+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default indoor cat breed

hi
    we are looking at getting a kitten and it would be an indoor kitten/cat .

we have 2 dogs and our house is tiled so we dont mind about hair..

what is a good breed to get that would like to be indoors?

i know we will have to be strict with keeping it inside .

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 14 year old tonkanese (1/2 Siamese 1/2 Burmese) she has always been an inside cat, but she is a loud cat. Birman are a lovely breed that might suit you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think any breed. As long as you get it from a kitten and keep it inside. It won't ever know otherwise. Our family cat has always been indoors but we got him from about 14weeks old from the R S P C A. No particular breed just hasn't been offered to go outside. He is so lovely and clean because of it. And there's a lot of vaccinations you don't have to worry about getting for them either.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

BubinDec  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think any breed is fine.

I have always had rescue adult cats.
    All the kittens go fast and I feel for the older ones.
    Never had a breed either they have just been mixed breeds.
    Although they were adults when I got them we had no issues keeping them inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sily question but how do we stop them from wanting to go outside..would they automatically want to go outside ( like scratch at the door to go out)

we have had a cat in the past, but we lived on a naval base and she didnt wander to far, she was very much a lay in the sun and sleep all day kinda girl but now we live on a major road and i know that a cat can be killed very easily hence no cat outside

we have 2 dogs that have the run of the house, they go through a doggy door, and im thinking we may have to close that off and let them in when we want but i know my FIL will hate that as its his house and 1 of the dogs is his..

i guess i need advice on how to train a kitten to be an indoor cat from day 1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a Russian Blue which is a beautiful cat and is reallly good with dd. she likes to stay inside and very rarely leaves the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siesmum View Post
    I have a Russian Blue which is a beautiful cat and is reallly good with dd. she likes to stay inside and very rarely leaves the house

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say a Burmese they're very affectionate and are good to be kept indoors.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Louise41  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=btmac; when they are inside all the time if they meow a lot (like Siamese) it will drive you bonkers.
    .[/QUOTE]

That's what I was going to add. I have a Siamese and she is really "talkative" and can be a right pain.

I have found with cats in the past that if they get an idea of what it's like outside they just want more. So keeping them inside from the beginning is better.

Lots of entertainment and attention required when indoors. Simple toys can come from anything (my cats have loved a rolled up ball of tin foil, a peanut, ribbon etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have an Oriental and a Siamese (same breed different markings). They are vocal, but they are also very social and friendly. They make excellent indoor cats if you are ok with the chatting!

Any kitten can be trained as an indoor cat though, as long as you get them as kittens. It is harder with an adult cat if they have previously had an outdoor life.

As for toys, we often suspend socks or little cat balls off string from the curtain rail- hours of feline fun!