+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whether they had the choice to kill her is irrelevant. It wasn't heroic. It is ludicrous to say that it was a heroic thing to shoot a woman dead in front of her child.

    What did she think would happen? In the depths of PND who the heck knows. I find these flippant remarks along the lines of "she should have known better, and what did she think would happen" really disturbing actually, mental illness is not rational.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Gandalf  (05-10-2013),Purple Lily  (05-10-2013)

  3. #62
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is the bleeding white house, as IF they don't have those road spikes. As if. There are other things they could have done rather than shoot to kill.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    oozzle  (05-10-2013)

  5. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Whether they had the choice to kill her is irrelevant. It wasn't heroic. It is ludicrous to say that it was a heroic thing to shoot a woman dead in front of her child.

    What did she think would happen? In the depths of PND who the heck knows. I find these flippant remarks along the lines of "she should have known better, and what did she think would happen" really disturbing actually, mental illness is not rational.
    I do completely agree with this, I just disagree that we should be villanizing the officers involved.

    As far as her PND, I completely agree that she wouldn't have had proper knowledge of the consequences of her actions. OR I think she was suicidal and this outcome was her intention, again not rational due to her PND.

  6. #64
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Maybe that's because Australia hasn't seen half the crap that the US has (terrorist attacks etc)
    I don't think it has anything to do with that at all. The culture is completely different. The right to bear arms mentality etc. It has nothing to do with terrorist attacks. And if it did, then why would Ireland, Northern Ireland and England and vast amounts of other countries be the same, they have had far, far more terrorism in their history than America and you just don't see anywhere the same amount of gun heroism there as you do in America.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Gandalf  (05-10-2013)

  8. #65
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I agree, I am not sure there is another answers to what they could have done. But I felt physically ill, when the Washington spokeswoman started gushing about the "heroic" act of her officer. I thought it was very tasteless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I do completely agree with this, I just disagree that we should be villanizing the officers involved.

    As far as her PND, I completely agree that she wouldn't have had proper knowledge of the consequences of her actions. OR I think she was suicidal and this outcome was her intention, again not rational due to her PND.

  9. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yes, I agree, I am not sure there is another answers to what they could have done. But I felt physically ill, when the Washington spokeswoman started gushing about the "heroic" act of her officer. I thought it was very tasteless.
    I think that comment has more to do with the situations these officers find themselves in, that they are heroes just for doing their jobs and putting themselves in harms way, not that they shot and killed somebody.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

    ChickyBee  (05-10-2013),VicPark  (05-10-2013),wannawannabe  (05-10-2013)

  11. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As far as our gun culture, I won't get into that, what is happening in the US with shootings makes me sick and I would love to see America embrace similar gun laws to Australia, to not have so many people put so much value on this 'right.'

    But, I still think this outcome would have been the same anywhere.

  12. #68
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They could have worded it a million other ways, that is her job, she is a spokesperson - so you assume she should be good at it. "I want to say thanks to our officers, when faces with such a distressing situation, for carrying out their job in a calm and concise manner.......etc etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I think that comment has more to do with the situations these officers find themselves in, that they are heroes just for doing their jobs and putting themselves in harms way, not that they shot and killed somebody.

  13. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It is the bleeding white house, as IF they don't have those road spikes. As if. There are other things they could have done rather than shoot to kill.
    Apparently they actually weren't shooting to kill. They were shooting to stop the car, and it didn't work out so well. Also didn't know there was a child in there.

  14. #70
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ok, that is better. It still shouldn't be described as heroic!

    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Apparently they actually weren't shooting to kill. They were shooting to stop the car, and it didn't work out so well. Also didn't know there was a child in there.


 

Similar Threads

  1. please sign this petition!!! #possibly distressing#
    By MonkeySeeMonkeyDo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-06-2013, 03:21
  2. OMFG * POSSIBLY DISTRESSING* missing 2yo boy
    By MonkeySeeMonkeyDo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-05-2013, 08:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Little Kickers NSW
Little Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we provide a positive fun-filled soccer program for children aged 18 months -7 years in a vibrant, group play environment.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!