+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    How many days is she Bergeron?
    Personally if she is a few days and that worked up I would work on using a microlax enema on her.
    We have used glycerine supps on our sin, but now he pushes them out. Microlax will stimulate the bowel to push the poo out.

Maybe not ideal, but you can work from there at getting her regular.

I hate poo.
    Seriously.
    I hate it
    The last time she did a good full poo was 14 odd days ago.

During that time she has done a nugget/almond size poo here and there and one that was a bit bigger but still nothing like what I expect to be in her bowel.
    I'm starting to think there is some kind of blockage or the poo has now turned very hard.

Do you do the enema yourself?

I'm taking her back to the dr this morning.
    I don't know exactly what I want him to offer us or what he can suggest that he hasn't already.
    But I'm just lost on what to do for today and tomorrow.
    I'm still calling the clinic on Wednesday as I'm hoping they can help us long term.

Dd was awake at 2am, trying to poo (well trying to hold it back) I cannot talk to her when she is like this or calm her down as she just screams and shuts me out.
    Her tummy is back to being hard, bloated and gassy.
    After she successfully kept the poo back she went back to bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you try and gradually expose her to the idea of poo? Read stories about poo and talk to her about what happens? Step by step rather than making it something that everyone being fearful too. This might take a while but might help her psychologically overcome it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were first starting treatment with our pead, we were put on a high dose to start with and a toilet regime. The aim was to sit on the toilet without mention of poo. Just 2 people hanging in the toilet playing games, after every meal for 5 mins at a time. Reward for sitting, reward for poo.

The idea of the high dose was to get the impaction moving so that he physically could not hold it in and it would eventually fall into the toilet against his will.

Sounds horrible but once the impaction was cleared we were starting with a clean slate so to speak. My ds went from full toilet refusal to taking himself within a week. He has been constipated since about 20 months, he is 5 now. We still battle it but it's so much better.

We have been through coloxyl, parachoc, movicol and osmolax to name a few, our issue is now we can't wean without the constipation coming back.

Be careful that you aren't making the issue worse with too much fibre and not enough water, if you over do it you will make it much worse.

Start a stool chart for your continence nurse - record any stools, level of discomfort, any medication, time and date and where they fall on the bristol stool chart. She can then see any pattern and where you are at.

I wish there was a magic solution but as someone said earlier this is a long term problem with a long term solution. Hang in there, you're not alone.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yes, in desperation I got a script for enemas from my doc and would do it myself, it is very easy to do.
    you *may* be able to get a couple otc from the chemist, I'm not sure TBH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Microlax enemas are OTC. Make sure you get some ky jelly for them too.

It is easier to insert if you lie your child on their left side and get them to bend knees to chest.

Micro lax are chemical based, so they will actually stimulate the bowel and force a poo out.

It may be that you are at a stage where you need to clear her, THEN start with a clean slate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maia - what were you using a high dose of?
    I need to get this happening in our house too. DS just refuses to go to toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good news.
    We seen our dr this morning.
    He wanted to try suppositories (sp?)
    I told him I wanted something that would act faster as she was in obvious pain, she could hardly walk this morning and was screaming the place down at the drs which is unlike her. Usually she acts better at the drs and makes us look like liars

He agreed on an enema, he told me I didn't need a script he wrote a few down that would be good and to just see what the pharmacist had in stock (only 1 pharmacy open in town today)

I was stressing so much about this, I was thinking an enema = big bag with a hose contraption that needed 2 adults to hold her down in the bath tub.
    The pharmacist (who we know very well now) went through the different ones with us, took his time explaining how it's all used and how each one works, he was able to get dd to help in the "decision making process" asking her what colours she liked on the packs etc, we all agreed on mircolax 5ml. The pharmacist put a sticker on the pack and bagged it for dd to carry. She felt rather important and it seemed to cheer her up a bit which made me smile.
    I'm going to have to send that pharmacist a card, he has been such a big help lately.
    I was relieved to see the enema wasn't a bag/hose thing that I was expecting to have to do.
    I felt more confident knowing it was just a very small system that looked quick to insert and not at all scary.

I sat down with dd and explained what I was going to do, and what we were hoping would happen so she could feel better, she loves those stick on earring things so I told her if she just relaxed and let me make it better she could have some sticker earrings. She surprisingly was all for it.
    I was pretty shocked with how easy it was, she spent the whole time laughing as dh was up near her head pulling faces and ds was showing her the earrings.
    It was all over with in 30 seconds and she didn't flinch. Which I just don't understand as the past few days I could hardly even touch the area no matter what I offered as reward.

After it was done she said her bum was "hot" but I just told her that's the cream making everything easier.
    She started getting flustered again and started screaming. I just sat with her through this in front of a mirror so she could see her stick on earrings. It seemed to help her at times.

An hour after it was done we still had no movement, called the pharmacist and he told us to do another one and if no luck that it might be an idea to head to the hospital.
    I decided just to give it a few more minutes before giving her another one.
    Well TMI, the noises from her belly were pretty bad, I gave her a rub on her tummy and SUCESS!!!
    So much came out.
    The first bit that came out was very very hard I'll try keep details to a minimum but it wasn't very nice at all.
    After that everything just followed and followed and followed.... For a good while it seemed never ending.

My husband told me to go hang out by myself for the rest of today and read a book or nap so I can de-stress a bit. It's helping as I feel completely drained.
    Dd is happy now and running around outside with her brother and dad watering the plants and doing washing.
    She is so much happier since getting all that out.

Our doctor told us NOT to stop the movicole because this will just happen again, he said to keep using it until we find she gets runny stools from it. Which could be months.
    The pharmacist said we should also notice the movicole working properly if the enema was to do its job and unlock to colon.
    We also have a referral to a dietitian for dd in regards to her diet to see if anything needs changing with fibre intake.
    Ill book into see her, I'm still going to go to the continence clinic. Hopefully they can see us sooner rather than later to get a plan sorted out for us.

I'll keep you all updated with how we go with everything.
    But I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who replied to this thread.
    It's been a massive help for me.
    Even if it is online I've felt like I've had a lot of support.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bergeron For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (07-10-2013),HowCrazyCool  (07-10-2013),MilkingMaid  (07-10-2013),moongazer  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to share a tip the nurse at the drs told me today as well, I haven't tried it yet but will give it a go.
    She said when we put dd on the toilet after meals to get her use to sitting for periods of time to give he a ballon to try and blow up, or start teaching her how to blow up a ballon.
    The movement of blowing the ballon is a good movement to use when pushing, usually when kids blow a ballon they bear down in their bottoms and it can give them good muscle control down there to expel larger stools more easy.
    She said we didn't have to mention anything about a poo when doing this, just to make it a little ritual we add into our after meal toilet sittings and kids are non the wiser and it's a ballon, so no doubt dd will love it.
    I'm looking forward to giving it a go.
    It can't hurt and sound fun for her either way.

ETA: sorry, a Balloon! Not ballon.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bergeron For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (07-10-2013),HowCrazyCool  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the update, and thank goodness for the relief of your DD and yourself! Have a nice rest

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Bergeron  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    That's great news you got her cleared. Your posts really do take me back to when dd1 used to get constipated. She would scream and scream for days.

One thing our paed did tell me was that when kids are constantly constipated they basically train their sphincter muscles to contract when they feel a poo coming as they associate that feeling with pain and hurt. So no matter how much we encourage, or talk to them, or hug them, the poo won't come on its own. Dd1 was on an oil based drink for several months to help "retrain" those muscles. Basically it meant the poo would slide out regardless of whether her muscles tried to keep it in.

Just something else to bear in mind.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Bergeron  (07-10-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast