+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So sad. I really feel for that poor baby losing her mum and having to witness that.

Sorta ironic that all the politicians are sitting in the White House debating Obama's healthcare bill and then someone who could likely have benefited from a better health care system tries to drive through the barricades outside. Um, so does the US need a better health care system? How about yes....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to clear some things up...

The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) became a law in 2010 and became effective on Tuesday. Yes the republicans are still debating it and trying to play games by not approving a budget and trying to overturn 'obamacare' but it is not working and won't, as it's already a law and funded. Ironically it came into effect the day the govt. shutdown. This isn't the thread for me to go into what is going on with the shutdown and the budget but America now has a more affordable system for those that do not already have insurance. No matter how many tantrums the republicans throw, it has happened.

For those that do have insurance...America's private health system is great. There are also public programs available (both my sisters have had to use various programs for their physical and mental health).

Nobody knows this women's insurance status or her health history, you do not know if the system failed her, what help she sought or received, etc. you don't know if she seemed fine, like so many of us with depression do.

I will say this regarding insurance in the US, many employers provide health insurance, being that she was a dental hygienist I assume she had insurance (I know my uncle's dental practice provides insurance).

I'm sorry, I just constantly have to read comments in various threads about people's perceptions or generalizations about America and sometimes my undies get in a twist.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (06-10-2013),NancyBlackett  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    See I ask what would have happened to her if this had happened in Australia. Would she be dead? Most unlikely.
    @Jennaisme I agree with you on this one. With security guards trained differently a tragedy could have been avoided.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (05-10-2013),Mokeybear  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See I ask what would have happened to her if this had happened in Australia. Would she be dead? Most unlikely.
    @Jennaisme I agree with you on this one. With security guards trained differently a tragedy could have been avoided.
    Really? You think if somebody tried to drive a car into your capital and sent your police on a chase that there wouldn't be a similar outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Really? You think if somebody tried to drive a car into your capital and sent your police on a chase that there wouldn't be a similar outcome?
    No I don't. It hasn't happened here that I'm aware of so I couldn't say for sure, but no I don't. Some of the footage I saw had one guard with a gun in each hand. You wouldn't see that here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @Kirst33 I think with PND and depression generally many countries fail the sufferers. I don't think America is alone in that one (and my view on 'failure' has nothing to do with insurance but just depression goes undiagnosed daily). My family has suffered first hand in this regard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No I don't. It hasn't happened here that I'm aware of so I couldn't say for sure, but no I don't. Some of the footage I saw had one guard with a gun in each hand. You wouldn't see that here.
    Maybe that's because Australia hasn't seen half the crap that the US has (terrorist attacks etc)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

JR03  (05-10-2013),Kirst33  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty perplexed by that... She had hit a Secret Service agent at the White House and once stopped and surrounded at the Capital, continued to drive her car towards officers, what should they have done?

I recall some officers in Melbourne tasering a 12/13 year old boy to death a few years ago...

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kirst33 I think with PND and depression generally many countries fail the sufferers. I don't think America is alone in that one (and my view on 'failure' has nothing to do with insurance but just depression goes undiagnosed daily). My family has suffered first hand in this regard.
    Thanks Sonja! This is where I feel the conversation should be, why PND, and depression in general has such a stigma that victims feel they have to hide it, don't feel supported, etc. Not this constant turn of over-generalized opinions of the States.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I'm pretty perplexed by that... She had hit a Secret Service agent at the White House and once stopped and surrounded at the Capital, continued to drive her car towards officers, what should they have done?

I recall some officers in Melbourne tasering a 12/13 year old boy to death a few years ago...
    What about that French man with a knife that got shot by police in Sydney years ago.. Roni Levi?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast