+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you do as a family to promote a healthy lifestyle / excercise

I'm interested in how you role model healthy lifestyle to your kids and what activities you do as a family that involves exercise and fitness?

We try to walk every Saturday and Sunday as a family but that's a but boring for my toddler. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take the dog for a walk daily with my kids.
    Sometimes if dh isn't working he comes too.
    We don't make walks a choice, it's just something that's done daily, unless someone is sick of course, I'm trying to teach the kids it's just something normal you do daily, like brushing your teeth or drinking water.

Some ways I make it more interesting for my 3yo:
    - she takes a bucket and fills it with leaves, rocks, twigs for craft when we get back home.
    - ask her to count cars, or tell me the colors of cars going past as we walk.
    - we stop off at a big open field with a ball and we kick it around, play tiggy etc
    - she has fancy shoes that light up (got these recently from kmart) which are only for walks, she loves the shoes so will be all up for a walk if I bring the shoes out.

We live by the rule that there is no "adult drinks" like coke etc in the house.
    Nothing is off limits to the kids as it's all healthy now.
    I hated saying "that's for adults" all the time, we stopped as I don't think it's installing good views into our kids, they might think its unfair that we could eat chips, drink soft drink etc because we are adults and they have to have water and a bowl of veggies, I want them to be healthy for life, not just as a child who when reaching adulthood goes and has all the stuff mum and dad use to have because they think that normal in adulthood iykwim.
    Dh and I still might have chocolate etc once a week but we do it when they are in bed where and never know about it

The kids help with meal preparations, they help doing the shopping, they bag all the veggies and each week my 3yo has a job, and that's to try a new veggie/fruit and learn the color, name, texture of it, no one else gets that "special" veggie except her, I just make her feel extra important like its a huge job for her to have.
    I now avoid the "crap" isles, they don't see it then no questions get asked.
    It's hard a check outs etc where there is Sweets everywhere, they ask, almost all the time and I just say no.
    Lots of tantrums at first but now they know I won't back down.
    They still ask lol, but only once.

We try to do things each weekend.
    For years my husband and I would sit around all day doing jack all, but now we get out and do things on our days off.

My husband and I were quite overweight for a long time.
    It got to the point the kids were asking for junk non stop, behavior was shocking, sugar highs and all sorts.
    I've always struggled with weight, I did so much to loose it all, it was such a hard experience but that's when I realized I did not want my children to ever think the way my husband and I lived was normal, I never wanted my kids to have to experience the feeling of having to loose huge amounts of weight like I did.
    It was hard, and I swear the kids hated me for a good while because of it.
    Most of the time they wouldn't eat anything because it wasn't junk.
    But stick to your guns and the end result is well worth it.

My eldest was at a party a few weeks back and had cake, lollies, cordial.
    I was ok with this as it would have been the first time in about 9 months he has had it.
    He said after he had a sore tummy and didn't like that stuff anymore.
    We had another party last weekend and he didn't eat any of it lol.
    I never thought I would have a child like that. Ever.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bergeron For This Useful Post:

Babycharlieandme  (04-10-2013),glittertg  (05-10-2013),MrsTugs  (04-10-2013),River Song  (04-10-2013),shelle65  (05-10-2013),Vonnie89  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I take the dog for a walk daily with my kids.
    Sometimes if dh isn't working he comes too.
    We don't make walks a choice, it's just something that's done daily, unless someone is sick of course, I'm trying to teach the kids it's just something normal you do daily, like brushing your teeth or drinking water.

Some ways I make it more interesting for my 3yo:
    - she takes a bucket and fills it with leaves, rocks, twigs for craft when we get back home.
    - ask her to count cars, or tell me the colors of cars going past as we walk.
    - we stop off at a big open field with a ball and we kick it around, play tiggy etc
    - she has fancy shoes that light up (got these recently from kmart) which are only for walks, she loves the shoes so will be all up for a walk if I bring the shoes out.

We live by the rule that there is no "adult drinks" like coke etc in the house.
    Nothing is off limits to the kids as it's all healthy now.
    I hated saying "that's for adults" all the time, we stopped as I don't think it's installing good views into our kids, they might think its unfair that we could eat chips, drink soft drink etc because we are adults and they have to have water and a bowl of veggies, I want them to be healthy for life, not just as a child who when reaching adulthood goes and has all the stuff mum and dad use to have because they think that normal in adulthood iykwim.
    Dh and I still might have chocolate etc once a week but we do it when they are in bed where and never know about it

The kids help with meal preparations, they help doing the shopping, they bag all the veggies and each week my 3yo has a job, and that's to try a new veggie/fruit and learn the color, name, texture of it, no one else gets that "special" veggie except her, I just make her feel extra important like its a huge job for her to have.
    I now avoid the "crap" isles, they don't see it then no questions get asked.
    It's hard a check outs etc where there is Sweets everywhere, they ask, almost all the time and I just say no.
    Lots of tantrums at first but now they know I won't back down.
    They still ask lol, but only once.

We try to do things each weekend.
    For years my husband and I would sit around all day doing jack all, but now we get out and do things on our days off.

My husband and I were quite overweight for a long time.
    It got to the point the kids were asking for junk non stop, behavior was shocking, sugar highs and all sorts.
    I've always struggled with weight, I did so much to loose it all, it was such a hard experience but that's when I realized I did not want my children to ever think the way my husband and I lived was normal, I never wanted my kids to have to experience the feeling of having to loose huge amounts of weight like I did.
    It was hard, and I swear the kids hated me for a good while because of it.
    Most of the time they wouldn't eat anything because it wasn't junk.
    But stick to your guns and the end result is well worth it.

My eldest was at a party a few weeks back and had cake, lollies, cordial.
    I was ok with this as it would have been the first time in about 9 months he has had it.
    He said after he had a sore tummy and didn't like that stuff anymore.
    We had another party last weekend and he didn't eat any of it lol.
    I never thought I would have a child like that. Ever.
    Thank you for such a long and detailed reply. Great ideas.

We too have recently started clean eating and stopped buying junk as a start. DH lost 16kgs and I lost 8kgs so far. Both want to loose about 20kgs.

But most importantly I want to change our habits before our boys are much older. They are 2 and 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think modelling healthy behaviours is the best thing.

We do a lot of things for the above list, we also try and all get a reasonable amount of sleep (so important for good health, although I realise not always possible with young kids!)

We try and limit screen time too, especially if the sun is shining... it's outside they go!

Another thing that I think contributes to good health is having a positive attitude, so we try and encourage that too. As do most of us I'm sure! (says she that had to apologise 3 times yesterday for being too cranky with her kids )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Babycharlieandme, would your toddler sit on a smart trike for your family walks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Minimise tv/electronic interaction whilst the kids are awake, spend a lot of time outside whilst they are awake, eat according to the old healthy diet pyramid (I know things have changed) but we focus on lots of fruit, veg, whole grain cereals, lean meats etc. we lead by doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have just one DS and he is a bit older so it's pretty easy for us. I do yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays and DS knows this and he knows why I do it. DP does squash on Wednesdays while I take DS to karate. We often play handball with DS, his new obsession, and walk to the shops if the weather permits. I'm pretty lucky that I have a naturally active DS and I really don't have to do anything to 'motivate' him, in fact, sometimes I wish he'd just sit bloody still

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We swim at least twice a week, kick the soccer ball in the yard or similar each day. We've also started going for bike rides/walks.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babycharlieandme View Post
    I'm interested in how you role model healthy lifestyle to your kids and what activities you do as a family that involves exercise and fitness?

We try to walk every Saturday and Sunday as a family but that's a but boring for my toddler. Any ideas?
    Well, firstly i will just clarify that we are certainly not the poster children for an active lifestyle but, when we go to the playground I try to get involved as much as possible, jumping and skipping across some of the big rubber-crete stones, pushing dd on the roundabout thing by running around with it etc. Get a kite and head to a park with the kite. At home we have a few different toddler sports toys like a little tikes t-ball set that we play in the yard, frisbee and I want to get DD a totem tennis. If you really throw yourself into these activities you can get your heart rate up, wear them out and improve their agility and hand eye coordination (I have been amazed the MY child can hit the t-ball so well).