+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thoughts about starting a family while still studying.

Hello!

I'm 29 and I've just come off the pill. For the past few years I've been studying law part time while working full time. At this rate I have another 4 years of part time study or 2 years full time study. If we had a baby I would like to go on mat leave and then become a full time student instead of returning to full time work when the time came.

I am not in a hurry to finish the degree (if I were I'd do it full time now and hold off on baby for 2 years) but it is definitely a priority for me. I am very focussed on completing it. My DH and I are really, really wanting to start a family.

Has anyone done this? What is hard, what is easy and what is not possible? I have a supportive family and group of friends but both our parents live far away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Imo - if you want a baby, I say go for it! There is always going to be time for study and a career but fertility is limited!

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mummaf For This Useful Post:

bambipickle  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started a doctorate the year we got married - I have had 2 kids in the time I have been studying, taking 12 mths off with my daughter and 14 mths off with my son. The biggest challenge for us was the cycle of ongoing illness when my daughter started daycare. I know it's not that way for everyone, but my daughter was sick so often that I missed so much uni and had trouble making it up. She was also a poor sleeper so that was difficult too.

I am hoping things will be smoother when I go back in Jan as both kids will be settled in to family daycare.

I definitely say go for it, but be realistic in your expectations when you return and don't take too much on!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

bambipickle  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

I agree that mine is a good age to start. We would like to start a family now rather than later and hopefully have more than one child so I definitely want to start now!

I think I just need to hear that other people have done this and it can be done. I think it would be akin to working as a new mum but as I haven't been there its nice to get some perspective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been studying this year - my 'baby' is three, so not a baby really at all - with a combination of external and internal study and my husband taking our son to work with him on occasion, I have been able to get through the year without needing childcare.
    I'm expecting our second in march, so will take semester 1 of off uni and return part-time external for semester 2. So that I won't be needing to put bubs into care until the following year.
    I think you can make anything 'doable and workable' if you're really committed!
    Good luck!!

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mummaf For This Useful Post:

bambipickle  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Studying while having children really works out for some people.
    If you think about it, by the time you are finished studying, your kids are off to school- what a perfect time to start a new career!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bambipickle. I too am studying law at uni and have just reached the halfway point. I have an 8yo ds from a previous relationship work part time and study part time a mix of internal and external.

My plan has always been to complete my family before I finish my degree. I figure once I start my career (I will be over 30 by the time I finish) I want to be able to concentrate on that and not be taking long periods of time off for maternity leave.

I am now pregnant and when I have bub will not be returning to my current position so I can concentrate on the kids and uni.

When my son was a baby he was really easy. As he has gotten older he has needed far more of my time. He has recently been diagnosed with ADHD which was no surprise. Each child is different so you never really know what to expect.

I would suggest looking at the pros and cons for you to consider what you best option is. Also I have tried to time conception as well as possible to fit in with uni holidays. I'm due at the beginning of June so just before exams. I will be taking 2 subjects in sem 1 which are assignment based assessments only and don't have exams so will be able to complete before bub is due hopefully. Depending on when bub is actually born we will have 6-8 wks to get into the swing of things before s2 starts. Which will also help in making a decision on what study load I will be able to handle at that time.

It may also be an idea to have a chat to the uni about support options they have.

When it comes down to it, it is doable. It better be or I'm in trouble. It sounds like you have the motivation to get your degree finished no matter what you are doing anyway.

The other thing is having a supportive partner and family and friends.

Good luck on making your decision.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carrie77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hadn't considered that I could finish just as they are ready for school! That is a very good point. Some really positive comments coming up here. I'm feeling much more confident about my choice now. I don't expect it to be easy but I really want to keep studying!