+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1991 View Post
    Thanks for the confidence boost! I just never experienced this with my second child and didn't feed the first so I'm feeling very disheartens and failure thinking his not getting enough to be satisfied! I also don't have much great support as my step mum is very very pro formula and already had a tin and bottle when I was 30 weeks! She is telling me he should sleep longer and be satisfied! And she was also the reason instopped at 4mth with my 2nd
    You really are doing a fantastic job! Your baby's tummy is tiny, and needs to feed frequently, sleep will come in time. Your baby is tiny. Please just continue doing what you are.

Your step mum is going to sabotage your feeding relationship, there is no need to doubt yourself, just continue. She seems very anti b/f, do you know anyone who has /is b/f who can offer you support?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried the dummy and continue to try as I suspect it may be comfort! However I don't want to then loose milk as I feel as if I already don't have enough (already feel very empty) with my second I could hear him guzzling the milk with this one nothing! His attachment is fine and all that and his having wet nappies! I don't know just feeling a little deflated and defeated at the moment that I can't offer him enough goodness to keep him settled for an hour or two

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My little one did this at exactly the same age, every 40 minutes for a full 24 hours and the next day I woke up with my breasts leaking, my blessed milk had come in properly! i don't remember it with my first but good friends reminded me that bubba was just busy establishing my supply and it settled soon after,

Thanks
    Reviews
    So if he is happily taking the dummy now should I take it out will this hinder my milk coming in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I personally wouldn't offer the dummy instead of the breast at this early stage because your breasts need the stimulation of sucking to get the message to produce milk. Unless of course you are beside yourself and need a little break, in which case you do what you have to do. It really is exhausting when you're probably already so bloody tired!! But this too, shall pass.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1991 View Post
    I have tried the dummy and continue to try as I suspect it may be comfort! However I don't want to then loose milk as I feel as if I already don't have enough (already feel very empty) with my second I could hear him guzzling the milk with this one nothing! His attachment is fine and all that and his having wet nappies! I don't know just feeling a little deflated and defeated at the moment that I can't offer him enough goodness to keep him settled for an hour or two
    This is normal. The first few days your bub is working hard to bring in your milk and let your body know how much to make. Try not to offer a dummy just yet- all the feeding from you will help your supply establish and regulate. Every baby is different, it won't be like this forever. Remember, he's only just come in to the world and you are the only thing he knows. If he needs you for comfort as well as milk' that's perfectly normal and natural too. It sounds like you are doing a great job. His tummy is so small and your milk is obviously very easy for him to digest- this is normal and good that he's having plenty of wet nappies. Hang in there, this will settle in the next day or two. If he's having wet nappies and gaining weight there is zero need for formula- if you want to breastfeed, try to avoid it and don't let anyone pressure you otherwise. Introducing it so early can damage your supply. That's not to say you can't mix feed later on if you want to but this early, I know from experience, avoid it if breastfeeding is what you want to do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the support! His been much better tonight he finished feeding at 10.30 and in still waiting for him to wake up now at nearly 3am! So he is definitely making up for the sleep he missed today

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did the rest of your night go? And how's this morning been?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's been better after his feed at 3 he fed again at 5 and then at 7 his current still sleep and it's nearly ten! I feel much better after venting and getting positive feedback here! It's very hard having a step mum who is very pro formula! I still don't feel very full in the boobs as I did with my second so I guess my supply isn't fully there yet!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi1991 For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (04-10-2013)

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done!
    Good job for hanging in there.
    They say it gets easier with every bub....I think "they" lie lol
    My 2nd was/is harder than my first.

Sounds like your milk is coming in properly now

DH(31)+ Me(25)=