+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by siesmum View Post
    I have a Russian Blue which is a beautiful cat and is reallly good with dd. she likes to stay inside and very rarely leaves the house
    We have a Russian blue too but he thinks he's a dog and an outdoor cat, drives us nuts meowing to go outside.

They are awesome with kids aren't they, he's never scratched anyone, when he's had enough he just walks away and goes to his hidey spot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Louise, I have domestic short/long hair 4 cats and all are indoors. They've always been inside inly cats. the eldest is obsessed with getting outside though, and has escaped a few times over the years. We have to be really careful to close all doors straight away and not leave any windows open. If we had a dog door, the cats would be out it for sure big the magnetic strip ones like someone mentioned earlier would be a good idea.

I think it's fantastic that you're considering a rescue kitty (even better if you get two!). I've done some rescue work and adult cats usually take the longest to rehome so if you'd consider an adult, it's always fantastic to see them re homed. I know some people are wary of adult cats and prefer a kitten to grow up with the kids but really, a kitten is only a kitten for a few months and most rescues are able to match you with a kitten/cat that suits your family and lifestyle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a tortoiseshell when I was a kid @ I now have a marmalade and they both were great indoor cats, although I let my marmalade out during day for sun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    we are thinking a kitten from a rescue shelter that has been abandoned..

so we would not be able to pick a breed

but yes he/she will be inside and we will invest in lots of toys and play stuff like a scratching pole..

i may even try and convince hubby we need 2 !!!
    I did this, got two to keep each other company. Two is as much hassle as one and they always have someone to cuddle/play with. Got mine from the pound too. My boy was 18mo old but had been in the shelter since he was 6w. Not sure how long she had been there for but was a few months older.
    If you have the choice, get a ginger! I've had Ginger cats in my life and they are the best. My tortoiseshell is hard work though.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with bubbles.. Our ginger is the most affectionate cat ever (to the point of annoying sometimes) and most of the gingers I've dealt with have been pretty smoochy. I think tortoiseshell's are often more temperamental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you do want a purebred, keep an eye on the shelter website. I recently got a 5 year old siamese, he has settled in beautifully. The shelter near me has two Devon rexes for adoption now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are also rescue groups for specific breeds. I've seen groups for siamese and burmese, there's probably heaps more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are interested in Bengals, that have always been indoor cats but are not kittens I have a friend who used to breed them and is now rehoming her menagerie of cats.
    Bengals are pretty lovely.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a ginger maine coon.

He was the most chilled out giant fella out..... Biggest sweetheart .... all he wanted to do was sit on your shoulders....whether you were walking around cleaning or sitting down hed be there...

He also loved kids...

He sadly passed away due to old age.

I would recommend one to everyone.

Yeah just keep them inside from the get go
    Last edited by missymoo9; 05-10-2013 at 07:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double