+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    SO glad she pooed! What a relief, and it's freaky just how much comes out!

Something else I remembered that I do with my son is make sure his little stool is in front of the toilet when he sits on it, so he has something to put his feet on, as when you are pooing, it helps to be able to push it out if your feet are on something solid.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Bergeron  (07-10-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our doctor told us NOT to stop the movicole because this will just happen again, he said to keep using it until we find she gets runny stools from it. Which could be months.

Even when it gets runny, you still have to slowly slowly adjust the dose down, if you stop suddenly, the problem starts all over again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MilkingMaid, she has a little ladder thing with a seat attached that sits over the toilet (just a training seat with a ladder if that makes sense) and she rests her feet on that.
    I've just been telling her to bend over slightly and watch her toes wiggle so her legs are above the hips.
    Usually she will feel the poo coming and sit upright and tense.
    Hopefully now this blockage is cleared and movicole now has a chance to work we will have less pain involved.

She has done another 2 poos since I last posted.
    There quite runny now but still lots and lots! I just can't believe how much waste a little person can hold.
    No wonder she has been the way she is
    She is still upset when she feels the need to go, but it's kind of just been sliding out and once that first pat is over she will push herself a bit, which we have been praising her for.
    After it's all done she is happy and excited about it all.
    I'm hoping now we can slowly start to move foward and avoid her getting this backed up in future.

Her bowel must be quite enlarged at the moment, just going by how much has come out.
    Fingers crossed that with the dieticians help and the clinic we can make all this easier on her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have nothing to add to the great advice you have been getting but I'm very happy to read your update that you are getting somewhere! I smiled when I read about your DS helping by showing her the earrings what a good brother

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

Bergeron  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Bergeron it's great that it's runny as it means she simply cannot hold it in. As horrible and messy as it gets that's what needs to happen for her will to hold onto it to be overcome. Otherwise she will contract those muscles and the problem starts all over again.

Good luck I hope she's better soon. There was a study done many years ago where scientists replicated constipation symptoms in people of all different backgrounds and temperaments and found that within a short period of time all of them were beyond miserable and cranky. I used to get so embarrassed by DD1's behaviour when she was constipated as I knew all she had to do was poo and she'd be happy. It seemed just so simple to me. But to her it was the hardest thing in the world to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaandOllie View Post
    I have nothing to add to the great advice you have been getting but I'm very happy to read your update that you are getting somewhere! I smiled when I read about your DS helping by showing her the earrings what a good brother
    You have been a huge help!
    Thank you!

I didn't want to have to resort to the enema, but for the time being I just didn't know what else to do.
    All plan just seem to go out the window when she gets that upset over it.
    I'm relieved she didn't get scared by it.
    I'm glad we were able to make it as positive as we could for her.

He is a good big brother... At times
    I think he was just as stressed as all of us over this. His days at home have been utterly boring I'm sure since it started.
    I feel like I've pushed him to the side during all this
    I was only just saying to dh this coming weekend I would like to take ds to the movies and lunch, just me and ds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @Bergeron it's great that it's runny as it means she simply cannot hold it in. As horrible and messy as it gets that's what needs to happen for her will to hold onto it to be overcome. Otherwise she will contract those muscles and the problem starts all over again.

Good luck I hope she's better soon. There was a study done many years ago where scientists replicated constipation symptoms in people of all different backgrounds and temperaments and found that within a short period of time all of them were beyond miserable and cranky. I used to get so embarrassed by DD1's behaviour when she was constipated as I knew all she had to do was poo and she'd be happy. It seemed just so simple to me. But to her it was the hardest thing in the world to do.
    With it being runny would you still give some movicole before bed? I'm unsure wether to leave it for tonight and start fresh tomorrow night or if to just keep going so it has no chance to get worse?
    I'm just afraid of overdoing it.

Yes!! My thoughts exactly.
    It becomes such a drawn out long and painful process where as if she just spent those couple of minutes pushing in a bit of discomfort/pain it would be a whole lot better.
    I suppose that's what gets me so frustrated as their is a solution but she just can't understand that yet.

I know she is young and doesn't understand that and to her it seems easier to hold it in because she thinks the pain will go or if she pushes it will be more painful.
    It just gets hard to keep reminding myself of that.
    It also doesn't help when she gets so cranky and I have family members who aren't around to see how bad it is, and they just tell me to use prune juice, or a laxative etc and just don't understand that I've tried that with no luck!
    It makes me feel like I'm alone in this or overreacting.

I have diverticulitis, it causes constipation and I know how painful it can be and how grumpy I get but I know how much worse it is if I don't catch it soon enough and I'm left talking myself through everything on the toilet having a cry for quite awhile.
    In the past, because of what I have, I've had a lot of patience for all this as I've just sympathised. But holy sh*t this last week has had me going insane.
    I've had other things going on like our injured dog who I'm nursing, never ending in law drama that's all left on me as dh works away out of phone range and is oblivious 4-5 days out of a week with what's going on

I'm so glad I've found this forum.
    I was on another but never have experienced this kind of online support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I so glad to hear I could be of help @Bergeron, as everyone who has experienced this has said, I know how truly awful it is so to be able to help someone else in the same situation is at least one good thing we gained from our experience.
    It sounds as if you absolutely did the right thing using the enema, tmi but I once had to resort to that myself (DD takes after her mum!) after days of movicol was making things worse and a doctor visit telling me everything was just moving backwards, it was definitely worth it to stop the pain!!
    I know you've obviously been very stressed out and you probably don't feel this way but i think it sounds like you have handled everything so well. Doing things like showing your DD her earings in the mirror when she got upset and explaining the enema to her, you've done a really fantastic job in a really tough situation and you should be proud (DH sounds like a keeper to ).
    I'm sure your DS will love a movie together just the two of you, it might be just what you both need

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

Bergeron  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol, we had a doctor tell us to go home and give DD a laxative and she'd be right. I was on the verge of tears asking but what about after that, this isn't a once of its all the time! He was just stumped like no it can't be all the time once she goes this once she will be okay. He just couldn't understand. Another time in the ER a doc told us it was an infected bowel and to go home and give neurofen and Panadol 4 hourly for 3 days
    As for the movicol today I also asked DH and we think we would have started it again tomorrow BUT it has been a few years since our experience especially the beginning of DDs treatment so we could very well be wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great to hear! I remember how great it felt when we finally got a poo. Unfortunately you will have to keep at it, it's great that she tolerated the micro lax, it can help ease your mind knowing you have that as a back up. Maybe try getting her to sit on the toilet after meals? Anyway, great news!