nutrition. We talk about the importance of balancing what we eat with how much we move. We model this reasonably well...I am a work in progress though as the impact of 3 years with no more than 1-2 hours uninterupted sleep took a major toll on me.

DUe to DS having many food sensitivities we followed failsafe eating for years...so our kids are well aware about additives in food and know that colourings and preservatives and the like can cause negative side effects.

The threads today have inspired me to do more, which i am greatful for. My kids are very healthy but there is def room for improvement...our lives are at a point of great change and i am going to tie in healthier eating/activity to this. Now it is spring we can start walking more which i think i will implement from tomorrow when i drag DS out of bed a bit earlier so we can walk to karate lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A few things we do are...

Take trips to the beach/pool etc as often as possible.
    Keep a bike or skateboard in the boot of the car & if we have some spare time after grocery shopping or come across a skate park or board walk we pull them out...
    Christmas or birthdays I try to think of gifts outdoors like soccer balls, tennis racket, trampoline etc...
    Weekly swimming lessons.
    Go to the park/playground as often as possible.
    We often visit national parks, walking trails & mountain hikes together.
    (If Ds is not so keen I give him a scavenger hunt or a camera to bring along)

Food wise I get Ds to choose things & flip through recipe books together.
    Reading books about health, teeth, taking care of our body.
    Ds also helps me cook in the kitchen.
    We grow our own veggie garden.
    I am always putting new things on Ds's plate & I say he does not have to eat it but it might be nice to try some & see if he likes it .

Ds sees me enjoying yoga, walking & other sports. I love to eat healthy, learn about nutrition & get involved with fun activities. I'm always eager to try new activities like kyaking, rock climbing & sky diving... I think being a role model long term & consistently certainly helps & opens their eyes to a wide range of possibilities .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    @Babycharlieandme, would your toddler sit on a smart trike for your family walks?
    That's a good idea. He might like that. He sits in the pram without much fuss but when I want a good walk he tends it get bored. I will try a trike though and see if that keeps him entertained

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone

Great ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pack lunches every day- even for home days, with fruit, wholegrains, spinach, carrots... Home made oat cookies or home made muffins, and only water or milk to drink, no cordial.

Kids help with cooking and learn about different foods.

I run on my treadmill 3-4 times per week and they know it stops mum from being grumpy!

Tv is only on for maximum 1 hour per day most of the time, and we get outside and have scooter races in the yard or take the dogs to the beach.

Also I encourage them to help with housework. At 4 & 6 they put away their own folded washing, put their own dirties in the basket, unload and load the dishwasher, set the table, pick up their own toys.

And I give lots if hugs and positive feedback. Mental health is important too.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't drive so we walk everywhere. Since DS was about 2 he was expected to walk or scoot with me. He knows that I go for runs to get fast and strong, and DP plays indoor soccer and he is also fast and strong (but not as fast and strong as mummy)
    We all eat healthily 90% of the time and I am teaching DS to help cook so it will always be natural for him to know how to do it. I think that's a huge factor, knowing how to whip up something healthy and quick so you don't have to rely on pre packaged food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any kids yet but you guys are all amazing, I plan to learn from all of your advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We walk from school each day. 35-40 mins walk. I exercise at home 3-4 times a week. DH and the kids swim every Saturday and sunday sometimes ride bikes Food wise, I grew up eating very healthy (mostly fish and veggies ) so it's easy to apply now to my own family. cook everything from scratch but allow myself and the family "relaxed meals" twice weekly. (usually take aways).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD and I play "just dance" on the wii together. We have started doing the "just sweat" aerobics option as well and DD loves it, is always asking if we can do it. We also have a basketball hoop out the back and throw the ball around a bit.

DD is a pretty good eater, although she is extremely fond of junk. we do the "sometimes food" thing and she gets a stomach ache after eating too much sugar so she is starting to become aware of what it does to our body and why we should limit it.